So as I ponder chippers you guys and gals get to answer all my annoying questions

monkeylove

How hard are the motors to work on? I saw an older 12 inch with feed wheels but the owner says it probably needs rod bearings soon. Lots of "Chuck & Ducks" but I would rather not.

monkeylove

I also looked at really nice BC625, I know 6 inches is ideal but for 3000 bucks it was at least worth a look.

ROYCE

How hard are the motors to work on? I saw an older 12 inch with feed wheels but the owner says it probably needs rod bearings soon. Lots of "Chuck & Ducks" but I would rather not.
What type of chipper. Motors are easy to get at and can be swamped out relatively cheaply considering. Cheap to me is under 8K. Look at what a new chipper costs these days. I would buy a good, solid used one, and then easily dump 8K into the motor. In the end you will still be ahead of buying a new one.

ROYCE

I also looked at really nice BC625, I know 6 inches is ideal but for 3000 bucks it was at least worth a look.
But, what type of work are you planning to do? It could be free, but if you can't get your work done efficiently then its nota good investment.

ROYCE

I don't do large work usually, and if I do I call @flyingsquirrel25 or @Jem4417 for help. However even I know that a larger chipper eats small wood all day while a small chipper only eats 6" wood at a snails pace.
Okay, well now you have a plan. More importantly you have a network in place. I think then for you a smaller one may work. Besides if you can sell the work to accommodate your equipment its not a big deal. Maybe sell the job for the wood to stay for firewood while you chip the small stuff.

Anyways what engine was in the vermeer chipper?

treehumper

We use 150s. They do a great job chewing through anything we give it. We tend to not chip anything that can be utilized for firewood or any other use. Go for it!

flyingsquirrel25

@monkeylove man you should have said something, I just sold my 2070xl. 10" machine = perfect for a small truck and setup.
Personally I would stay away from the 25hp even on a 6" chipper, just not enough umpf.
Bandit 90 was a cool little machine, bandit 100 with gasser back in the day also.
You looking local or you willing to travel a bit? I'll keep my eyes peeled!

evo

Personally I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a 30 hp 6"... Which is what I was going for, and found a 44hp 9" which really is only useful for 6" and under.

monkeylove

I'm starting locally or at least within reason. 6 inch chipper is twice as big as I have at the moment so I am used to leaving wood or taking it away in firewood size chunks. Luckily my dump guy takes chips, brush, or chunks so even the crap wood can be disposed of for free.

hseII

The 6" we own is really a 4" unless the limbs are straight as an arrow.

We will be picking up a. 9-10".

The Bandit 90 looks good right now.

monkeylove

That 6" Vermeer is about 15 years old. Hour gauge has been replaced several time so not sure about hours.

Oroboros

I am very impressed with Deevo's Bandit 65xl with a 38hp gasser on it. A 6 inch chipper would be fine if you got a good one. (Not Vermeer )
There are two Salsco 6 inchers for sale up here. (Canada) low hours with 38 hp. Cheap for you with our low dollar.