New to bidding work with crane rental. Curious about your thoughts....

OasisTree

Using the 250/hr for me and 200/hr for the crane, if I'm done in 5 hours for 450, I'm only bringing in 1250 on the job, giving a G to the crane company, then we have to line up another job for the day.

No crane and we're set for the day still making 250/hr. No extra stress if something takes a bit longer or something breaks down. No calling/scheduling with crane company. No worrying if the stick will reach the last tree. etc.

I agree that I'd be able to bid more competitively, but I am fortunate to never be short on work.

Just try hiring a crane for a day, and you will see what we mean with the less effort part. Until you work with one you don't appreciate the potential that can be realized with a crane. To see a 4K pick floating away from you from a deck tree is pure bliss when you consider the alternative...

We have a full size grapple truck, a track mini, and a four man crew, and we shoot for 1K per hour onsite time. We dont always get it, but thats what we shoot for. With 1 guy in the tree or man-lift, 3 guys with a grapple truck and a mini can keep up with steady 3-4K pics going out. I will add that any crane job that we can use our lift on goes considerably faster.

Also,telling the client that you are using a crane and not charging extra for it can be an added perk that helps you win these type of jobs.

Sfoppema

Just try hiring a crane for a day, and you will see what we mean with the less effort part. Until you work with one you don't appreciate the potential that can be realized with a crane. To see a 4K pick floating away from you from a deck tree is pure bliss when you consider the alternative...

We have a full size grapple truck, a track mini, and a four man crew, and we shoot for 1K per hour onsite time. We dont always get it, but thats what we shoot for. With 1 guy in the tree or man-lift, 3 guys with a grapple truck and a mini can keep up with steady 3-4K pics going out. I will add that any crane job that we can use our lift on goes considerably faster.

Also,telling the client that you are using a crane and not charging extra for it can be an added perk that helps you win these type of jobs.
Sounds like you are doing it up right. Have my eye on the kboom. That will be the next move, but want to save some dough first and not rush it.....

I have hired cranes before and understand the convenience. I just want to make sure I get some $$ for hiring one. I'd rather stay in the backyard where the cranes don't want to go. Get good money there considering my overhead. I'll do the crane stuff, but want to get paid for it. Don't want to hire just for convenience. I'd sooner recommend a different company if I wasn't set up well for the job and couldn't make extra by hiring a crane.

owScott

I am a little confused by the price breakdown here, but I think I can get the gist of what you are saying. I agree that I'd rather make money working easy than hard. We have two minis a dw 1050 and 650, so we're not really dragging brush or rolling logs. That's a real moral killer....

Unless the job would be stupid to do without a crane, I wouldn't hire one. And in that event, I'd probably just refer the customer to a company that I'm friendly with that has a crane. I'd rather stay in my lane and prefer the backyard stuff and use the minis where other companies would prefer the easier access crane/bucket work. They'll refer customers to me instead of screwing around climbing in a backyard where they'd prefer to be on the hook.

I wouldn't rent one just to save my back. Still young, probably change my opinion on that eventually. I've got some jobs priced high that I'm waiting to hear back on that I was thinking of using a crane for. We'll see how it works out!

I appreciate the input!
Sorry if the breakdown was confusing.
generally most big backyard trees
$1000 crane
$800 labor
$1500 for me
$200 wood disposal
total $3500
easy day everyone goes home early paid for 8hours. Same tree backyard same money, $3500. I make $1000 more. Everyone works 3x harder and all day. I will do big backyard take downs that you cant crane, for sure, but if i can crane it I am happy with $1500 easy money versus $2500 breaking ass. I get what you are saying, you are willining to work alot harder for more money, fair enough. Why give away the, IMO, easy money crane jobs. Dont get me wrong i do plenty of backyard removals without a crane but only if i cant get a crane to it. Not saying there is a wrong or right way to go about it. Good to constantly evaluate how we do business its how we improve. Just my take, profit to effort ratio.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom