balance points for basic rigging

Daniel

Not exactly: he tipped tied a piece that helicoptered close to another climber in the same tree.
The other climber was absolutely scared as the piece was moving wildly around in his direction and cried out "let it down let it down". You could feel the other climber's helplessness as he had no control over his own safety and was just hoping that the ground man would do his job and keep him safe.

That particular cut there was absolutely no need to tip tie, as there was plenty of distance /height to let the piece drop tip first. If he had but-tied it the whole piece would have swung down and away from the other climber. Corey recognized it after I politely pointed out his error in the comment section.

And to be clear I'm absolutely not against tip-tying and use it on a fairly regular basis and absolutely consider it an essential and valuable technique to keep in the tool Box. However, needless tip tying is needless and potentially quite dangerous, as seen all too often on YouTube

Last edited:

samsquatch

I didn't watch it either but I think Daniel is renaming the common peel cut as his "rip cut". whereas you have no face cut and only a backcut, the idea being that the limb drops slower and the butt remains attached for a period of time as the sapwood/cambium of the limb peels away from the leader. Only works well on some species, when they're green. And only suitable for removals since it leaves such a gnarly scar.

Buckin' films this technique all the time in his conifers.

Daniel

Have to respectfully disagree with you on the "only some species when they are green".

Its often just a matter of making a faster easier cut. You won't get much holding from the ripping fibers of deadwood, but that doesn't matter in many cases. It's just an easy cut that leaves no stub. As long as there is no line or lanyard below the cut, its usually a better option than an undercut and of course only for removals.