New Gas Chippers how are they?

Tr33Climb3r

Participating member
That is the machine I have been eying. What engine did you get? Final price?

I believe there is only one gas engine option. V8. So idk what they are new. Ours was a rental/demo unit. 2017 model. I think ours was $48k.
I honestly don't know if it was a good deal. But new diesel is like $75k I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyalTree

My Vermeer rep had told us they did not yet have a gas option. There are two diesel options. We where quoted 79k for the John Deere 173 hp.

I can not justify spending an extra 30k for a diesel.

flyingsquirrel25

Carpal tunnel level member
Also from what I understand across all the chipper brands its the same gas engine brand.

Yea so far all I have seen are the new GM’s on chippers (morbark and bandit). Have yet to see a Ford. PSI is pretty decent to deal with, and I’m pretty sure they are building them all. Ive been having a gremlin issue the bandit guys were trying to blow smoke on so I called the tech at PSI and he was great. Confirmed the bandit techs were idiots! So now we gotta wait to see if he was right the next time the furry bastard shows his ugly face! :buitre:

deevo

Been here a while
First day out with it on a good sized crane job, throws the chips awesome and packs the chips in tight !
0c6300746c3a370df45e4a00bbbad892.jpg
989743bb6bffbb06ec6635d0555034d8.jpg

Nice feeding entire leaders into the chipper ( minus the steel and hardware on these ones )
437f050021f9592dca59364017704e86.jpg

treebilly

Branched out member
Can’t see from my phone, but knowing Devon, the rigging was set properly to either avoid the reverse wishbone effect or was set to contain it.
I constantly adjust to the weak spots in the tree for rigging purposes. Crane work is usually just backwards effects

southsoundtree

Been here a while
Thanks, Deevo.

Does anyone chain and binder/ trucker strap an included-bark fork? At that point, two picks would be a consideration.

My estimation is that Deevo has his bases covered. Just trying to learn.

I don't do much crane work. Last time was a year ago. The 2 leaders came out on my oak at a much more vertical angle. I figured 4 small picks, CO said 1. He lifted it fine, as he was set up right next to it, and with some fighting, I pulled the butt out with my mini to lay it across the cul-de-sac. Because he was so upright, he was getting tangled around his boom. Should have put some control/ tag lines up high, maybe, for the landing.

Back to the gas engine chipper programming...

deevo

Been here a while
Thanks, Deevo.

Does anyone chain and binder/ trucker strap an included-bark fork? At that point, two picks would be a consideration.

My estimation is that Deevo has his bases covered. Just trying to learn.

I don't do much crane work. Last time was a year ago. The 2 leaders came out on my oak at a much more vertical angle. I figured 4 small picks, CO said 1. He lifted it fine, as he was set up right next to it, and with some fighting, I pulled the butt out with my mini to lay it across the cul-de-sac. Because he was so upright, he was getting tangled around his boom. Should have put some control/ tag lines up high, maybe, for the landing.

Back to the gas engine chipper programming...
Depending on the species of tree we might, but it held just fine, I let that settle for a bit , and didn’t hoist directly over the house I went between them so no shrapnel came off. It was crispy yes but not as bad as it looks.

deevo

Been here a while
180e5b195483d3933d1b33f9b30e006d.jpg
68’ish spruce tree 19” DBH 3200 lb pick right to the chipper chute and in the truck one shot barely any cleanup !
bc97c4464a2bbe4c326b9588a9a65b68.jpg
anyone wondering about power in these PSI engines, they are powerful and auto feed engages as necessary, chips better the the Vermeer AX 19 we demos last year with a diesel, by a lot.
fe54dc84dc311ffeef6a198abe13a709.jpg
the winch is very powerful as well, more power then my old model 13 with a 2015 winch on it. So yeah I’ve been more then happy with the chipper after week one! Incredible production booster and makes trees disappear so so fast!

ATH

Been here a while
That kinda looks like cheating! (but if you can do that, who would want to "play fair"?)

Lbj

e17cf6c3a1b2ec974cfa2e73d12886be.jpg
9cb3f67b1a7792deb3633d9d69028175.jpg

Well today was delivery day and well
Worth the wait! Brand new 18 R awesome machine all around ! Can’t wait to run some big wood through it ! Yes a new big chip truck build is next !

was wondering the size of that chip box ? I am small and have a bandit 90xp and looking at a nice f350 dump 4x4 , with xpac tool boxes behind cab , but only a 8 ft bed , I guess can always make it a little bit taller chip box

was wondering the size of that chip box ? I am small and have a bandit 90xp and looking at a nice f350 dump 4x4 , with xpac tool boxes behind cab , but only a 8 ft bed , I guess can always make it a little bit taller

We looked at used trucks for months and finally realized buying new would be our best route. 4x4 Is worth the extra money. Look around for a 11’ foot bed on a one Ton.. they are out there and the extra 3’ makes a big difference. Not sure what ours holds but I can get you some measurements. I do know when it’s packed full pulling the 15xp it’s about all the truck wants

Attachments

• BB326310-68A5-44FE-ADA7-1F14A3C1AF57.jpeg
    BB326310-68A5-44FE-ADA7-1F14A3C1AF57.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 848E9844-77E5-433C-A87C-13748A5E6C3D.png
    848E9844-77E5-433C-A87C-13748A5E6C3D.png
    9 MB · Views: 46

cody willard

So I see a lot of discussion about Tier 4 engines in chippers, but what about trucks?

Are we all gonna be driving 8.0 liter gas engine trucks in ten years because of the EPA? Haven't heard of many (any?) manufacturers discussing a move back to gas in trucks. Probably not realistic.
It’s funny reading this in 2021 as I am seeing 7.3 gasser f250’s everywhere now!

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
Heck of a thread bump. I'm still running a 2001 7.3 diesel F350 but those new 7.3 gassers sure seem good so far. While I do question the reliability/longevity of newer and ever more complex engines, it does have me wondering if I'll wind up with gas on my next truck.

Will stein

It’s funny reading this in 2021 as I am seeing 7.3 gasser f250’s everywhere now!
I have that motor in my f600 chip truck I just got in april. It is a great motor and matched to the 10 speed it does everything I ask of it. But boy does it suck the fuel down. Hopefully bandit puts that motor in a 18xp-19xpc that be a real selling point.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom