Tips and Tricks

CaPowell

There have been several of these threads through the years. I remember enjoying reading them before and picking up a lot of cool ideas, but I can't seem to find them all. Seems like a good time to start a new one.

What are some little tricks that make your work day easier? Climbing, rigging, cleanup- any kind of trick!

This may be common sense, but I never see other guys doing this. Square trash cans are a must. Always lay the trash can down and rake or kick your piles into it. I like to get my 100 gallon can mostly full from pile 1 and then throw an armful of big stuff from pile 2 on it as I head to the truck. When I come back those two piles are easily raked up and repeat with the next pile. Bend over as little as possible!

CaPowell

If I have long hauls of brush or logs with the mini, I like to tie my trash can to the front of the grapple and kill two birds with one stone. Saves time and energy.

CanadianStan

Always make sure and poop BEFORE going aloft!

I always always always pee before a tree, or at least anything I’ll be in for more than 30 mins.

Tips and tricks :
Put tarps down before bucking up logs
Put tarps down before hedge trimming
Keep small piles of brush to drop logs onto to avoid lawn damage
Get a chainsaw multi tool so you stop having to look for that F$@&ing “other” bar wrench
If you have multiple trucks on site, label each truck with a colour code and label all the gear with electrical tape
Put a GoPro mount on the back bumper of your truck, connect via Bluetooth to your phone for an instant backup cam

southsoundtree

Keep one person involved in a one-person job.

A small Daisy-chained piece of cord attached to a tarp grommet is 'right where the going to need it' when it's time to roll the tarp up tight, then stow a bunch of tarps in an Ikea bag, with handles 'right where you need them' to tie the bag closed around the tarp.

Use one 'staging area', if not putting tools at/ in the truck, on a tarp is a good reminder, and useful to keep stuff somewhat drier in the rain. This keeps everything where everyone know where it is. Saving wasted effort looking for something when you need it, and easier to inventory things back into the truck for loss prevention.

Stand up rakes, pitchforks, shovels, visibly, if being intermittently used. Everyone can see them on the work site, in case they need the tool and it's not at the staging area or truck. Also, harder to run to over, or trip over then.

Last edited:

Jem4417

Tape two rakes together. Makes raking around the chipper a breeze and comes in handy in other places on the jobsite. Shearings, stump grindings, etc

southsoundtree

I've never taped them, but do use leaf rakes doubled-up.

The more upright the handle, the less stuff gets pushed into the ground/ grass... More fling from the spring-loaded tines, more horizontal distance moved by debris per stroke.

southsoundtree

hahaha.

I'm thinking of getting another big backpack blower (dinosaur-powered rake) after seeing a video of a guy running two right-hand blowers (you can order lefties), on his back and front, with a trigger in each hand.

I've watched landscape crews clear roads and parking lots with 4 blowers at once, synergistically.

Jem4417

I've never taped them, but do use leaf rakes doubled-up.

The more upright the handle, the less stuff gets pushed into the ground/ grass... More fling from the spring-loaded tines, more horizontal distance moved by debris per stroke.
I ended up doubling them so often that I taped two together.

Jem4417

Nah never seen that. I’ll keep that in mind if I get another one for side work. The one I taped up was a good one and slightly damaged one that my employer paid for

Jem4417

I’ve been hesitant on getting the groundskeeper because of some of the reviews. I consider myself an expert raker, is this the next level?

ATH

I bought one based on all of the great promises. It sits in the garage... Good quality wide head plastic rakes work much better. Having said that, I don't grind stumps - so if the argument is that it does a better job on grindings, I have no input on that.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom