So as I ponder chippers you guys and gals get to answer all my annoying questions

monkeylove

So glad I bought a sprare anvil. Just pulled the old one out and holy crap. Based on the paint, wear and size this may be the 1993 original one it came with. Never going to get good chips with this no matter how sharp the knives are. Which they are, I just flpped them and I have a new set.
20170219_080755.jpg

Magnum783

Oh my that is horrid, do you have a grind stone for your Bridgeport. Massage that thing extensively and it will be good to go.

monkeylove

I do Jared, I installed the new one with a fresh set of blades so I am ready to chip. I figured I would take the old anvil to work and give it some love. I think I can just carbide honestly, I hit with a file and I bet it's no harder than 40-45Rc.

Magnum783

Oh well that got easier if it's not any harder than that. I despise grinding! There is no shield able to conceal the dust

96coal449

So glad I bought a sprare anvil. Just pulled the old one out and holy crap. Based on the paint, wear and size this may be the 1993 original one it came with. Never going to get good chips with this no matter how sharp the knives are. Which they are, I just flpped them and I have a new set.
View attachment 43031
Sure does look original. That chipper Is lucky to have you.
Hey .... I know that little purple whistle!

monkeylove

Sure does look original. That chipper Is lucky to have you.
Hey .... I know that little purple whistle!
Lol, yep Tree Stuff special.

I brought the old anvil to work this morning to give it some love but it might not be worth fixing. I took almost 3/8" off just to get it sharp again. However as I started inspecting it further it is also bent and as a result of years of use that way has a big dish (thin spot) worn into it. If you set the gap to 50 on the ends it will be almost 150 where the thinned out spot is. I could fix it if need be but probably easier just to leave it alone and keep it for an emergency. It has the new anvil installed so I should be good for a while.

96coal449

If you needed a spare anvil in case of an "emergency," I'm afraid you would ultimately need more than an anvil .... lol. Do you have a desk? might make a fair paper weight.

monkeylove

If you needed a spare anvil in case of an "emergency," I'm afraid you would ultimately need more than an anvil .... lol. Do you have a desk? might make a fair paper weight.
It is sitting under my desk at the moment, lol. I don't know how anyone screwed up that badly and didn't think "Hey maybe I should check the anvil after I change the knives."

monkeylove

First job with the chipper is in the bank :) It ran perfectly with no complaints. Had to paddle the feed a couple times when it came to the 10" trunk but other than that it went smooth. I remembered to save some sweeper limbs to run after the bigger logs and that did a nice job of keeping the area right behind the feed wheels clear for the next startup.

Truck...
I like having the open bed but I can see myself making something soft and light to raise the sides and cover the top when chipping. The rag top on the rails now is below the chute so you can make it work, but it would be a lot better about 2ft higher.

Thanks to everyone on Treebuzz, I have learned so much and it was great to roll up on a job with my chipper in tow.

96coal449

I remembered to save some sweeper limbs to run after the bigger logs and that did a nice job of keeping the area right behind the feed wheels clear for the next startup.
That's good practice. Something I've always like to do but I can't get my partner to do it with his machine.

hseII

I own a 1590xp traded in my 9oxp which I used for pruning and smaller jobs great chipper zero problems. I upgraded to a bandit 200 for better feed rate, lift cylinder capacity etc. it was last one of tier 3 has 97hp cat. I haven't owned a 12" chipper for about 10 years now but it's a great chipper 200 doesn't have a winch which is a must on a chipper if you can only have one. Id try to stick with at least a 12" chipper you get a smaller one you'll wished you bought a bigger one. There is a lot of shady dealears out there so be careful what you buy. If your set on a bandit you can call Mike Ross at bandit they do an excellent job refurbishing used trade ins and they back them 100%. I bought a used 254xp and it was as new and gave me zero issues for the five years I'd Owend it I sold it to a buddy in 2013 and he hasn't had a issue yet not bad for a 16 year old used chipper. Also most of them are are pre emission. Good luck finding a chipper.
How do I get in touch with Mike Ross?