Akimbo Rope Runner Pro Free-fall ....

dsptech

I find all these reports of the Akimbo sliding on a slack line really odd. The very first thing I do when putting the Akimbo on a rope is to set the top cam adjuster tight enough that it will grab every time on a slack rope or otherwise That is a mandatory base setting for safe use and the top arm should not be adjusted below that setting.

If you do that, how are you then getting it to slide when you are using it in the tree?
8:57 mark

CutHighnLetFly

8:57 mark
I'm confused why you think the akimbo wouldn't grab if you fell into it as you've described it. If the rope is slack and it's not tuned perfect or "can't be tuned" perfectly, what ever the case, none ofnthsy stops it from actually engaging and maybe sliding down with you on it slowly if it's that poorly adjusted. By design, when loaded its interacts with the rope in a total different way then not, unlike the runner or bulldog bone. I dont like the akimbo for me (forever ruined by the BDB), but it tends up a rope unlike any other srt mechanical device.

dsptech

I'm confused why you think the akimbo wouldn't grab if you fell into it as you've described it. If the rope is slack and it's not tuned perfect or "can't be tuned" perfectly, what ever the case, none ofnthsy stops it from actually engaging and maybe sliding down with you on it slowly if it's that poorly adjusted. By design, when loaded its interacts with the rope in a total different way then not, unlike the runner or bulldog bone. I dont like the akimbo for me (forever ruined by the BDB), but it tends up a rope unlike any other srt mechanical device.
I'm totally up for volunteers to test this.
Would you or anyone feel confident enough to try it multiple times so we can calculate the odds?
We can measure how many inches or feet you drop on your preferred rope and settings before it does or doesn't grab.
You would be doing a great service to your fellow Akimbo users.
Break out your GoPro and start uploading your vids. :bananas::X3:

CutHighnLetFly

Would you or anyone feel confident enough to try it multiple times so we can calculate the odds?
We can measure how many inches or feet you drop on your preferred rope and settings before it does or doesn't grab.
Sorry I didn't take footage while using the device.... definitely never had a random drop to my death or injury tho. Before using it in a tree I did all sorts of testing on the ground to find out what to expect. The scenario you mentioned was one of the first things I was checking for, to make sure with slack in the system if I feel into the device it would hold. And it did.
So your witty answers aside, knowing the connection point on the device, when loaded, is biting down on the rope, can you answer the question as to why it would just go into free fall?
I can let you air out a few more jokes if you'd like, answer whenever you're ready

Tree-Taylor

Those tests would have already been conducted by Rock Exotica. That is why they listed approved ropes that will interact appropriately with the device.

dsptech

Sorry I didn't take footage while using the device.... definitely never had a random drop to my death or injury tho. Before using it in a tree I did all sorts of testing on the ground to find out what to expect. The scenario you mentioned was one of the first things I was checking for, to make sure with slack in the system if I feel into the device it would hold. And it did.
So your witty answers aside, knowing the connection point on the device, when loaded, is biting down on the rope, can you answer the question as to why it would just go into free fall?
I can let you air out a few more jokes if you'd like, answer whenever you're ready
I have no interest in taking part in was has turned out to be a pissing match for some.
I will capitulate and magnanimously state that I must be obviously wrong based on the expert point of view of a few people posting in this thread.
So it must be understood that, with it properly configured, it is completely safe to have your Akimbo hanging down below your bridge in a collapsed state.
You may step, jump, or fall off a limb with the knowledge that you will be completely safe with doing so as your Akimbo will grab and stop your fall with 100% certainty every time.
In the absolutely impossibe freakish event that this proves to be false you, your family, loved ones, and friends should not contact Rock Exotica or @JMerritt but refer to the resident experts in this thread who will happily provide information how you were doing it wrong.

Tree-Taylor

I have no interest in taking part in was has turned out to be a pissing match for some.
I will capitulate and magnanimously state that I must be obviously wrong based on the expert point of view of a few people posting in this thread.
So it must be understood that, with it properly configured, it is completely safe to have your Akimbo hanging down below your bridge in a collapsed state.
You may step, jump, or fall off a limb with the knowledge that you will be completely safe with doing so as your Akimbo will grab and stop your fall with 100% certainty every time.
In the absolutely impossibe freakish event that this proves to be false you, your family, loved ones, and friends should not contact Rock Exotica or @JMerritt but refer to the resident experts in this thread who will happily provide information how you were doing it wrong.
There's no mob attack campaign here, and there's nothing wrong with voicing concerns about a relatively new product. Look at the Zigzag, it was user concern that brought about change with that device.

Much like certain hitches, the Akimbo needs to be set and adjusted properly to the user's preferred rope choice. From my experience increasing the top setting has provided a quicker grab on the device.

Steve Connally

I'll just say out of the 7 different types and styles of ropes I have, Xstatic is the only rope I could get it adjusted on. The others would have the collapse issue described and or was like dragging an anchor on the way up. I do want to try it on the new Sampson line that should be here any day. I have absolutely no idea how I got it dialed in but it is. When I have slack it doesn't collapse and on ascent I don't feel like i'm climbing with somebody hanging off my bridge. I was really close to selling it and giving up but I finally found a rope I was smart enough to adjust it on. All the others I was way too dumb for the physics of it!

dsptech

There's no mob attack campaign here, and there's nothing wrong with voicing concerns about a relatively new product. Look at the Zigzag, it was user concern that brought about change with that device.
I am quite certain that was the intent of the OP and of my acknowledgment of a similar experience as well as others.
Lol, no mention of a mob anywhere that I'm aware of.
Maybe just a couple of 2-3 people and their little brother Run that seem to be suffering from a little defensive fanurism that come off sounding like anyone experiencing issues must be stoopid :hueco: :risas:
Much like certain hitches, the Akimbo needs to be set and adjusted properly to the user's preferred rope choice. From my experience increasing the top setting has provided a quicker grab on the device.
This was my experience as well, if I went any tighter on the top I couldn't break the beak.
Was using HTP from the approved list but still experienced the device collapsing when slack.

Last edited:

CutHighnLetFly

Apologies Swing and anybody else offended.
Edited.
Listen man, maybe you find me abrasive but all I'm asking is why would the device not engage?
The only thing that makes this device and the bulldog bone slide up and down on a loaded rope is when you have ascenders on fully loaded, like upon ascension. You would have to do something pretty wild to go into any sort of free fall, i can't really imagine what.
Because of my lack of imagination, that is why I'm asking you why wouldn't the device engage.
This isn't a passing match, im just entering discussion. You'll know when I'm in a passing match

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Listen man, maybe you find me abrasive but all I'm asking is why would the device not engage?
The only thing that makes this device and the bulldog bone slide up and down on a loaded rope is when you have ascenders on fully loaded, like upon ascension. You would have to do something pretty wild to go into any sort of free fall, i can't really imagine what.
Because of my lack of imagination, that is why I'm asking you why wouldn't the device engage.
This isn't a passing match, im just entering discussion. You'll know when I'm in a passing match
Pissing Andre. And you are a very cool cucumber. Not sure what is happening here. Seems miscommunication somewhere.

Tree-Taylor

I am quite certain that was the intent of the OP and of my acknowledgment of a similar experience as well as others.
I am one of the others that experienced the same issue...I'm interested in all user input.

There seems to be a thin margin of operation with this device. User weight, rope diameter, rope firmness, rope condition, device settings, device condition, etc, all have huge impacts on the device's performance and many of those factors are variable over time. One adjustment may remove one issue but add another.

dsptech

I am one of the others that experienced the same issue...I'm interested in all user input.

There seems to be a thin margin of operation with this device. User weight, rope diameter, rope firmness, rope condition, device settings, device condition, etc, all have huge impacts on the device's performance and many of those factors are variable over time. One adjustment may remove one issue but add another.
You are exactly right about this.
Your adjustment can go out during the same climb.
With 1/2" HTP Static during a large removal the diameter of the rope decreased to the point that a section of the rope became stiff as a stick.
Around 2.5" of it above the Akimbo would stand up on it's own.
Go out on a limb walk after that and tell me that slack couldn't be introduced into the rope.
There is no such thing as proper adjustment unless your climbing straight up and descending right after you reach the top and call it a day or shake out your rope and repeat.

If you working that rope over during the day it will go out of adjustment at some point depending on the rope, your weight, weather conditions (humid, dry), and other factors.
It's wicked sensitive and if you don't have the patience of a saint you will get frustrated quickly.
I got to the point were I couldn't use it as a reliable day to day real work device with 100% confidence unless I was spurring up a telephone pole.

Edit:
I wanted to add that the Akimbo is seriously an engineering marvel.
I wish I had an original to compare it to.
I can't help feel that along the way, in RE hands, the compromises that must have been made due to cost, time, and pressure, impacted the end result.

I lusted after this thing since I first read about it and watched videos.
I looked to buy one thinking it was already on the market.
Crushed to find out it wasn't yet, and immediately bought one when it became available after an excruciating wait.
Got the very first one Gap sold and wanted to love it but it didn't love me back. :cry:

When the next version becomes available I'll pounce on it the second it comes out.
I have faith in Jamie.

Last edited:

DSMc

I can honestly say that I have never been in a situation were I felt my safety was being compromised when using the Akimbo.

The OPs question, which sounds like having to hand set it after an ascent while using a rope-walking setup, is a common problem with many climbing aids, even hitch cords, and is not indicative of how the device will work while in a normal climbing mode.

If the settings needed changing, for whatever reason, I just took a few seconds and did that.

I also adhere to not allowing slack into my system when it's support is needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

JMerritt

Those tests would have already been conducted by Rock Exotica. That is why they listed approved ropes that will interact appropriately with the device.
These are exactly the trope of tests that rock Exotica performed. Slack line fall from above the tie in point. To my knowledge no rope failed to engage at all, however on some ropes the Akimbo slid farther than CE standards allow. Thus the approved rope list.
part of owning and using any climbing equipment is doing a pre climb inspection. Always check that the spring and upper cam are freely moving and not gummed up or stuck. This can cause the Akimbo to slide down the rope when UNweighted, however, as soon as it is weighted it will still grab (same as the bd bone grabs without a spring mechanism). Hope that clears things up.

moss

As I say constantly to new climbers when I see them feet on a limb with slack between them and their TIP, "Tighten up!". Ruling out upper cam/spring lube issues this strikes me more as a difference in climbing style than a device issue.
-AJ

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom