CMC lift failure

VenasNursery

Friend sent me this from face crack. Pretty scary
View attachment 73793 View attachment 73794
Wtf
Before I say anything I hope everyone comes out already
Scary we run one every day but we don’t know about any specifics on what happened
Once again hope all is well
Not good any way you look at it

inspection inspection inspection everyday for any lift

from what I see I could only assume that area was hit by something or hit something

only assuming

VenasNursery

we use our 83hd everyday
I examined mine this morning and the upper boom is not a 2 piece so I’m puzzled how that came apart square with no torn metal

Maybe on older generation machines they were 2 pieces?

Rigging could have failed

Never know now but I’m really interested to find out

I know of quite a few companies running the older generation machines and not have had a problem

only one incident I’ve heard of was someone falling through a septic tank

This has me puzzled but never know what this machine has been through , maintenance , abuse , annual or daily inspections , or repairs

a local company flipped their Tuepen and still run it

Picture on Facebook this morning of asplundh flipping a backyard altec off the trailer
34D4E404-2A48-47C6-85CB-8BC3AA5703B3.jpeg

Phil

No weld seam as far as I know.
This is crazy. I hope for a good recovery. We had the frame on a larger Morbark M18R chipper break just like this. The frame is tube steel and it broke very clean, and not near a seam or weld. The chipper has a lot more vibration during use than a lift, and also going over train tracks and pot holes may have weekend our machine. Whatever the reason, the material should be able to handle all of that. The frame was broken on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Jehinten

This is crazy. I hope for a good recovery. We had the frame on a larger Morbark M18R chipper break just like this. The frame is tube steel and it broke very clean, and not near a seam or weld. The chipper has a lot more vibration during use than a lift, and also going over train tracks and pot holes may have weekend our machine. Whatever the reason, the material should be able to handle all of that. The frame was broken on both sides.
That's crazy how it tears so straight. I almost wouldn't believe that's possible, other than the 3 examples in this post. I'm glad you noticed that before a complete failure going down the road.

Reactions: ATH

Roger_Barnett

Paul Didier posted about another boom failure, same machine. And Ben updated his post as a result:

Ben Maurer
shared a link.​

EDIT / UPDATE!: This is apparently NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT! After the manufacturer told us nothing like this has happened before, we were contacted by an independent tech/source saying this has happened before on this same model and he has found an alarming number of stress cracks on these types of machines in general. Upon closer inspection of the photo of the broken boom, the ram is still extended indicating it was not a hydro failure and the break to the boom is a clean line the entire “circumference” of the boom. This very well could be, and I believe it to be an indication of a failed weld. A weld that has failed on another machine in the past. Meaning they knew about it. They fucking knew. My friend is mangled in the hospital, his family is having the worst time of their lives, I’m having fucking panic attacks and not knowing if I can continue in my career and they fucking knew about this defect. I’m disgusted.
This is all hearsay and conjecture of course and I’m just venting. But it’s about to get very real. You all need to do what’s right for you, but I’m done with the lifts.

Gorman

I don’t think they will go out of business. There’s hundreds and hundreds of those lifts in operation in the us and maybe a few have had failures. I suspect the company will replace the boom on existing ones or maybe fishplate some steel.
Also, how they handle this will either reinforce or kill confidence in this company. It’s in their best interest to step up.

Phil

That's crazy how it tears so straight. I almost wouldn't believe that's possible, other than the 3 examples in this post. I'm glad you noticed that before a complete failure going down the road.
There is a much beefier center support on these machines that the pintle is actually bolted to which is why the chipper is still in a normal orientation. We have 5 of these chippers in our fleet. Inspection of the others led to discovery of cracks on at least one other unit.

Reach

Steel often seems to break/tear in a straight line like that. It seems odd, but steel does actually have somewhat of a “grain” due at least in part to the manufacturing process. If I recall correctly, hot rolled/formed steel has more of a grain than cold rolled/formed, but I may have that backwards. I do know for certain though that cold rolled steel is stronger than hot rolled.

On the breakage note too, we had a trailer frame break last summer, but it broke at a stress point, where I would expect it to if it were going to. I fixed it myself and reinforced it so that it won’t happen again; I do a bit of fabrication so the repair was simple but I was annoyed that it needed to be done. Not as annoyed though as I am glad that we found the breaks before the trailer buckled going down the road!

Attachments

• 77F17445-93A8-426B-B710-7BD8CC94C28B.jpeg
    77F17445-93A8-426B-B710-7BD8CC94C28B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 8412E909-69E3-4795-94D5-32B3CDE0E8E0.jpeg
    8412E909-69E3-4795-94D5-32B3CDE0E8E0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • CA0DA013-DBDA-44AA-848B-D381516C5829.jpeg
    CA0DA013-DBDA-44AA-848B-D381516C5829.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 42

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom