First Chipper - Won't Start

PJPJ

Alright guys. My apologies before hand. I did not even think to see if the safety button on the rear of the chipper was pushed in or not. I finally got a chance to start her up and figured I would check that before anything else. That was the issue. Fired right up and let it run for a bit.

Now... Can anyone give me any tips on engaging the PTO clutch? Is there a certain RPM I am supposed to engage it at? Am I listening / feeling for a "bump" before I engage? I do not want to ruin this thing right after I got it.

Thanks a lot!

Reach

Always engage and disengage your clutch ad idle. How you engage it depends on what style it is; some clutched get gently eased in, others get “bumped”.

Do you have an auto clutch, or a double disc? The easiest way i know to tell us to move the clutch lever when the engine is off. An auto clutch will lever will rotate about 90 degrees, and be pulled in by a spring once it gets past center. A double disc will not move very far, and require a good shove to lock it in to place.

evo

About 1000 rpms in and out, if left at idle leave clutch engaged.

The one I used was a twin disk clutch. Bump it but don’t engage to get the disk moving then apply pressure. You will hear the rpms drop, then smooth out and pull to lock it in.

PJPJ

It is a twin disc cluth not an auto clutch. So engage it at idle rpm’s? Slowly until things start turning and then bump it in?

Reach

My twin disc says to “bump” it a few times until the drum is up to speed enough to lock it in. It says not to ease it in, as that burns up the disc very quickly. All I can say is it must work that way, because it’s got 5200 hours on the original clutch.

PJPJ

Hey guys, just an update. So I got everything running and put some wood through it. It chips great. Here is a video on how to engage clutch that I followed in case anyone is wondering / looking.

Does anyone know what kind of hydraulic fluid these take? It looks like my tank is only 1/4 full and should be 3/4 full. Any way to tell what is in there now? Can I mix different types of fluid?

Changed the fuel filters, changed oil with 15W-40 & oil filter, changed air filter and put in a new battery. It starts right up now, thank God.

Does anyone know what oil pressure should be reading on a Cummins 4B 3.9L? It was reading about 60PSI @ 2000RPMs. Before I changed the oil out it would sit around 50PSI. Thanks,

Peter

southsoundtree

Call the dealer for a manual. Might be online.

Drain that oil and change the filter, if you're that low, IMO.

Is there a hydraulic fluid 'eye' or dipstick? Is the dipstick broken off the cap?

PJPJ

Call the dealer for a manual. Might be online.

Drain that oil and change the filter, if you're that low, IMO.

Is there a hydraulic fluid 'eye' or dipstick? Is the dipstick broken off the cap?
I called Morbark and they gave me a manual as close as they could to my model year but there are no PSI specs on oil pressure.

I will change out fluid, might as well right?

No dipstick so I will just jimmy something up to check it. Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone else know what oil pressure should be reading? Thanks

VenasNursery

I called Morbark and they gave me a manual as close as they could to my model year but there are no PSI specs on oil pressure.

I will change out fluid, might as well right?

No dipstick so I will just jimmy something up to check it. Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone else know what oil pressure should be reading? Thanks
Morbark don’t make engines

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom