Updated Sequoia

When Petzl started the rework of the Sequoia, it was in response to customer input on what changes they'd like to see. Not at all unlike the changes to the TreeMo harness. I'm not sure why there's so much hate for the company around here. There's only so much innovation going on at any time... it creeps up... and on the way, these companies jump all over their competitors ideas when they are good ones. Petzl has been in the game as long as any of them, longer than most. How many modern products are "rip offs" of early Petzl products?

When I first saw the TreeMo, I thought it looked like a ripoff of the Sequoia and a couple other saddles, like the Tree Austria. I can't help but chuckle at all the finger pointing, when every damn one of them keep releasing products that look (big surprise!) just like a dozen other company's products.

I'm a big fan of the ZigZag... am I the only one who sees the resemblance of several newer multicenders to the the ZZ?
Yet, they add a friction brake above it, ala RW, and everyone screams "ripoff"... do they consider that Petzl doesn't want the liability of the ZZ/RW combo when it puts the ZZ in a compromising configuration? So, because people keep asking them about the combo, they decide to fix the angular relationship between the ZZ and the friction brake, and keep it all under their roof so that they can cover the whole setup and ensure it's something they can accept liability risk for. A combination of doing it right, meeting customer demand, and bringing the ZZ into the SRT game without compromising the solid performance of the device.

Sorry, @rico but I don't share the Petzl hate. No MRT device comes close to the ZZ, most SRT ones would never have come about if the ZZ wasn't around to inspire them, and I've had better luck with their customer service than I have with some of the other big names. When they brought rock climbing saddle technologies to the Sequoia, they had the lightest harness on the market for a long time. They've since been copied so much it's crazy.

We're at a point where all of our gear will be improvements on existing products... sometimes just very minor ones... for awhile, until something way outside the box comes along.
 
Saw this in the Bartlett catalog. Notice no stopper knots.
View attachment 55620
The SRT model has a vertical loop in front like most rock climbing harnesses.

The stopper knots look like regular sewn eyes to me with a plastic cover. I'm certain it's been tested, but anyone have thoughts on loading the stitching of an eye like that? Seems like it would try to force apart the two legs of rope that are sewn.
 
Interesting.. been trying to find somewhere to purchase just the lower D's on the T-MO for a while now. That hardware looks very similar. I wonder if it will be sold separately.

Wish my eyes were better or this screen was bigger... having a hard time identifying what's what within that picture.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
The stopper knots look like regular sewn eyes to me with a plastic cover. I'm certain it's been tested, but anyone have thoughts on loading the stitching of an eye like that? Seems like it would try to force apart the two legs of rope that are sewn.
Hey J!
Just focused in on that.. I'm not sure but maybe that sewn cover isn't the soft covers you usually see on they're eyes (think zillion griilon). It may be that they are using a harder plastic, like the plastic used in their configuration aids.. Like the CAPTIV you see above in that picture.. idk if youve ever seen one, but its a hard plastic with small screws holding the two halves together.

The little details are definatley a different take on bridge configurations though.


Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Obviously Petzl had a spy at Teufleberger, the double bridge configurations are identical ;-) Excrpt Petzl figured out how to create a little plastic part to replace the stopper knots. Without them you will likely expire, almost instantly if you replace the bridge and tie your own. If you only think about doing it, will be more of a lingering demise. It says so in the fine print.
 
...the timeline...

Yes, the Unicender came out in 2005 and the ZigZag in 2013. I think there's a pretty big jump from the bollards used in the ZZ and the plates in the Unicender, but it does have links and I should have mentioned it... I didn't happen to like it, so haven't given it a lot of thought, lately. It wears very fast. But, I know people do like them.

My point was merely to note that Petzl isn't any more prone to copying aspects of other products than anyone else... and since they came out with their first ascenders and descenders in 1968 (the BASIC and the SIMPLE) they have had their stuff copied, as well.

..I think the uni is an equal to any newer multiscenders...

It probably is... I didn't like the one I had for a few days, but in all fairness, it was showing a lot of wear when I played with it. The ZZ just fits my needs better. I'd actually like to try their Chicane out, just to see how it fairs against my other SRT stuff.
 
Yeah, I already had a couple of ZZs when they released the RR. I thought, this is cool... SRT with links and stuff and shiny parts and anodized junk.
 
I always likened the zig zag to Gorden's OAR or what ever he called it. He experimented with a rope in some roller chain, before he came up with the Bone. The next year the ZZ was born. They are like big bother, always listening....

I don't Hate petzl, it's not like they are KONG or anything.. But they certainly lack in creativity and innovation. They have Meh customer service, and seem to make most of their money selling sport equipment. Hell they just started forging this year instead of selling stamped plate.
 
I always likened the zig zag to Gorden's OAR or what ever he called it. He experimented with a rope in some roller chain, before he came up with the Bone. The next year the ZZ was born. They are like big bother, always listening....

I don't Hate petzl, it's not like they are KONG or anything.. But they certainly lack in creativity and innovation. They have Meh customer service, and seem to make most of their money selling sport equipment. Hell they just started forging this year instead of selling stamped plate.

Hell yeah Gordon was first in the chain link rope friction game with the OAR which evolved into the most excellent Bulldog Bone. It took quite a while before people quieted down the criticism on his use of motorcycle chain links and cotter pins. His work has more than stood the test of time.
-AJ
 
Last edited:
I had made a "pulley rack" before the zz was publicly released. I found out later that they had been in development and owned a patent at the same time as I was making the pulley rack, we were unaware of each others design. I still think that they could have a headstock like my pulley rack that would work SRT, and be much cleaner in design.

 
I had made a "pulley rack" before the zz was publicly released. I found out later that they had been in development and owned a patent at the same time as I was making the pulley rack, we were unaware of each others design. I still think that they could have a headstock like my pulley rack that would work SRT, and be much cleaner in design.


Unreal!! That’s so cool. Good on you for not only coming up with that idea but to see it through, execute it, and build it ! That looks awesome
 
I’m having trouble getting a good view of how the rope bridge attaches to the “D-open??”
Will we be able to replace with some other cordage and a coupe double fisherman’s knots?
 
best I can gather is: the black bar is removable. Perhaps you can slip on webbing? I dont see why stoppers wouldnt work, but in the photo there appears to be some kind of clunky plastic thing on a sewn loop? or just doubled over rope?
I'd like to see more info and better close up photos
 

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom