Fictional Favorites

Just recently finished my reread of Dune as well in preparation for the movie coming out here in the US in the upcoming weeks! Also read Crime & Punishment which is an awesome book. I just ordered War & Peace and The Brothers Karamazov the other day.

Two other fiction books I recently finished were The Hobbit and 2001 A Space Odyssey. Both awesome books as well!

Aerial Traveler

Branched out member
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter Thomspon
The Color Out of Space (short story), H.P. Lovecraft
Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy
The Road, Cormac McCarthy
Florida Roadkill, Tim Dorsey
Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
Fight Club, Chuck Palahnuik
Dice Man, Luke Rhinehart
American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis
Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carrol
Doomsday Book, Connie Willis
Moby Dick, Herman Melville

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Lovecraft scares me...I don't read his stuff at night. Great writing

The Road! I was told not to start reading it unless I blocked out time to read it in one sitting. That's been said before. Good thing it was winter and I didn't hav jobs scheduled. Such a sad, but hopeful, story. I cried reading the book and cried more seeing the movie. Movie is very well done, faithful to the book.

Reach

Been here a while
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter Thomspon
The Color Out of Space (short story), H.P. Lovecraft
Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy
The Road, Cormac McCarthy
Florida Roadkill, Tim Dorsey
Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
Fight Club, Chuck Palahnuik
Dice Man, Luke Rhinehart
American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis
Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carrol
Doomsday Book, Connie Willis
Moby Dick, Herman Melville
Moby Dick was excellent. I am also a huge fan of Jules Verne, I believe I have read every book he wrote, or at least every book I could get my hands on.

DSW

No chastising from me I didn’t actually read it- I listened to it on tape! And yes looking forward to the movie.

Oh the horrorrrrrrr!

If I'm going to sit down and read something it's going to be a physical copy, probably a cheap paperback that I can use and manhandle and not feel bad about. That probably won't ever change for me, personally. But audio is great for all the other times when that's not feasible. Good voice actors can add something as well that my monotone nature won't put out.

Reach

Been here a while
One recent read that brought me to tears was My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult. From Wikipedia, “It tells the story of thirteen-year-old Anna Fitzgerald, who sues her parents for medical emancipation when she is told to donate a kidney to her elder sister Kate, who is gradually dying from acute leukemia.”

I started reading that book about 9 in the evening, figuring on reading a little and then going to bed. I did not stop until I finished the book, around 3 AM. It was an intense read, on a very controversial topic, and kept me thinking hard from the start to the end. A couple major plot twists too, that I did not see coming until the very end, that really made the book. I highly recommend reading it. It’s one of the few books I would say is a “must read.”

This book was made into a movie too, which I watched afterwards - the movie was good, but not good enough. The ending was changed, which threw off the whole story, so while it was a movie I enjoyed, I can’t say it would be even close to a replacement for the book.

evo

Been here a while
Years ago when I was working with a well known arborist in the Portland area, I asked him what books he recommended me to read. I fully expected him to say to read books about plant biology or pruning. He recommended The Baron In The Trees by Italo Calvino. It is a fanciful story about a guy who had a myriad of adventures and lived most of his life in the trees.
That sounds like Portland

evo

Been here a while
I’m also very fond of David Sedaris and if anyone can get their hands on anything by Jennifer Mills she’s one bad ass author and friend.

DSW

Nice recommendation Evo. I re-read some David Sedaris last year, while my daughter was swimming, and he had me cracking up all over again.

surveyor

Carpal tunnel level member
I do tend to only like non fiction anymore, but an excellent book is Old Abe, by John Cribb.
Also author Ernest K. Gann, an early aviator is good.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom