Buntline or anchor knot

Buntline or anchor knot on lifeline termination?

• Total voters

bwktreeserv

Scaffold, so nice and clean as the tail goes up parallel. It's great on a biner because you can slip it off and untie easily after its been loaded. The only advantage of the anchor is it isn;t quite as bulky and works a little better with a hitch climber set up. For the hitch climber Ddrt setup a splice is the best. But, it doesn't matter all if you climb SRT! :)

I used the anchor for years. I quite using it after seeing it loosen up while climbing. (The knot unties easily.) One of my co-workers in another office fell 30' because of this. I switched to the buntline, it is secure and I can untie it without unclipping the boner.

Petr

Buntline is great when anchoring around a greater diameter object (a tree, a mooring post, ...) or if the rope itself is huge (try to tie some knot with some big ass rope to a small mooring post where you cannot fit more then one or two wraps :) ). For carabiner I use doubleoverhand (fisherman/scaffold/however you name it).

G00p

If I’m tying a closed system Blake’s hitch with a carabiner, I’ll use an anchor hitch with a long tail... the bunt line works nicely in the same application but with a rope snap. I use a hitch climber system or zigzag for my primary system with a splice, so I only really utilize that when tail-tying.

I’ve found that if you don’t have a splice at your disposal, the anchor seems to work best as a termination in a hitch climber system. It doesn’t seem to bump the hitch and release it like a double or triple fisherman’s does.

When I first started climbing with eye-to-eyes, I would tie my own with scaffold knots, tie a double or triple fisherman’s as the climbing line termination, add a basic micro-pulley, and attach both carabiners to my bridge connection. I still love climbing that way from time to time.

Phil

I used the anchor for years. I quite using it after seeing it loosen up while climbing. (The knot unties easily.) One of my co-workers in another office fell 30' because of this. I switched to the buntline, it is secure and I can untie it without unclipping the boner.
I think the anchor performance as far as being able to tie dress and set, along with many other knots is dependent on the rope characteristics. I use the anchor every climb on poison ivy line. never any issues with loosening. Can you recall what rope was being used? are you positive your coworker tied dressed and set it properly?

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom