Search results

  1. chris_girard

    Hobbs device

    Since we have recently had a newer GRCS vs Hobbs H2 video posted here, I thought that I would do a bump on this thread and answer Jonny's question. Yes, if you put the trucker bar inside the ratchet bar and create a cheater (force multiplier), you can lift right around 4,000 lbs., one person...
  2. chris_girard

    Drop Test Picts

    Also, there's a hell of a lot of good info in this thread from the Legends out there, that we may not have heard from lately. I remember this post from way back.
  3. chris_girard

    Drop Test Picts

    Bump for this ancient thread that some of our younger members (who weren't even born), may not know about. Even though the drop tests weren't trying to prove which is better, a GRCS or Hobbs Lowering Device, it is still very interesting to watch. Mark makes an interesting comment about the...
  4. chris_girard

    Don Blair talks saddles, 1984

    My good friend and mentor Don Blair is indeed doing very well, and we stay constantly in touch with each other, sharing ideas and generally just chatting. Don is a very smart man and tends to stay off the tree care forum boards, though like a lot of us, he has recently in the last few years...
  5. chris_girard

    hobbs 2000 lowering device, questions..

    Just saw this thread. The GRCS has had extensive issues with the wrap jumping the spool during rapid lowering operations and this has happened to us so often that I sold our GRCS years ago and bought a Hobbs Lowering Device H2. There is no such thing as a hobbs 2000. We have never had a problem...
  6. chris_girard

    CTSP questions

    Just remember, the CTSP program will not tell you how to be a safe tree worker. Rather, it teaches you how you are to instruct workers by giving you the skills that allow you to educate others. It teaches you nothing about climbing, rigging or tree care. Many people don't know this about the...
  7. chris_girard

    The Bry-Dan Saddle

    Yup, I too have an original Bry-Dan and it's still awesome!
  8. chris_girard

    GRCS vs. Hobbs (great video)

    I so agree with rico on this. Hands down, the Hobbs Lowering Device is a beast and will never be replaced. I too own a GRCS, but it is only used for lifting pieces quickly. Also, when lowering pieces quickly with more than 1 wrap, it has a tendency to jump wraps and lock up, stopping you dead in...
  9. chris_girard

    R.I.P. Tim Ard

    Here's a nice short article that Tim Ard wrote a long time ago about how he got involved with the Game Of Logging and his mentor, the late, great Soren Eriksson. https://www.forestapps.com/articles/notchintime.html
  10. chris_girard

    Frozen mini skids

    Daily cleaning is the most important that we have found. Our Boxer from Morbark doesn't have a parking brake, so no worries there. We also keep a small to torch handy. We were working in -10 to -20 degree wind chills all last week.
  11. chris_girard

    R.I.P. Tim Ard

    I was never fortunate enough to have met Tim in person, though I followed his G.O.L techniques for many years. He had an online site for his Forestry Applications Training contained (and still does) tons of useful information. His Tim's Tips section should be read by every tree worker and logger...
  12. chris_girard

    How to Get Power from a Pulley

    I have been chatting and sharing with Kenny for over 22 years now here on TreeBuzz and I always enjoy his input and diagrams, but even though I have a degree in engineering and physics, I still need to usually read through his content more than once!
  13. chris_girard

    How to Get Power from a Pulley

    Yup, and there you have it. If you can understand the principles and 3 classes of the lever, then you can understand how a pulley/block can generate MA or simply act as a redirect. That is where I was headed when I posted this thread. I don't want to get involved with the...
  14. chris_girard

    How to Get Power from a Pulley

    Agree 100 %
  15. chris_girard

    How to Get Power from a Pulley

    That's a great book, Patrick. I have one of the newer ones but yours looks like a first edition. So, there are a lot of answers that have been listed here, but the one that I was looking for was provided to me years ago by the late Brion Toss, who said the answer to how you get power from a...
  16. chris_girard

    Making rope-historical

    Master and Commander! Great book and movie.
  17. chris_girard

    RIP Norm Hall

    Just doing some 3-strand splicing today and it brought back memories of my mentor Norm Hall. He taught me so much about splicing and rigging work and was also another 3-strand splicing enthusiast such as myself. He and the late Brion Toss are truly missed.
  18. chris_girard

    How to Get Power from a Pulley

    So, here's a question that I thought that I knew the answer to and found out that I was completely off base: How does a block-and-tackle provide mechanical advantage? That is, what mechanism is at work, such that you can pull on a rope with a certain amount of force at one end, and move a...
  19. chris_girard

    Does z133 {and/or any other industry regs} specifically require a face shields for ground saw operation?

    Here are the Z87 approved wire mesh goggles that I wear every day and the best thing about them is that they never fog up! https://www.wesspur.com/airspec-mesh-safety-goggles

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom