Ideal Multicender

burtonbc1400

I'm pondering a new type of multicender based on a principle different from what is currently available. I've never used a multicender, but it seems like desirable attributes include:
Reasonably small and light
Mid-line attachable with no disassembly
No potential for free fall
Easy tending during ascent and branch walks
Integral chest roller (device easily clips on/off a chest harness while climber is on the device)
Easy way to disable descent function (for safety while working)
Replaceable wear surfaces (at reasonable cost) or very long service life
Compatible with a variety of ropes without adjustment
Smooth operation on pitchy ropes
No or little sit back
Easily modulated descent speed
Suitable for SRS and MRS
Are their other attributes I've missed? How important is a swivel on the main connection? (I already know it should cost less than $20 and spit out a cheeseburger at lunch time!)
Roperunner Pro

To create friction for descent, the rappel rack is approaching ideal in my opinion. Modulation of friction is easily managed to accommodate wildly different conditions. They work well on very supple ropes and ropes so stiff you can barely knot them. Dry ropes, wet ropes, ropes covered in mud. Single rope and double rope. Thin ropes and fat ropes. Slick rope and furry rope. Short rappels and rappels of over 1/2 mile. Little climbers and 2 person loads. I see the big challenge to be creating a device with great descent characteristics which instantly and effortlessly converts to negligible friction when moved upward.
If you're ever in Iceland, check this out:
700 ft down a lava tube! It was spectacular, even on their little elevator contraption when we did it. No Way I'd rap this on anything but a rap rack - to my mind the key, besides smooth rope control, would be heat dissipation!
Climbing a rope up though, might take this guy a bit a time!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom