Stihl MS241 (I’m in love)

Birdyman88

Man, I want to love battery power, but it is such a PITA compared to gas in many respects. Mainly in that you wake up one week and realize your battery is only giving you 75% of the run time it once did, but you're really not sure if you're right. I hate that kind of unpredictability.

I was in the dealer the other day and really got to playing around with the 261cm. You know, it was hard to feel the weight difference between it and the 241cm, but it was there, probably due to the bar and chain. Granted, I'd been using a 661 for the last few days prior. Can you get a 3/8P sprocket for a 261?

colb

@colb, having run the Stihl electric saw as well as the Husqvarna saws, I am certain that a lithium powered saw cannot keep up with an MS241. I regularly double cut wood well over 18” with it on trees that I always used to pull up the 362 with a 25” bar. I will be the first to buy an electric saw that can do that and look forward to when they are that good. Until that day though I will keep fueling and using gas powered saws when appropriate.

I just think pulling that particular saw from the US market was a mistake.
I chogged down a 20" sycamore spar the other day with my milwaukee saw. By the time I pull start my gas saw I'm 1/4 through with my lithium saw. There's also no reving to get it up to speed... I normally chog with an MS661, which catches up to my lithium saw in 20"+ wood.

I'm a sucker for trying out saws though. You've got me curious.

Birdyman88

You're gonna love that saw. If it didn't come with 63PS3 chain, try some on there. You won't regret it. Mine is noticeably faster than my 201, both muffler modded and running PS3 chain.

chipper1

Yeah I believe there is a kit Stihl sell to convert a 261 to 3/8p. The ''turbo" kit. I think it's just bar, chain and sprocket.
There is, I have that setup to run on stock 261's, but being 3003 mount it will fit others too. I normally run standard 3/8x20 on my current 261cm because its ported, its a nice runner.

Unfortunately these saws being discontinued doesn't phase most dealers because they will sell more 261's, it's sad that many dealers had no idea they were even being phased out, but in reality I believe that is happening because those same dealers had no idea what the 241 can do so they didn't push them.

If you guys looking for them can get the later model with the return to run feature that's a nice time saver.

chipper1

Get it ported and you’ll use it for everything. I have every Stihl pro saw but the 261 for a reason. That little 241 is impressive and it saves the arms and back a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mines ported buddy :rock:, it sure rips with a 14", bit then I grab the 550 or the ported 261.
Hows that 661 treating you, did you get it dirty yet lol.

Jonny

Took a few weeks to find mine on eBay. These are very much sought after, so during downtime I’d search all Stihl chainsaws, sort by newly listed with buy it now option.
My 241 cm would’ve probably fetched close to double what I payed if it was sold by auction. Silly what some of the used saws go for when folks get into bidding wars.

They might still be available new from dealers in UK. Sold a lot better there than in US.

Also if you haven’t already, someone on OPE forum might help you.

If you’re still unsuccessful, I hear the ms201CM, the rear handle version of the ms201TCM is very similar in handling, capability, and performance. I would’ve got that instead if the price was right.

Good luck :)

chipper1

Took a few weeks to find mine on eBay. These are very much sought after, so during downtime I’d search all Stihl chainsaws, sort by newly listed with buy it now option.
My 241 cm would’ve probably fetched close to double what I payed if it was sold by auction. Silly what some of the used saws go for when folks get into bidding wars.

They might still be available new from dealers in UK. Sold a lot better there than in US.

Also if you haven’t already, someone on OPE forum might help you.

If you’re still unsuccessful, I hear the ms201CM, the rear handle version of the ms201TCM is very similar in handling, capability, and performance. I would’ve got that instead if the price was right.

Good luck :)
Good advice, except the 2nd to last sentence.
The rear handled 201's are great little saws that handle better and are much lighter, but they won't keep up with a 241.
If you get an early 201 with the standard carb they typically need the timing advanced to run very well at all, and with a muffler mod and the carb limiters removed they run quite well.
I have had a good number of both and I see no reason a guy shouldn't have at least one of each :p.

Birdyman88

The rear handled 201's are great little saws that handle better and are much lighter, but they won't keep up with a 241.
Totally agree with this. All I did on my 241 is a muffler mod, and it pulls an 18" bar and PS3 chain like its ported. Makes beautiful, high rooster tails with the chips. Sounds awesome. Maybe the luck of the draw. I named mine "Taz", and I will never part with it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom