Makita XCU08/09 (14"/16") vs. ...?

LordFarkwad

Branched out member
Got mine today and tried it out. It definitely bogs less and cuts more quickly than the factory chain. Not much room for debate. As to whatever downsides a small pitch chain might incur, I don't know yet. But so far this seems like a worthwhile mod.

Thanks for the word, mac.

LordFarkwad

Branched out member
Were you able to return the stihl bar?

Got it from eBay. Started the return process and it was approved by seller. Will ship tomorrow. That was painless!

About the conversion...

First of all, shipping from the UK was unbelievably fast - I ordered the bar and chain combo in Monday and it arrived midday today!!

Second, the Panther chain it ships with doesn't have the anti-kickback humps; awesome! The site required $80 for free shipping (before tax), and the combo was $82, so I just went with the combo (an extra chain won't hurt, right?). Glad I did.

Using it on a heavy pruning job tomorrow...

macrocarpa

Participating member
Another modification, Ive been digging a ring attached to the saw directly. Works smooth with the shembiner.

Attachments

• 3C277141-5C8C-4B56-BEAC-D7E0E27D154D.jpeg
    3C277141-5C8C-4B56-BEAC-D7E0E27D154D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44

macrocarpa

Participating member
Worked awesome on the pruning. Didn't have any cuts over 3", and most were 1.5-2" (ash, elm), so it was hardly a test of the saw's abilities. But, it was buttery.
So what's the word on the Makita? Have you had time to find its capabilities?

I pruned some massive pin oaks Mon-Tues this week and used the 18V for the most part until removing some 10" branches over the house where I had the 36V sent up.

LordFarkwad

Branched out member
So what's the word on the Makita? Have you had time to find its capabilities?

I pruned some massive pin oaks Mon-Tues this week and used the 18V for the most part until removing some 10" branches over the house where I had the 36V sent up.
It is my preferred saw now. I pretty much always start with this saw until 14" isn't enough - and that goes for hard woods, too. Love it.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
I just ordered a Panther 12" bar and one chain for my Makita 18V saw. I went to with the 12" instead of the 10" because my Echo 2511 has the same conversion and I can share chains. What I can't understand for the life of me is why the bar and chain ordered from the UK was $81, while the exact same bar and chain from Monkey Beaver was $30 more? Does that make any sense?? I ordered from overseas, needless to say. All I can guess is that chainsawbars.co.uk is selling stuff at wholesale prices.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom