Silky Pole saws n/a ?!?!

Jehinten

Apparently (according to person I chatted with on Sherrill's website) (and according to the lack of availability) Silky has decided to no longer offer their pole saws in North America!

That just about ruined my day. Notch has some saws with Silky blades so hopefully they will fill that niche.
I've checked a couple of saws and have not found any that are out of stock. Shipping to Southern Indiana is $9.00 for the zubat polesaw. https://www.mkrittenhouse.com/us/catalogsearch/result/?q=Pole+saw

Reactions: ATH

JD3000

Most well-known member
Zubat poles have become junk anyway. I like the blade but the actual telescoping poles for them have been falling apart for sometime now.

Love my other models though.

evo

I have a strong feeling that this is bullshit.

We have had some labor disputes and due to that there are a few cargo ships sitting in the harbors around the island due to the “slowdown”.
That and or sherril has had an exclusive with silky, it’s quite likely that there is a dispute between the two parties, when have we ever expected the truth from sherril?

Unfortunately, this is a lie people still believe as a result of a massive smear campaign, corporate manipulation of news and misunderstanding of the law. The story is far more complex than presented most of the time and is a good example of big business using its power to attack every day people instead of admit its own responsibility.

(but Silky pole saws are awesome and I'm sad to see them go)

Thank you 27RMTON for brining this up. It’s a very messed up story! As most things go in life the take away here is...it’s complicated.

Crimsonking

I have a strong feeling that this is bullshit.

We have had some labor disputes and due to that there are a few cargo ships sitting in the harbors around the island due to the “slowdown”.
That and or sherril has had an exclusive with silky, it’s quite likely that there is a dispute between the two parties, when have we ever expected the truth from sherril?

Question, why does everyone expect lies from Sherrill? I know quite a few people there, and none of those are nefarious corporate gangsters, as it seems many here would assume. From what I know, the bandwagon hate started with things Tobe did while he still owned the business, and was magnified when the first buyer went full corporate machine, jacking up prices and ignoring customer service. If anyone from the “old guard” still works there, they are part time or were entry level back then and not in leadership. It’s a completely different group running the show now, who want to do good for our industry. However, it’s become so cool to hate on them, any little order mistake gets blown up all over the internet, and everyone joins in the mudslinging.

Stop and think about the position many of us hold every day- professionals fighting against a very unprofessional stigma. Many people expect us to be lowlifes and to wreck their properties. They tell their friends to lock their car doors because “tree guys” are working next door. Or, there are customers with absurd expectations of our services, who will not be pleased with anything that is actually in the scope of reality. They nitpick everything, and hover- waiting for mistakes. The cigar sized nub our line knocked loose while we’re climbing bounces off the metal roof of the carport, and they come running outside, pointing to a huge dent that was already there and couldn’t possibly be caused by a stick that wouldn’t hurt someone without a helmet on. Insert any number of stories coming to your mind right now.

So many have acted in the same vein as their own customers that drive them nuts. There is a constant conversation at Sherrill as they weigh every decision- they want to address frustrations of the customer base while not catering to all of the absolute crap that gets thrown their way. Their job ISN'T to prove everyone wrong whose mind is already made that they’re some embodiment of evil. And so they don’t bother. Think I’m blowing this up?

Example- when someone created a clone account of Sherrill during a contest and started scamming people out of their credit card numbers, those scammed demanded that Sherrill give them free gear “for their trouble”. THEY were the ones who gave out their cc info on Facebook! But it’s now Sherrill’s fault that someone cloned their account. A few weeks later, someone does the same thing to Teufelberger on Instagram. The response- everyone let Teufelberger know what was happening and expressed anger that someone would try to do something like that to a good company like teufelberger. Here’s an interesting thought- if people don’t see Sherrill as a good company, why did they enter a Sherrill contest to begin with? Oh, I’ll take their gear if I win, but still gladly mouth off about them? That’s the spirit! I bet that’ll motivate them to take my opinions seriously and change everything they do based on my superior insights!

I know it wasn’t regular contributors on the buzz that participated in that event, but I think that story shows what the new guard have to put up with daily. Like one friend of mine getting personally attacked and slandered on social media when the “customer” actually bought a knockoff product from some bogus distributor. They blamed Sherrill and brought my friend into it by name.

Does all this attitude do anything to influence the people at Sherrill to respect our perspectives?

The reason I have friends there and know a lot about what goes on there is because I chose to connect with them and see how I could contribute toward solutions. I was anti-Sherrill for a couple years, until I met two stellar guys who worked there. I threw my tough questions at them, and they handled those questions very well. Since then I’ve given feedback and asked questions about problems I’ve seen to help with forward progress.

If anyone is still reading this post at this point- if you have a dog in the fight, if you have personal grievances that you want addressed, go to the source and quit key-stroking your ego in worthless hate parties.

Last edited:

Crimsonking

To follow up, I do have my own frustrations, but you guys don’t hear about them because you can’t change them. Those conversations are reserved for the people at Sherrill who can address the issues.

ATH

If Sherrill chose to not import/distribute pole saws only (all other Silky saws and pole saw parts are still available), Silky would likely find another distributor, right? So what would Sherrill's reason for dropping only pole saws be?

I see nothing suspect, just sucky.

Treezybreez

If Sherrill chose to not import/distribute pole saws only (all other Silky saws and pole saw parts are still available), Silky would likely find another distributor, right? So what would Sherrill's reason for dropping only pole saws be?

Not if there is some kind of written contract. Sherill/Notch has more to gain by selling their own pole saws with less competition.

ATH

I guess what I see: someone who seems to have some connection gave very plausible reason why Silky pole saws are no longer available. Anything else seems baseless and conspiratorial...

Crimsonking

Exactly. Also, think about how many more handsaws and blades are sold vs poles. Sherrill has no interest in souring such a solid relationship over something that makes them very little. We’re a small industry, and telescoping poles are a stupid tiny percentage of gear sales. It makes no sense to restrict access and then lie about why.

Evan Sussman

I meant to buy two of the Hayate poles when WesSpur still "had" stock when I heard this rumored last year.

They were received as Notch poles which annoyed me, but I wasn't going to raisea big fuss.

They look exactly the same to me except for the brand names, and the blades are Silky blades.

ATH

I appreciate the tip! I looked. If they had one in stock online I might have ordered one. I don't need one now...but knowing I can't have one later has me looking!

rugger01

Avoid the notch pole saws. I bought one figuring even if it doesnt hold up Notch guarantees their stuff. Yeeeeaaahhh about that. The retainer clip broke on 1 of the extensions and a pole broke. I actually bought it from treestuff back when they were still cool. I called Sherrill. Figured they own it all now. I got the abhorrent customer service as per usual. No returning calls/emails etc. They finally ask me to send I pictures, which I did. They then disappeared again. I finally called treestuff. They started helpful. She redirected me to the same worthless schmuck I had been dealing with at Sherrill. Then after weeks of chasing they sent me an email saying they did not make that pole saw anymore and did not have parts available for it. But they were "nice" enough to offer me 15% off a new Notch saw. Gee thanks for offering me the opportunity to spend more of my money on another product you have proven you won't support that won't be build well and will waste more of my time and money. Hard f**king pass. Don't wonder why people hate Sherrill. If it walks like a duck and quacks, it's a god damn duck! If its horrid customer service you crave then Sherrill is the place for you.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom