When people try to do their own treework

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
The people who are determined they can pull the heavy leaner leader right above their roof with a rope and a guy pulling with a pickup truck to save a buck might not care what you have to say. Their mind is made up.

Then there may be a few select people who genuinely question if it’s something they may be able to do themselves and ask for your opinion, at which case if you think it is beyond the safe capabilities of a homeowner you make your recommendation.

Ultimately all we can do is advise and give our professional while also polite opinion.

We can’t stop homeowners from trying to do it themselves, only educate on the potential risks and dangers when appropriate.

Videos like this on YouTube don’t help the situation either when people search how to remove a tree themselves and this pops up at the very top:

At least he is using a handsaw and getting out of the tree before the action. Better than some. Obviously not the most efficient or safety minded.

treesap

The people who are determined they can pull the heavy leaner leader right above their roof with a rope and a guy pulling with a pickup truck to save a buck might not care what you have to say. Their mind is made up.

Then there may be a few select people who genuinely question if it’s something they may be able to do themselves and ask for your opinion, at which case if you think it is beyond the safe capabilities of a homeowner you make your recommendation.

Ultimately all we can do is advise and give our professional while also polite opinion.

We can’t stop homeowners from trying to do it themselves, only educate on the potential risks and dangers when appropriate.

Videos like this on YouTube don’t help the situation either when people search how to remove a tree themselves and this pops up at the very top:

atleast he had his hi-vis (ish) hoodie on, he's good

climbingmonkey24

At least he is using a handsaw and getting out of the tree before the action. Better than some. Obviously not the most efficient or safety minded.

What concerns me is someone searches how to remove a tree yourself on youtube and sees that, and then goes and tries to do it themselves thinking that's okay because in this particular situation they got it on the ground, nobody hurt, etc.

Someone could replicate that and get themselves or others seriously injured or worse.

And I will admit I have seen much worse on YouTube.

Al_trees

I slammed out a silver maple that used to be a four foot high stump but was now like 12 or so leaders growing to the sky in a front yard. Dropped them all around obsticles, just short of specific shrubs etc. Felled three dead elms as well.
The homeowner came out while I was sharpening my saw afterwards and my groundman was still skidding trees to the chipper cleaning up. He wanted some advice on how to fell something on his own in the back yard and how to sharpen a chain. He said it looked easy when I did it and there wasn't much too it.

I didn't get upset or even say anything rude. I simply stated "I am so good at what I do everything looks easy." Then added "your results will vary."

People are going to do what they are going to do. We cannot always change peoples minds or correct the problems of the world.

climbingmonkey24

My wife makes living with me look easy.

Okay, I’m just piggybacking, but I had to.

5df773cefd9db21a1c58b0c4

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom