rope runner pro

Boomslang

Sure hope you are not the one making decisions for the care of employees working in trees on rope with that short answer.
The whole world climbs with a backup. Why? Because too many arbclimbers have died or have been seriously injured.
Why would you suggest one rope for work is OK?
Good luck getting two useable TIPs on many of the trees out here. Large, sprawling canopies don't exist everywhere.

Last edited:

treebing

you always make such cool videos Kevin. that looks really nice! how do you feel it compares to the RR2 final prototypes?
We never got to a point with the RR2 prototypes that I ever was happy to actually climb with it. It was very heavy and didn't tend well. It wS also going to cost $500 which didn't seem worth it even if we did get it to a point where we had functional prototypes. Notch was able to choose a manufacturing process that keeps the price the same as the original while tackling the wishlist of no dropable parts, centralized tending point, and rounder edges.

There are some sacrifices, its longer than the original RR, it is a little heavier but not as heavy as the RR2. The length is the biggest negative that I can think of. I shortened my bridge a hair and use a small biner.

treebing

I have been receiving Lots and lots of "why Notch" questions. Its simple. Treestuff bought the rope runner outright from me after I had no luck with some of the big name manufacturers. (Realizing then that those companies don't give much priority to the needs of the tree world).

After that, the decision has never been mine to make. Treestuff was purchased by sherrill. NOTCH began.

For the rest of these companies the tree industry is a second third or fourth priority. Which is why a large company like DMM can feel like its nice and homey and mom and pop to the tree climber. But in realitu we are a side thought to them.

A smaller company like Notch appears like its a massive company because all of its resources are in our industry.

Its also one of three companies based in the United States which makes collaboration easier. I have worked with some overseas companies and the ocean makes communication very slow. The other two American based companies both have been a big part of the runner project and both had a crack at it.

The manufacturing is being done in Taiwan. As an avid bike rider, I am accustomed to very high quality components made in that country.

I would prefer it made in the USA but that is a difficult thing to accomplish in these times with only two gear factories operating in the USA, both of which have been involved with this project. Between Taiwan and Europe, I could care less.

So, that is why Notch. They have really put a lot of energy into this project. The lead engineer at Notch flew out to my house in Detroit twice, just to spend the day with me and really get a feeling for the tool. He is an amazing guy who is very skilled and can envision the entire manufacturing process from start to finish and all the different options. A great mind for detail.. Hands down the best experience I have had collaborating on a project. We went through multiple prototypes, each one costing many thousands of dollars and a huge number of hours.

So, at this point in time, I am very comfortable with how the story has unfolded. I think Notch has done a great job with it.

bonner1040

It’s been a really fun process Kevin. I was there when you launched the Dirty 30 in Detroit and I’m as proud as a person can be to be here with you now as we take the Rope Runner to the next level.

The new design, hot forged parts, better traceability, and hopefully CE cert for Europe all make the time and money worth it.

I can confidently say that the Rope Runner Pro is the device everyonehas been waiting for. People should get ready to be blown away!

treebing

as far as I know Rock Exotica and CMI are the only companies still making gear in the USA. Two amazing companies that I have a huge amount of respect for. CMI has done a killer job with the RR1 which I honestly think many people will still prefer that model. There are no plans to discontinue that model. Both CMI and RE have always been on the absolute top of companies that I support. I dont think there is a company out there that makes better pulleys or blocks for my style of tree work than CMI. Rock Exotica is the Only company that makes carabiners in the USA, their swivels are incomparable

Another gear company that is based in The United States but is focused on Rock climbing is Black Diamond. They use the same factory in Taiwan as Notch which has manufacturing capabilities that are very extensive.

Last edited:

JMerritt

We never got to a point with the RR2 prototypes that I ever was happy to actually climb with it. It was very heavy and didn't tend well. It wS also going to cost $500 which didn't seem worth it even if we did get it to a point where we had functional prototypes. Notch was able to choose a manufacturing process that keeps the price the same as the original while tackling the wishlist of no dropable parts, centralized tending point, and rounder edges.

There are some sacrifices, its longer than the original RR, it is a little heavier but not as heavy as the RR2. The length is the biggest negative that I can think of. I shortened my bridge a hair and use a small biner.
I really like the look of this one. It looks like a coherent whole, and sexy. Definitely looks lighter than the rr2. I doubt you could ever shave weight off the original design what with it being so minimal in materials, not to mention moving to stainless bollards. Congratulations on a job well done! I’m going to have to get myself one to try out!

Acerxharlowii

I really like the look of this one. It looks like a coherent whole, and sexy. Definitely looks lighter than the rr2. I doubt you could ever shave weight off the original design what with it being so minimal in materials, not to mention moving to stainless bollards. Congratulations on a job well done! I’m going to have to get myself one to try out!
It’s really great to see u both support each other in your innovative endeavors! Thanks

treebing

@treebing, is mrs a go on the pro if terminating at bridge attachment?
Yes, same as the 1. There are configuration issues to be aware of so as not to interfere with bird function. I dont recommend a runner if you are primarily running MRT. Much better tools out there. I think even if you are running both a lot a wrench system is the best. When I climb MRT I feel frustrated with anything less than a self tending hitchclimber system. Tying back to the bridge feels like climbing in 1999. A wrench + hitchclimber is the best for switching back and forth. For the odd crane job MRT, or to descend out at the end of the climb cleaning up a canopy tie the runner works fine.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom