Hey Look at My Crud...

KTSmith

Resinous polypore 27Jul20r .jpg
So all three images are of the same Norway maple, zooming in on a lachrymose/resinous polypore. This is right across the street from my house in Portland, ME. I expect it to be Ischnoderma resinosum but I suppose it could be Inonotus dryadeus. Will know more when an actual bracket gets produced. I'd be happy to consider another possible identification!

KTSmith

OK, I'll bite. I'd start with genus Lepiota (or Macrolepiota, to be more current). The "parasol fungus", a prominent edible, is L. procera. Unfortunately, there are some toxic (to lethality) members of the genus. Give it time, I expect it will form a flat cap.

KTSmith

Wonderful Monotropa! Maybe folks might like some background which to JD is old hat.
Perfectly self-respecting heath flowers (family Ericaceae). This is an unusual achlorophyllous genus which rather than making its own food through photosynthesis, it breaks down the carbohydrates formed by the mycorrhizal fungus...which in turn originated from photosynthesis by a green plant, probably a tree. So the mycorrhizal fungus provides a bridging function. The transfer of carbs from plant to fungus to plant (reciprocal translocation) was part of my dissertation topic. Sorry about that!

KTSmith

For the fuzzy yellow one, I'd start with the Dyer's Polypore, Phaeolus schweinitzii. Pretty common on spruce and some other conifers in the north. Grows at the tree base or from woody roots that are being decayed. Starts out yellow. At maturity, the upper surface of the cap may be banded yellow and brown.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom