Cutting my climbing rope while I'm hanging from it ..

Chaplain242

We used to do this demo for kids when I taught rock climbing at a summer camp, but about 2" off the ground and over pads.

It's a great demonstration for teaching about how ropes are constructed and how we can trust the same fabric used to make pantyhose with high loads and our lives.

But jeez, that video was bananas. Reminded me of this

Context

Ouch... now that video brings a shiver... not really the same as sharp objects in the fall path constitute a next level of risk. Did this rock climber survive?

CjM

Obviously not a situation you'll see in the canopy. The climber survived.

Very interrsting to see how long the rope takes to break through the sheath and how long the core held on though.

Chaplain242

Obviously not a situation you'll see in the canopy. The climber survived.

Very interrsting to see how long the rope takes to break through the sheath and how long the core held on though.

yes that jagged edge just seemed to keep cutting and the cutting was a little faster than I would have expected..

CjM

Remember that that was likely a rope <9.8mm, and also a very dynamic line.

I like to examine accidents across different industries/sports, interesting data to be gleamed. Looking at this accident I think is important as arborists get further away from 3/12/16 strand ropes and move more towards these types of kernmantle lines.

dmonn

Except for the blade, it looked pretty well-done and relatively safe. It also looked like a fun thing to do. No real scientific method behind it, but so what. A little painful to watch a good rope being cut (shortened), but I often have a lot less fun spending $3.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom