foot ascender on your climbing spikes

JeffGu

I have two big wall harnesses that I modified for tree work (both Petzl Caladris) because even with the mods, they're lighter than anything else I have tried. I work mostly alone or with only one helper so it works for me, I'm rarely in the tree for very long in a single stretch. Of course, if I'm going to be on gaffs, I don't use them because they get uncomfortable pretty quick, and they won't really handle the weight of a big saw well. But for quick trips, setting anchors, scrambling around to make a few cuts then back down to clean it up, or in a bucket... I love 'em. They're set up for different purposes, depending on what I'm doing, and with the mods the two of them cost less than any tree harness that is lightweight.

Stephen Moore

I have two big wall harnesses that I modified for tree work (both Petzl Caladris) because even with the mods, they're lighter than anything else I have tried. I work mostly alone or with only one helper so it works for me, I'm rarely in the tree for very long in a single stretch. Of course, if I'm going to be on gaffs, I don't use them because they get uncomfortable pretty quick, and they won't really handle the weight of a big saw well. But for quick trips, setting anchors, scrambling around to make a few cuts then back down to clean it up, or in a bucket... I love 'em. They're set up for different purposes, depending on what I'm doing, and with the mods the two of them cost less than any tree harness that is lightweight.
Nice! Yes they are much lighter for sure, the only thing I would caution is they may not be commercially rated for tree work and they certainly are not rated for bucket truck operation in BC. Don’t ask me why? I’ve taken some mighty fine headers in them, they do as advertised for sure!

Eric H-L

Thanks Stephen,
Ideally I want to practice spiking more on removal trees that I don’t need ascenders for. I just wanted some technique I could use when I need both ascenders and spikes on the same tree. Before I got foot and knee ascenders, I had been ascending trees Caving/Industrial Rope Access style with one or two hand ascenders with foot loops and a chest ascender. This should work well even with irons if I am careful not to gaff my rope. I think It’s similar to what you are suggesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lemonjello

Reviving this thread. Any known way to get a foot ascender on the DMM shank geckos? I’m looking at a machine shop to drill/tap the shank to possibly attach a modified plate for a CT removable foot ascender. (I’d rather not drill into my gaffs)

Reviving this thread. Any known way to get a foot ascender on the DMM shank geckos? I’m looking at a machine shop to drill/tap the shank to possibly attach a modified plate for a CT removable foot ascender. (I’d rather not drill into my gaffs)
Here was my solution to the problem, I used one of the Quick step ascenders and had a backing plate welded on by a better welder than myself. The ascender mechanism can unclip from the plate. I only put it on when needed. The backing plate does not really interfere with my climbing and is not really noticeable. Ideally the whole thing would be smaller and more in line with the shank of the spur... but it works quite well.
I hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0094 copy.jpg
    IMG_0094 copy.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 41

Jonny

The weld and design looks beautiful, at least to my inexperienced eye.

Does that chunk of metal rub on the ankle or leg?

The weld and design looks beautiful, at least to my inexperienced eye.

Does that chunk of metal rub on the ankle or leg?
Initially I was worried about it but I've not had any problems with it even during long ascents and removals.
The friend that welded it for me is a real craftsman his specialty is fabricating beer brewing tanks.

Flying~Squirrel

Is there no risk of nicking your rope with an ascender on your spikes?
The closer you are to danger, the further you are from harm! Since the ascender holds the rope and inch or two behind the spike, they are usually kept mostly separate. Plus, the same motion that would drive the spike into your rope is the same motion that makes the ascender grab.

colb

Did you check the latest KKs? I know they have broadened the list of compatibility. Not sure if yours are included...

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom