Food Thread

Reach

@Reach What would you substitute for the Zuc ?
Anything! I’m not a squash fan, haven’t met one I liked besides pumpkin, and I only eat that in a pie or bread.

I would probably do green beans personally, or if I was looking for presentation I might do asparagus, for something a little different.

SeanRuel

@Reach
Fried tofu is pretty easy, with a little foresight. You have to press out the moisture for a while before cooking for good texture. Then just cube it up, shake in some cornstarch and fry

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that looks good! But what’s a Sunchoke?
Sunchokes are a tubular-shaped, thin-skinned root vegetable of the sunflower plant family that's in season from late fall through early spring. Often mistakenly referred to as Jerusalem artichokes, sunchokes have no origins in Jerusalem, and they really don't taste like artichokes.

They look a lot like a knobby ginger root.

They taste like a rich, nutty potato.

VenasNursery

Sunchokes are a tubular-shaped, thin-skinned root vegetable of the sunflower plant family that's in season from late fall through early spring. Often mistakenly referred to as Jerusalem artichokes, sunchokes have no origins in Jerusalem, and they really don't taste like artichokes.

Never heard of them either but sounds interesting

Reach

That’s interesting. It does look a lot like ginger root. I will have to look them up, maybe try one some time. Thank you for the explanation!

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pork Tenderloin Spicy Jerky AND Lamb Sirloin Steak Jerky
Another batch of Jerky w/ Lamb experiment.

~ 4 lb Pork, ½” thick, ~ $3.50/lb
(Tamari, balsamic, sugar, garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes, chipotle, fennel, anise, MSG)

~ ½ lb Lamb, ½” thick, ~ $24/lb – experiment (Lamb is on the RH side of top dehydration rack)
(Tamari, black pepper, garlic powder - - - I wanted to taste the lamb, not just the spices)
- Lamb is on the RH side of the Top Drying Rack.

Marinate 15 hrs
Dehydrate at 130°F for 6 hrs
210327 Pork n Lamb Jerky - Raw - IMG_0582 (002).JPG
210327 Pork n Lamb Jerky - Dried - IMG_0584 (002).JPG
210327  Pork n Lamb Jerky - Done - IMG_0585.JPG

Reach

Pork Tenderloin Spicy Jerky AND Lamb Sirloin Steak Jerky
Another batch of Jerky w/ Lamb experiment.

~ 4 lb Pork, ½” thick, ~ $3.50/lb
(Tamari, balsamic, sugar, garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes, chipotle, fennel, anise, MSG)

~ ½ lb Lamb, ½” thick, ~ $24/lb – experiment (Lamb is on the RH side of top dehydration rack)
(Tamari, black pepper, garlic powder - - - I wanted to taste the lamb, not just the spices)
- Lamb is on the RH side of the Top Drying Rack.

Marinate 15 hrs
Dehydrate at 130°F for 6 hrs
View attachment 74658
View attachment 74659
View attachment 74660
Well that looks good! I’ve never thought about lamb jerky, I’ll have to try it some time. Of course I should probably start with lamb chops, I’ve never actually cooked lamb of any sort.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that looks good! I’ve never thought about lamb jerky, I’ll have to try it some time. Of course I should probably start with lamb chops, I’ve never actually cooked lamb of any sort.
For a 1st time try at lamb, I might suggest looking for some lamb sirloin steaks.
Don't over cook.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom