Dropped top handle saw today...

Christrees

Participating member
Heres an idea.. Instead of reading specs and taking advice from folks who have never run a 194, you should probably go try one... I reckon you will discover why Stihl makes both....
I'm thinking of picking 1 up..the buddy that has 1 lives aways away. 2 hours. I think I may have ran his before. He seems to like it for $350 you can't beat that. I'd rather get another 201 but I switch saws alot when cutting. When I'm into bigger wood I switch to a 25 or 46

treesap

Participating member
Heres an idea.. Instead of reading specs and taking advice from folks who have never run a 194, you should probably go try one... I reckon you will discover why Stihl makes both....
exactly
but still, without the ability to run one the only option is watch reviews and read the specs

Reach

Been here a while
I'm thinking of picking 1 up..the buddy that has 1 lives aways away. 2 hours. I think I may have ran his before. He seems to like it for $350 you can't beat that. I'd rather get another 201 but I switch saws alot when cutting. When I'm into bigger wood I switch to a 25 or 46
After running a 201, the 194 is going to be a disappointment if you’re doing removals, but for pruning it will do just fine. I ran one for years, with a 12” bar, and found that it had enough power for the 12” but not much more. It’s not nearly the saw that the 201 is. The engine is not as durable/long lasting either, which is probably why the price difference is so great.

Christrees

Participating member
After running a 201, the 194 is going to be a disappointment if you’re doing removals, but for pruning it will do just fine. I ran one for years, with a 12” bar, and found that it had enough power for the 12” but not much more. It’s not nearly the saw that the 201 is. The engine is not as durable/long lasting either, which is probably why the price difference is so great.
Oh ok thanks man I appreciate your wisdom.. I would be do removals that what I do the most. I made just enough on my job to get a new 201 just don't want to invest that much yet. I'm trying to get into this century on my rigging gear. I rig old school right now. Natural crotch and when I don't have 1 I make 1 into the wood.

Christrees

Participating member
For what it's worth, the echo 355t is about the same price point and will out cut a 193, at least in my experience. Better warranty to boot. I like my 355t with a 14" bar, doesn't quite have the guts as a 201 or t540 when it comes to pulling a 16".
Right now I'm all sthil...always been all sthil. But I'm not against trying out other brands. Just would want to try 1 out before I buy 1 out of pocket. Right now I'm trying to branch out to other companies and work on the weekend if I don't have any private jobs. So learn new ways of doing shit and stuff like that trying to branch out. They'd prob have different brands so hopefully I can try them out that way. I've worked for 3 other companies we have around us. But there's alot more. Thanks for your advice I've been curious about echo

Reach

Been here a while
Oh ok thanks man I appreciate your wisdom.. I would be do removals that what I do the most. I made just enough on my job to get a new 201 just don't want to invest that much yet. I'm trying to get into this century on my rigging gear. I rig old school right now. Natural crotch and when I don't have 1 I make 1 into the wood.
It’s hard to figure out how to best spend your money for sure, a spare climbing saw is a great thing to have, but so is modern rigging gear.

Christrees

Participating member
It’s hard to figure out how to best spend your money for sure, a spare climbing saw is a great thing to have, but so is modern rigging gear.
Yeah definitely...I want to get the rigging gear first. Then I'll get another top handle. Mines in the shop as we speak. Sucked having to pick with a ms250. Haven't had to do that in awhile. But thanks man good advice

Christrees

Participating member
Picked up my saw today after work...it was just the plug. Needed a new 1. I figured that's what it was ,but also been having been having a hard time shutting it off with the switch . So just in case it had anything to do with that I took it up there. And there ordering a new ring and plate for the ring mount cheap only like $10. . So that's good that can be fixed too. Been using my notch recoil lanyard girth hitches around the trigger handle I like it but it gets in the way. So I had to dig out my 12in weaver lanyard and I'll try that out tomorrow see if it gets in the way. I don't think it will.

CjM

Participating member
You may be able to hook the side handle if you have a "Transporter"/Shembiner/etc type of hook, I know I can rack 2 of my climbsaws that way but the bigger one is uncomfortable, a 201 may be too large to be comfortable there..
I'm late to this thread also, but this is the way and the light. 201 racked by the handle is great, just keep your scabbard on it or it will find your climb line on limb walks. Also has the added benefit of keeping your bar away from your arbpros, fancy saw pants/tenex slings. I find it goes on and off the saddle faster with a little practice.

56AEEB0F-5405-4969-BB62-CD6AEEC5D73E.jpeg

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom