CMC lift failure

VenasNursery

Have to say Venas I took a different view on the All Access and UpE chatter.

All Access and Ale (AA sales rep) seem to be guiding the direction into operator error and misuse. Time will tell, but they are going out on a limb I believe stating that the equipment is all perfectly fine if used properly. Lives and families are at stake here. We're all seeing the facts, the fails and yet other pieces of same models coming forward with cracks and such. Seems like a lot of misuse but I read in another post that Monday they will be posting pictures of all this misuse.

I did think Up was a bit forward in stating that a major recall of both the units needs to occur. Perhaps a bit forward, but they're really picking up and making points that All Access should be stepping to the plate and making. I did not think they were bashing them at all, just making some valid points. This is not a minor situation. Is this thier right or place to do so? Maybe not but they're trying to call it as they see it. I'm more surprised at All A response to this.

I'm definitely not here to defend UpE, I'm a Platform Basket owner, but they did chip in $1000 to the GoFundMe page.

Let's just hope all this awareness will prevent any more serious accidents. That is the main point of all of this.
No doubt
Deepest thoughts forAll people that have been injured
And current owners and operator should be at least concerned and absolutely doing inspections beginning the job and lunch until the investigation is over
Being a owner I am concerned

But
For up equipment to attack their competitor during this time with no evidence is LOW

Go fund me is thoughtful but 1k donation or cheap advertisement
Bad d welds happens all the time unfortunately
Including for up equipment according to past threads right here on tree buzz

I do not talk bad about my competitors at all
Bad business period
And then bad mouth someone before the osha report comes out is not good at all

The internet is a really helpful thing when used for good or can be very vicious
So only what I’ve read is the second picture of a upper boom failing
That happened after that machine was flipped on its side then was inspected and did not pass and they still ran it because it functioned
They were told the upper needed to be replaced
But I don’t know what believe
I do know I’m waiting for the investigation and get the full report

Ive only been around bucket trucks and lifts for 12 years
IMO only met a handful of operators that don’t abuse the equipment that their life goes up in

absolutely crazy

No offense to any member here but I think how up equipment represented their self was cowardly
Apparently others feel the same
And the truth will come out on this whole situation
Very soon

BooRad

No doubt
Deepest thoughts forAll people that have been injured
And current owners and operator should be at least concerned and absolutely doing inspections beginning the job and lunch until the investigation is over
Being a owner I am concerned

But
For up equipment to attack their competitor during this time with no evidence is LOW

Go fund me is thoughtful but 1k donation or cheap advertisement
Bad d welds happens all the time unfortunately
Including for up equipment according to past threads right here on tree buzz

I do not talk bad about my competitors at all
Bad business period
And then bad mouth someone before the osha report comes out is not good at all

The internet is a really helpful thing when used for good or can be very vicious
So only what I’ve read is the second picture of a upper boom failing
That happened after that machine was flipped on its side then was inspected and did not pass and they still ran it because it functioned
They were told the upper needed to be replaced
But I don’t know what believe
I do know I’m waiting for the investigation and get the full report

Ive only been around bucket trucks and lifts for 12 years
IMO only met a handful of operators that don’t abuse the equipment that their life goes up in

absolutely crazy

No offense to any member here but I think how up equipment represented their self was cowardly
Apparently others feel the same
And the truth will come out on this whole situation
Very soon
Wow, if you're correct and one of these was flipped, deemed out of use, and then still operated, that is a whole different ballgame.

VenasNursery

Wow, if you're correct and one of these was flipped, deemed out of use, and then still operated, that is a whole different ballgame.
At this point I don’t know what to believe
But
A local company flipped a tuepen and are still running it also I don’t know if they had it inspected or not
For now
I’m standing behind my machine and all access and cmc
I know of quite a few 83hd in the field for over 5 years and even some purchased 92hd and kept their 83hd so I put a lot of faith in these machines based on those facts

Both incidents don’t look like it had to do with welds
But I’m talking out my ass because I’m a tree guy not even a credited Arborist

UP Equip

If you think this is all about bashing I think you don't get the point: This is about sleeping well at night.

We have publicly written that NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO CRUCIFY ALL ACCESS FOR BREAKAGE reported all over the medias, the web, on several rental equipment magazines, on facebook or elsewhere. They are just selling the product and we understand what an awkward position they must be in.

By the way, All Access doesn’t manufacture the lifts... How can you state this? They told you that? You’ve seen it at their shop? All Access is a distributor, like us. Yes we compete fiercly but until this issue, WE have always fought in the « cage » of specs and features of units.

What makes us MAD is the joint declaration with the manufacturer who rejects any responsibility barely 2 days after the last accident, even before the investigation process is put in place. This is not acceptable from our point of view, and from any manufacturer’s stand point. Furthermore, the official statement from CMC owner’s son on FB few hours later.

Take a few moments and make some search on the web about how serious manufacturers address this type of situation. Without spending to much of your time, type JLG lift recall, Genie Lift accident report, Manitowoc accident and see for yourself how they manage this kind of event. The point is to make people AWARE. This is my point. Period.

If all of your comments on this tread about this incident serve to convince yourself that your own unit is okay, it's your decision. In the meantime, I suggest that you contact your insurance company to shed some light on it. It appears that some insurers have already instructed their customers to stop using the equipment while awaiting findings. Search the web and you will see.

But what about the CMC owners who happen not to know, or are not aware? Has their lift been inspected like yours? Can they state with as much confidence than you how safe it is? Do you really think that Sam Neterval-Quiel jumped in the bucket tossing a coin?? NO. Up until his lung got punctured and his bones broke, HE TOO THOUGHT HIS LIFT WAS SAFE!!! Needless to say more... If that doesn’t make sense to you, what will...

In order to answer your allegations about Easy Lift , here are the brutal facts;

YES, It is very possible for cracks to form on manlift, knuckles booms and cranes. This is why there is an obligation to in spect them daily, weekly, monthly and annualy. This is not just some small talk in a tea lounge, it’s mandatory. If a customer with one of our lift discovers a defect, he must report it immediately. The only information available about serious and potentially life-threatening cracks on EasyLift is the result of equipment that has been damaged / rolled over when unloading from the trailer. If you have any other information on this subject, please share it.

YES, we had carriage problems with the half dozen of the early 87-48AJs put into service early in 2017. 100% true. You have the right information and we have already posted multiple times on this a long time ago. We have never hidden this because in the age of social media, nothing is hidden. While this was not a life threatening item, the vast majority, if not all, of the units involved were repatriated at our expense and repaired.

YES, we have faulty switches and sensors sometime . There is not a switch manufacturer who does not have this issue. And again, it is not information that is hidden, nor involving someone's life. Each of the switches or sensor fail is compiled independently in order to ensure that the fail rate remains acceptable. If it’s ever happen, we assume that the manufacturer will find a solution , replace or update it with something more reliable. As far as now, depend on the model of switch or sensor, the fail rate is something around 4/1000. FYI, fail rate mean that the cause is unknown. If the switch is physically broken by self inflicted damage, this is not counted in the fail rate. There are hundreds of owners on this forum who never replaced any in years. Some have replace 1, some have replaced more.

YES very special parts may take a long time to arrive BUT it must be really special or painted to your company color because no one on this forum will be able to say that you are right and that they have had to wait for weeks and weeks. We take great care to compile all the data and our fill rate from 2018 to 2021 is 98.5% of the parts ordered are shipped in 12 hours or less.

YES, you can search the web and find what it takes to catch us wrong to convince yourself that your unit is safe. Search as much as you want, we do what we do for those who do not.

YES, Dave Webb is as a competent person having spoken to him on the phone several times in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VenasNursery

If you think this is all about bashing I think you don't get the point: This is about sleeping well at night.

We have publicly written that NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO CRUCIFY ALL ACCESS FOR BREAKAGE reported all over the medias, the web, on several rental equipment magazines, on facebook or elsewhere. They are just selling the product and we understand what an awkward position they must be in.

By the way, All Access doesn’t manufacture the lifts... How can you state this? They told you that? You’ve seen it at their shop? All Access is a distributor, like us. Yes we compete fiercly but until this issue, WE have always fought in the « cage » of specs and features of units.

What makes us MAD is the joint declaration with the manufacturer who rejects any responsibility barely 2 days after the last accident, even before the investigation process is put in place. This is not acceptable from our point of view, and from any manufacturer’s stand point. Furthermore, the official statement from CMC owner’s son on FB few hours later.

Take a few moments and make some search on the web about how serious manufacturers address this type of situation. Without spending to much of your time, type JLG lift recall, Genie Lift accident report, Manitowoc accident and see for yourself how they manage this kind of event. The point is to make people AWARE. This is my point. Period.

If all of your comments on this tread about this incident serve to convince yourself that your own unit is okay, it's your decision. In the meantime, I suggest that you contact your insurance company to shed some light on it. It appears that some insurers have already instructed their customers to stop using the equipment while awaiting findings. Search the web and you will see.

But what about the CMC owners who happen not to know, or are not aware? Has their lift been inspected like yours? Can they state with as much confidence than you how safe it is? Do you really think that Sam Neterval-Quiel jumped in the bucket tossing a coin?? NO. Up until his lung got punctured and his bones broke, HE TOO THOUGHT HIS LIFT WAS SAFE!!! Needless to say more... If that doesn’t make sense to you, what will...

In order to answer your allegations about Easy Lift , here are the brutal facts;

YES, It is very possible for cracks to form on manlift, knuckles booms and cranes. This is why there is an obligation to in spect them daily, weekly, monthly and annualy. This is not just some small talk in a tea lounge, it’s mandatory. If a customer with one of our lift discovers a defect, he must report it immediately. The only information available about serious and potentially life-threatening cracks on EasyLift is the result of equipment that has been damaged / rolled over when unloading from the trailer. If you have any other information on this subject, please share it.

YES, we had carriage problems with the half dozen of the early 87-48AJs put into service early in 2017. 100% true. You have the right information and we have already posted multiple times on this a long time ago. We have never hidden this because in the age of social media, nothing is hidden. While this was not a life threatening item, the vast majority, if not all, of the units involved were repatriated at our expense and repaired.

YES, we have faulty switches and sensors sometime . There is not a switch manufacturer who does not have this issue. And again, it is not information that is hidden, nor involving someone's life. Each of the switches or sensor fail is compiled independently in order to ensure that the fail rate remains acceptable. If it’s ever happen, we assume that the manufacturer will find a solution , replace or update it with something more reliable. As far as now, depend on the model of switch or sensor, the fail rate is something around 4/1000. FYI, fail rate mean that the cause is unknown. If the switch is physically broken by self inflicted damage, this is not counted in the fail rate. There are hundreds of owners on this forum who never replaced any in years. Some have replace 1, some have replaced more.

YES very special parts may take a long time to arrive BUT it must be really special or painted to your company color because no one on this forum will be able to say that you are right and that they have had to wait for weeks and weeks. We take great care to compile all the data and our fill rate from 2018 to 2021 is 98.5% of the parts ordered are shipped in 12 hours or less.

YES, you can search the web and find what it takes to catch us wrong to convince yourself that your unit is safe. Search as much as you want, we do what we do for those who do not.

YES, Dave Webb is as a competent person having spoken to him on the phone several times in the past.

All Access never told me they manufacturer their lifts
But pointed out that they are only a dealer same as you
As far as parts - undercarriage-sensor or whatever every manufacturer of anything breaks
Recalls parts go on back order
But for you guys to make negative comments and assumptions on your competitors DIRTY

You know what I still think you sell a nice piece of equipment but your actions show your true inner being

Whether you like it or not all of you and your competitors are all tied together

This investigation may effect all of you

By the way

What percent of easy lifts problems are caused by operators and abuse

Do you not think there’s a coincidence in two days 2 different pictures of upper boom failures (was posted that both happened within 24 hrs)but happened months apart
And now broken welds pictures start popping up 9 in 72 hrs
Even though the welds don’t have have anything to do with the boom failure
IMO

Time will tell

VenasNursery

We all have a right to our own opinion

But to advertise it especially after someone got injured without knowing facts is totally irresponsible

Maybe you know more about this situation than what you are advertising

And you know maybe All Access and CMC do too

VenasNursery

Just curious
How do you know that insurance has grounded 83hd ?
Did you know someone that this happened to
Read it or what
Is it facts or hear say
This is my whole point

True or False you are still speaking against your competitor
If there was that much evidence OSHA would have shut down every machine
So apparently it’s not clear what happened

deevo

Well said and 100% agree on everything said, not only as one of your long time customers and nothing against @VenasNursery but CMC is passing the buck blaming this accident and shitty welds on their customers and not even supporting their users or ordering a stop on using their lifts until things get resolved is absolutely absurd. What’s it going to take someone to die? How many more cracked booms are out there that people who aren’t on social media not sharing ? Maybe yours and some of the newer ones are ok, but holy crap it’s pretty scary this has happened and others are now sharing. The others could of been self inflicted also or not. Bottom line for CMC and AAE is take care of your customers and users don’t pass blame and go hide in a dark hole.

deevo

All Access never told me they manufacturer their lifts
But pointed out that they are only a dealer same as you
As far as parts - undercarriage-sensor or whatever every manufacturer of anything breaks
Recalls parts go on back order
But for you guys to make negative comments and assumptions on your competitors DIRTY

You know what I still think you sell a nice piece of equipment but your actions show your true inner being

Whether you like it or not all of you and your competitors are all tied together

This investigation may effect all of you

By the way

What percent of easy lifts problems are caused by operators and abuse

Do you not think there’s a coincidence in two days 2 different pictures of upper boom failures (was posted that both happened within 24 hrs)but happened months apart
And now broken welds pictures start popping up 9 in 72 hrs
Even though the welds don’t have have anything to do with the boom failure
IMO

Time will tell
I’ve seen both kinds of machines flipped by error use, and another used as a crâne around me to lift logs. Almost 99% of the time these machines are damaged by the users not manufacturer defects. They aren’t bucket trucks they can’t take a hit from a branch, crap dropped on them. I tell my guys they are an extension of your legs don’t do something stupid that would break them.

VenasNursery

Well said and 100% agree on everything said, not only as one of your long time customers and nothing against @VenasNursery but CMC is passing the buck blaming this accident and shitty welds on their customers and not even supporting their users or ordering a stop on using their lifts until things get resolved is absolutely absurd. What’s it going to take someone to die? How many more cracked booms are out there that people who aren’t on social media not sharing ? Maybe yours and some of the newer ones are ok, but holy crap it’s pretty scary this has happened and others are now sharing. The others could of been self inflicted also or not. Bottom line for CMC and AAE is take care of your customers and users don’t pass blame and go hide in a dark hole.
Welds breaking is no good at all
No excuses
Daily inspections
But as far as boom failure
For now IMO all speculation until report comes out
To much he said she said

I called OSHA they told me any indication of flawed design or bad batch of machines from the very beginning of a investigation they would ground all machines until investigation is complete
Time will tell

VenasNursery

We took delivery April 20th during COVID shutdown
Opened up May 1st until March 1st (today) 45 days off (winter vacation)
604 hrs currently in 9 months of use

Daily inspections
Beginning of the day and lunch now (only once a day before last week)
No broken welds
1 broken plexiglass cover over controls $12
1 joystick rod broke $300
1 coolant overflow bottle under warranty (rubbed against bell housing causing a leak)
fixed my self
All parts arrived at my yard within 24hrs no extra shipping charges
Rock solid machine and All Access has been great to work with
CD9D269C-B76B-4DFE-AC17-30AD09118183.jpeg

Arborist1

We were set to get a 72HD+ delivered about 72 hours after this accident happened. We ended up calling and delaying the shipment. We are an educational institution and we did not feel safe accepting and running any CMC lift until the OSHA investigation is complete; even though they are different models and from what I understand different designs.

All Access was not the most receptive of the postponement, for obvious reasons. One of the technicians actually told us we should just accept the lift and sell it (which is completely absurd). When I spoke to some "higher ups" at All Access I think we came to somewhat of an agreement, although the vast majority of the talk was them trying to convince me to accept the lift, including threatening extra costs, etc. I just flat out told them, there is no way I am putting myself or a student up into one of their lifts until and independent investigation is complete and they can insure their design, and construction, on all of their lifts are safe.

I think the way that All Access and CMC handles this situation will go a long way to their future in the arboriculture sector. We are such a tight-knit community and what happened is a complete tragedy. To me it's a no brainer that CMC and All Access should notify all customers with the HD83+ to remove from service until investigation is done, but I understand the monetary cost involved.

While we wait for answers I encourage everyone to visit the GoFundMe page and make a donation if you able.

MA Arborist

In CMCs statement about the boom failures, they mention that they “observed posts on social media of the lifts being used improperly”.
Are they referring specifically to their own (CMC lifts), or all compact lifts in general?
I cannot find any posts involving abuse of their lifts yet...anyone have a link???

Reactions: evo

VenasNursery

In CMCs statement about the boom failures, they mention that they “observed posts on social media of the lifts being used improperly”.
Are they referring specifically to their own (CMC lifts), or all compact lifts in general?
I cannot find any posts involving abuse of their lifts yet...anyone have a link???
No link
But cmc is supposed to be releasing them today I believe

Dan Cobb

On Industrail jobs where welding is concerned, there are 2 general classifications of welding: Structural & Pipe.

X-Ray testing is typically performed on 10% of welds completed on a Piping project- if no defects are found that’s great, but if defects are found then the frequency of testing goes up fast.
In power generation, 100% of high energy piping welds made during maintenance outages are x-rayed. But that's on alloy and stainless steels which may be subject to 1000 F and 3500 psi.

Crimsonking

Heartwood Tree Service out of Charlotte posted this. I’m inclined to think there may be an issue for CMC. Tomorrow I work with a company that has one. They’re a responsible bunch, and I hope they do the same inspection,

Attachments

• 79D18707-8BC5-4283-A6D2-983EF8D998E9.png
    79D18707-8BC5-4283-A6D2-983EF8D998E9.png
    2 MB · Views: 88
  • 0B791350-087C-4ED0-85A1-334F5281C709.png
    0B791350-087C-4ED0-85A1-334F5281C709.png
    603.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom