Tips and Tricks

Serf Life

Carpal tunnel level member
Pretty slick!

Along the same line of thought, I have a smaller chipper and have trouble filling the top corners in front of the chip box, so if I need to squeeze in those extra few feet of chips, I’ll unhook the chipper and crank the trailer jack as high as it goes.
Or disconnect and back the truck up at an angle so the chute is in the chip box. Need space to do it but helpful if you have a large volume of brush.

27RMT0N

Another little one. With my new chip truck, I was totally unable to see my chipper when towing because it's about 2' wider than my F350. That both felt weird when driving, and made backing almost impossible since by the time you see it in the mirrors, it's turning too sharp and too late to correct.

Went to the hardware store, bought about $10 of pex pipe and t-fittings, a $6 roll of red tape, a $5 flag, $5 of cam-straps and made an easily removable visual aid. Initial testing around the property this evening seems promising. I have a job in two days where I need to back down a long tight driveway with the chip truck, so I threw this together and will see how well it works. I had some ideas that would be a little cleaner but involved drilling some holes in the chipper and quick-release items I didn't have. I didn't glue the parts together because I want to play with a few other ideas before making it permanent, and I'm on the search for quicker/easier mounts as well.

00 flags 01.jpg

00 flags 02.jpg

00 flags 03.jpg

Reach

Been here a while
Another little one. With my new chip truck, I was totally unable to see my chipper when towing because it's about 2' wider than my F350. That both felt weird when driving, and made backing almost impossible since by the time you see it in the mirrors, it's turning too sharp and too late to correct.

Went to the hardware store, bought about $10 of pex pipe and t-fittings, a $6 roll of red tape, a $5 flag, $5 of cam-straps and made an easily removable visual aid. Initial testing around the property this evening seems promising. I have a job in two days where I need to back down a long tight driveway with the chip truck, so I threw this together and will see how well it works. I had some ideas that would be a little cleaner but involved drilling some holes in the chipper and quick-release items I didn't have. I didn't glue the parts together because I want to play with a few other ideas before making it permanent, and I'm on the search for quicker/easier mounts as well.

View attachment 76442

View attachment 76443

View attachment 76444
Snowplow markers work great for that, mount them permanently and they’ll last about forever.

27RMT0N

Snowplow markers work great for that, mount them permanently and they’ll last about forever.

Knowing nothing about snowplows I hadn't thought about that option, not something I'd have found in my area in June though :p Thing is I'll only want the flags on maybe 15% of the time since I don't use the truck all that often. Some kind of mount like that (now that I've looked up what that is!) with a cotter pin to easily attach/detach was kind of what I had in mind for my ideal solution, I was just on a time crunch. Obviously open to suggestions, but honestly I have a feeling what I threw together here will be 'good enough' for the amount it will be used.

southsoundtree

Been here a while

View attachment 76442

View attachment 76443

View attachment 76444

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
On the subject of flags and visual aids for backing trailers, seems like the wireless backup cameras are a good option since they're so cheap now. $60, maybe less. Or more if you need something fancier.

27RMT0N

I have one on my other truck and one sitting in my shop to install on the chip truck, but with the wide angle lense it's kind of disorienting. Good for seeing the big picture, but even with it I do most of the backing and all fine movements using the mirrors.

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member

View attachment 76442

View attachment 76443

View attachment 76444
Been wanting to do something like this for a while. Thought of this while in a neighbors pool Saturday. Just dropped by Ace and I think I have a $2.59 pool noodle solution. It friction fits onto the handle of the yoke lift and can pop on and off as needed, honestly I think it would ride on the highway as is.

Attachments

• 2AAA0B6B-7083-4A3A-A694-A557A8521A56.jpeg
    2AAA0B6B-7083-4A3A-A694-A557A8521A56.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 33

dmonn

Participating member
Been wanting to do something like this for a while. Thought of this while in a neighbors pool Saturday. Just dropped by Ace and I think I have a $2.59 pool noodle solution. It friction fits onto the handle of the yoke lift and can pop on and off as needed, honestly I think it would ride on the highway as is.
I love this kind of simple, inexpensive, "elegant" solution.

southsoundtree

Been here a while

Attachments

• 20210625_180552.jpg
    20210625_180552.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom