Aerial Rescue Challenge from Wesspur and the Ascension Group

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Man, maybe I take that back.
I recently noticed that the west coast doesn't have the same plethora of competitions that we do in the southeast. The states are big and a 20 hour drive might limit you guys to like 4 a year, and under 8 could mean just a couple (if you're lucky).
I wouldn't be offended if it was over there.
I'm just greedy and I have a phobia of California.

Jemco

That's funny!

Considering the dozens of east coast climbers that have come out here and taken one look at our hundred plus foot eucs, with an eye to prune them without gaffs, and gone back home, or became groundmen......

Come on out here n walk the walk lads!

Jemco

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
That's funny!

Considering the dozens of east coast climbers that have come out here and taken one look at our hundred plus foot eucs, with an eye to prune them without gaffs, and gone back home, or became groundmen......

Come on out here n walk the walk lads!

Jemco
It's not the trees. It's the lunatics. I'm afraid I'll be lynched for holding a door open for someone's grandmother or some other common courtesy.

The eucs can't be that different to move around from a 100' sycamore.

Jemco

I humbly suggest you come on out to the Bay Area n prune a big ole blue gum prior to talkin smack my friend.

We got Fort Braggin out cheer yu know......

Jemco

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I humbly suggest you come on out to the Bay Area n prune a big ole blue gum prior to talkin smack my friend.

We got Fort Braggin out cheer yu know......

Jemco
Getting humbled by some giants is definitely on my list. I just have to get this trainee closer to proper production levels or find someone who is before I take an extended trip. Maybe I'll be ready to float around there by next ARC.
The trash talking is all in good fun. I don't mind eating my words. I saw how smooth some guys were in the spar rescue. I know it would take me years to move like that.

This is definitely not the place for politics. ;)

speelyei

Staff member
Before this gets too sidetracked with geo-political who’s-trees-are-bigger tangents...

any plans to repeat this event again?

Burrapeg

Before this gets too sidetracked with geo-political who’s-trees-are-bigger tangents...
any plans to repeat this event again?
I live near WesSpur and will be in there next week. If Dave is there, I will ask him if he sees it as maybe an annual thing. If we have to get used to this second-rope stuff, some regular practice sessions would be beneficial.

speelyei

Staff member
Seems like I’m hearing more of this second rope discussion all the time. I figured it was from inter-industry comingling... SPRAT guys and Arborists chatting and comparing notes, some high-angle rescue influence...
I’m not on Facebook, but on podcasts, YouTube, etc., I feel like I’m hearing more “second ropes are coming” kind of talk.
Where is that coming from? Is it just an idea being bounced around and experimented with by a few Arborists, or is someone pushing to get changes made to the Z133?

Last edited:

Burrapeg

From what I understood at the event, there is some thought being given by various governing authorities, especially in the UK lately, to bring all commercial rope access up to the same safety standards as industrial, construction, and rescue rope access which is essentially a setup with something like an ASAP following the climber on a second rope from a second TIP. Of course, this would present a unique and considerable challenge for arborists because of the complexity of work positioning required in that trade and the relative difficulty of setting lines in a timely fashion. Much industrial climbing is basically simply up and down, without the need to move about a complicated canopy structure that is infinitely varied from tree to tree. So hopefully, input will be accepted from those affected by any intended changes. Everyone I spoke to at the event seemed to have slightly different opinions. There are others here on the Buzz who were there and perhaps closer to the issue than me. I was merely a spectator and am only a rec climber anyway. What industrial climbing I did in the Seventies was so Old School that it is almost laughable to look back on it. We did not even have the Blakes Hitch and decent rope. It was manila three strand and big clunky galvanized hardware. Safety was not even mentioned.