Makita XCU08/09 (14"/16") vs. ...?

LordFarkwad

Bang for buck, is this the best thing going now (the Makita)? Looking at getting a battery top handle because I - literally almost every day I work - am running into noise concerns. I'd be able to start up to ~2hrs earlier otherwise, which would be really nice.

Brushless, 36V, 14"/16" bars (would having the 16" buried in hardwood actually cut at any reasonable speed?).

I know it's up to the pruning task, but I'm wondering about removals. Potentially, I could start with this in lieu of my gas top handle (355T) and by the time I'm down to substantial-diameter trunk wood, it would probably be within the hours that folks wouldn't mind the noise of the gas top handle.

Any knowledge on how this run in ~8-10" hardwood? Does the Husqvarna option compare to this one? I thought there was an updated Husqvarna model coming out, but I'm having trouble finding info on what I thought I'd seen (Edit: here she be - https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/t540i-xp/967863712/)

Last edited:

Tom Lynch

Following. Kinda set on the T540i to be my primary top handle once it comes to Canada. Reviews seem good, but from what I can tell it is the same ballpark weight as any 35cc top handle. More and more I think it be nice to have a featherweight battery saw (was thinking the DCS-2500T) and keep my 200t alive for kills.

LordFarkwad

Following. Kinda set on the T540i to be my primary top handle once it comes to Canada. Reviews seem good, but from what I can tell it is the same ballpark weight as any 35cc top handle. More and more I think it be nice to have a featherweight battery saw (was thinking the DCS-2500T) and keep my 200t alive for kills.
Is the DCS-2500T the counterpart to the 2511? I don't know anything about this guy.

Edit: I see that is indeed the case. Looks like they'd be able to get more out of a 50V system than what the 2511 is capable of. Either way, Echo's US site doesn't have this model, so I'm assuming it's still a question mark on when it'll be available here.

Last edited:

LordFarkwad

Was this a stupid question, or is there a lack of experience with both of these, or what?

I'm leaning heavily towards the 14" Makita (XCU08) for the price/performance balance. Hmm...

LordFarkwad

Got to use the 14" today very briefly...dang. Had the factory 3/8" LP on there and it was still awesome (I had low expectations, tbh). Buried the bar in a ~14" white oak log. Cut one cookie and tried a bore cut. It seems like it would be fine for my purposes. It would require a little bit of practice for me, in getting the feel. I had a tendency to lean on it too hard, causing it to stop. But the "2" (high torque) setting actually had an immediately noticeable effect on keeping it from shutting off when I leaned on it too hard. Cool.

Anyone know of where one could get a 16" 1/4" pitch bar for it?

Barc Buster

Got to use the 14" today very briefly...dang. Had the factory 3/8" LP on there and it was still awesome (I had low expectations, tbh). Buried the bar in a ~14" white oak log. Cut one cookie and tried a bore cut. It seems like it would be fine for my purposes. It would require a little bit of practice for me, in getting the feel. I had a tendency to lean on it too hard, causing it to stop. But the "2" (high torque) setting actually had an immediately noticeable effect on keeping it from shutting off when I leaned on it too hard. Cool.

Anyone know of where one could get a 16" 1/4" pitch bar for it?
I believe the stihl 1/4" bar is a direct fit.

LordFarkwad

I believe the stihl 1/4" bar is a direct fit.
Thanks - a couple questions...

1) It's regular 1/4" pitch, correct? Not 1/4" picco or something? And 0.043" gauge.

2) Is there currently a 16" bar that fits these requirements?

Edit: apologies if this is premature. I'm still Googling

ATH

I have the 1 battery 18V Makita it it is OK for what it is...between a handsaw and a gas top handle. Husqvarna is supposed to come out next month (per an email I got from Husqvarna...). Would like to hear comparisons b/t that and the 36V Makita...

Barc Buster

I couldn't find anything where they were talking about something other than dime tip carving bars, 10" stuff etc.
Iirc all the 1/4" stihl tail patterns are the same. I've also heard that some who've made the switch to 1/4" on the echo 2511t haven't been happy with it. Maybe try a loop of stihl 3/8 picco (their 3/8 lp)? That's what I run currently on my 2511t. Its superior to the 3/8lp oregon chain. Which is likely what was on the saw you tried. I'm happy with it.

LordFarkwad

Iirc all the 1/4" stihl tail patterns are the same. I've also heard that some who've made the switch to 1/4" on the echo 2511t haven't been happy with it. Maybe try a loop of stihl 3/8 picco (their 3/8 lp)? That's what I run currently on my 2511t. Its superior to the 3/8lp oregon chain. Which is likely what was on the saw you tried. I'm happy with it.
Can both 3/8's (lp and picco) run on the same bar and drive sprocket? That'd be an awesome first mod to try if so.

Edit: did a little reading and it seems like sprockets are good to go between the LP and Picco variants of the same pitch.

Last edited:

Barc Buster

Can both 3/8's (lp and picco) run on the same bar and drive sprocket? That'd be an awesome first mod to try if so.

Edit: did a little reading and it seems like sprockets are good to go between the LP and Picco variants of the same pitch.
Looks like you got there. The only thing you will have to worry about is finding a shop to spin you a custom loop. For example around here all the john deere dealers also sell and supposedly "service" Stihl saws but they only sell pre boxed chain. We have one real stihl saw shop the will make up the loops whatever length you need.

macrocarpa

I use the 18 V Makita for pruning and love it. I put a 1/4 inch sprocket on it which was under $15 directly from Makita. I got a 1/4 inch stihl bar and chain Which makes all the difference in the world. Slices right through compared to the 3/8 pitch the Makita comes with.

LordFarkwad

I use the 18 V Makita for pruning and love it. I put a 1/4 inch sprocket on it which was under $15 directly from Makita. I got a 1/4 inch stihl bar and chain Which makes all the difference in the world. Slices right through compared to the 3/8 pitch the Makita comes with.
But it is indeed 1/4" and not LP/Picco?

LordFarkwad

So, it IS 1/4" Picco, it looks like, judging from Stihl's saw-chain table.

I have a couple other saws with the chisel chains on them - that'd be awesome if I could run a PS3 on this guy. From Arbsession's website, what comes on them is 3/8 LP 0.043" gauge chain, and the only PS3 chain listed on Stihl's website is 0.050". It looks like doing some exploration on this is at least going to require a bar and chain, even to just switch to Stihl's similar chain with chisel cutters.

From my brief reading on the subject last, it appears that the sprockets for LP/Picco and 'standard' profile versions of the same pitch chains are not the same, due to the differing depths of the drive links. So, I'm assuming since it worked out for you, @macrocarpa, that the sprocket is for 1/4" LP/Picco as well, an that a standard 1/4" chain wouldn't work with that sprocket...?

Yeah, I've emailed Mr. Selner a few times and he's been very helpful - but I didn't know the correct questions to ask in my initial contacts. I've got an email in with them so hopefully they'll get back sometime soon (their customer support is awesome, btw).

LordFarkwad

Got a response from sawagain.com (emailed them too), saying that the 1/4" Makita spur sprocket would work for any 1/4" chain - standard profile and low profile.

No idea if that's true or not, but there it is. Awesome, if so.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom