KBNest -Midline Attachable SRS Canopy Anchor.

Really dig this video it definitely simplified and cleared up a lot of questions. What’s the lifespan on the cordage/sling? And will there be replacements?
In my experience, Aramid fiber can take a beating and last a while with proper care. The Tech 11 tether and RIT bound loop prusik are both easily replaceable. Wesspur and other "Approved Assembler' companies will carry replacement tethers and prusiks for the KBNest. The bound loop prusik is girth hitched onto the alloy anchor becket. So, easy to take off and replace. The leather sleave is not a life safety component, per se, but keeps the tether and your climbing rope separated when you're retrieving to prevent glazing on your climbing rope, which would become a safety problem. it also keeps a nice "hoop' opening so that when you retrieve with an overhand knot, the knot, will pass through the hoop more easily. The leather can get beat to smitherines, and it will still serve its purpose.
 
When using a retrievable anchor, if a climber is accounting for basic physics and using proper manufacturer recommended retrieval techniques, but the anchor is still failing to retrieve even a small percentage of the time, then it's not worthy to be considered a useful retrievable anchor. This is my opinion, what do you think?

I'm planning to put out some videos on our YouTube channel, social media and this thread on retrieval of the KBNest and the lessons and details I've learned over the years. The most common questions I've heard from early adaptors is "what are the best recommended retrieval practices"? The most common negative opinion I've heard expressed by people is something along the lines of, "the only thing that honking piece of metal looks good for is getting stuck in the tree". So, based on these two subjects and my personal opinion of how a canopy anchor should perform I think some detailed videos on retrieval of the KBNest could be helpful to some and maybe encourage others to try it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what people want to see in a video or are wondering about the KBNest?
 
When using a retrievable anchor, if a climber is accounting for basic physics and using proper manufacturer recommended retrieval techniques, but the anchor is still failing to retrieve even a small percentage of the time, then it's not worthy to be considered a useful retrievable anchor. This is my opinion, what do you think?

I'm planning to put out some videos on our YouTube channel, social media and this thread on retrieval of the KBNest and the lessons and details I've learned over the years. The most common questions I've heard from early adaptors is "what are the best recommended retrieval practices"? The most common negative opinion I've heard expressed by people is something along the lines of, "the only thing that honking piece of metal looks good for is getting stuck in the tree". So, based on these two subjects and my personal opinion of how a canopy anchor should perform I think some detailed videos on retrieval of the KBNest could be helpful to some and maybe encourage others to try it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what people want to see in a video or are wondering about the KBNest?
I feel like the process through installation and removal would be beneficial. Just the most basic steps of it. I've seen the vids you did with Dave but I want to see more in a format I can repeat, pause, analyze. Yes I agree. If it doesn't retrieve and its not user error then it's not as useful. I have changed up my MRS anchor because retrieval was generally a crap shoot (for me personally) and something that was less prone to minute details of how I set it up leads to less ascents at the end of a long day. Dave loves your kit and can't say enough good stuff about it. I enjoy the videos and watched you demo at expo but I just need to see it at my own pace until the ah ha light comes on.
 
I feel like the process through installation and removal would be beneficial. Just the most basic steps of it. I've seen the vids you did with Dave but I want to see more in a format I can repeat, pause, analyze. Yes I agree. If it doesn't retrieve and its not user error then it's not as useful. I have changed up my MRS anchor because retrieval was generally a crap shoot (for me personally) and something that was less prone to minute details of how I set it up leads to less ascents at the end of a long day. Dave loves your kit and can't say enough good stuff about it. I enjoy the videos and watched you demo at expo but I just need to see it at my own pace until the ah ha light comes on.
perfectly captured my thoughts as well
 
Thanks Steve. That's great feedback! I'm going to attempt to capture what you're looking for this coming month of October. Sometimes the processes of the climb can become so second nature that it doesn't even occur to me to cover some things in a demo video. What's more, I feel I need to account for the fact that when it comes to tree climbing, every climber seems to have their own flavor and their proud of it too, even if it tastes like turd to me. So, I probably just need to get over that and talk the whole nine yards.
This October, we're going to launch some illustration & video combos for people to digest. You mention wanting to see content that captures installation through removal or retrieval. Can you give me any details? In detailed words, what are some visual or logistical details that I could depict in an illustration or a video to help you and Matias and likely many others see?
One of the challenges and beauties of our work as tree climbers is that every tree is different and because of this it can become difficult to have a visual image of each climb and how it will work because the physical shape of the object changes every climb. It's only when we can break the climb down into fundamental parts that we can start to simplify the process on each climb regardless of its complexity.
 
Thanks Steve. That's great feedback! I'm going to attempt to capture what you're looking for this coming month of October. Sometimes the processes of the climb can become so second nature that it doesn't even occur to me to cover some things in a demo video. What's more, I feel I need to account for the fact that when it comes to tree climbing, every climber seems to have their own flavor and their proud of it too, even if it tastes like turd to me. So, I probably just need to get over that and talk the whole nine yards.
This October, we're going to launch some illustration & video combos for people to digest. You mention wanting to see content that captures installation through removal or retrieval. Can you give me any details? In detailed words, what are some visual or logistical details that I could depict in an illustration or a video to help you and Matias and likely many others see?
One of the challenges and beauties of our work as tree climbers is that every tree is different and because of this it can become difficult to have a visual image of each climb and how it will work because the physical shape of the object changes every climb. It's only when we can break the climb down into fundamental parts that we can start to simplify the process on each climb regardless of its complexity.
I'm more looking for the mechanics of the device. I can try to put it in perspective of the canopy I'd be in. I like to see things like both sides of the device set up and where the lines go and in what order. Just assuming I know nothing at all when you produce it. Assume we have no idea what a canobase is and how to set it up. So often videos are made with the assumption people already have a baseline understanding (I do) but sometimes that leads to an assumption of application. Not sure if that makes sense. Tell me like I'm a 1st year climber and I can fill in the rest with my experience and understanding. Sometimes these things are so convoluted until you understand them. Imagine you taking us for a climb and we're gonna install ours next to yours just to walk through thew process. Does this answer your questions? I know it might be too vague.
 
If you have printed instructions, post them.

I suggest you send one or more around for product testing and reviews, as has happened in the past with new devices... HitchHiker, Akimbo, Downrigger and Wraptor, if the top of my head. Idk about the offering from Singing Tree.

The breadth and depth of knowledge and styles among lots of members is vast.
 
If you have printed instructions, post them.

I suggest you send one or more around for product testing and reviews, as has happened in the past with new devices... HitchHiker, Akimbo, Downrigger and Wraptor, if the top of my head. Idk about the offering from Singing Tree.

The breadth and depth of knowledge and styles among lots of members is vast

Thanks. Yes, we are going to start posting instructions on social media this month. We also have many instructions in our tech notice which anyone can see on our landing page kbnest.com. Also, when you purchase the Nest you get what we call The Supplement which is currently 28 pages of illustrations and type containing tips not obvious to the new user pertaining to the many uses of the Nest.
As far as testers we have some out being used by production climbers', trainers and product testers already. 25 and counting that I've personally sold or given out. and many more with our vendors, Wesspur, Arbsession and Bartlett Arborist Supply. Its getting the feedback from these motivated busy people that can be difficult.
 
Be careful to avoid doing a "needs a book to figure out" ala the Treepeedo. That turned people off.
 
Be careful to avoid doing a "needs a book to figure out" ala the Treepeedo. That turned people off.
Right. Good observation. I think time could be one of the best educators for the new logic of the Nest. It's really quite simple in practice. I think what people can't wrap their head around is the logic of why they might need it. or why it could be better than what they're currently using. This is the communication challenge.
 
I'm more looking for the mechanics of the device. I can try to put it in perspective of the canopy I'd be in. I like to see things like both sides of the device set up and where the lines go and in what order. Just assuming I know nothing at all when you produce it. Assume we have no idea what a canobase is and how to set it up. So often videos are made with the assumption people already have a baseline understanding (I do) but sometimes that leads to an assumption of application. Not sure if that makes sense. Tell me like I'm a 1st year climber and I can fill in the rest with my experience and understanding. Sometimes these things are so convoluted until you understand them. Imagine you taking us for a climb and we're gonna install ours next to yours just to walk through thew process. Does this answer your questions? I know it might be too vague.
Hey Steve, have a look at our landing page KBNest.com Theres a section with drop downs called "How Can the Nest Benefit You", within the drop downs there are links to some illustrations which describe visually what the type claims in each dropdown. Please send me feedback here once you have a look at those.
 
Hey Steve, have a look at our landing page KBNest.com Theres a section with drop downs called "How Can the Nest Benefit You", within the drop downs there are links to some illustrations which describe visually what the type claims in each dropdown. Please send me feedback here once you have a look at those.
Copy. I'll visit there as soon as I have a few minutes and a not busy brain. LOL. Being that be pole are throwing prefeeds and using systems like the Twinline, I get where your device is applicable. My struggle has always been how to set up the system and not make it the last climb of the day to go unf@@$ what I mistakenly build at the beginning of the climb. I moved from the Pulleysaver to the Ropeguide because I kept struggling with consistent retrieval. I occasionally still have to rescue my Ropeguide but having an access line just makes it a pain, not a long pain.
 

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom