acronyms

TreeLogic

Well, I originally didn't like the idea of changing the acronyms but I'm afraid I'm mending my ways.

If SRT means Single Rope Technique, and DRT means Double Rope Technique, and these acronyms were already in existence (way before DdRT I might add), then future acronyms should play off this foundation that was laid.

Therefore, DdRT - Doubled Rope Technique is screwing up previously-coined acronyms. It warrants a change IMHO.

Oh well, change never comes easily.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
DdRT has been in common useage for close to 20 years. The term has been used in many publications as well as the ISA dictionary of Arbo terms.

Starting a new meme using different terms to describe our ever-changing climbing systems is a great idea

Leroy

I wonder if any who posted in this thread have changed their approach to or opinion on this topic, @oceans I know you've been doing training for quite awhile, what terms do you use to describe the systems and techniques in your training sessions?

Last edited:

oceans

I wonder if any who posted in this thread have changed their approach to or opinion on this topic, @oceans I know you've been doing training for quite awhile, what terms do you use to describe the systems and techniques in your training sessions? @treebing you briefly mentioned identifying based on the MA used, that is a cool idea to me worth consideration.
You know, Levi, I’ve actually come to accept MRS & SRS. I like the ‘S’ on the end for ‘System’, because it really allows us to relate to things beyond climbing. Some time ago, Paul (@SoftBankHawks) enlightened me with the idea that the term “Rigging” can apply to anything from life support to lowering wood. In that light, the term technique is perhaps a bit short sighted.

When rigging, we configure a system which can be moving or stationary, although in some cases both. The acronyms can surely get out of hand, so moving and stationary seem to describe the system most efficiently. Thinking of a recent workshop and a recent talk @ Expo, I often left “Rope” out of the picture, saying I most often climb “Stationary”, or climb on a “Stationary System”.

A few climbing systems blur the lines. The Twin Rope Technique (TRT) is one for sure, because the belay tool can be a pair of hitches. In that case, it could be used as the French system was used, climbing Stationary or Moving. TRT with the Rope Runner can only be used Stationary to climb and Moving to retrieve. I think the most accurate acronym for TRT rather up in the air...M/SRS??? Again, it could get out of hand.

This was another impression Paul made on me, in that the Japanese climbers seem to appreciate giving a name to a technique and referring to that, rather than referring to an acronym. This gave birth to the term “Ghosting”, or the “Ghost Technique”. I have more pleasant associations in my brain with Ghosting than SRS. The names seem to keep it all fun and light, but there’s a time for each...

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom