the polesaw

Blinky

[ QUOTE ]
Also moved up from a Fanno hand saw to a Silky Sugoi...loved it.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a difference, eh?

Grais

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also moved up from a Fanno hand saw to a Silky Sugoi...loved it.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a difference, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]\ Insane amopunt of difference a quality hand saw or pole saw per thread makes.
Like the other guys I just used what was handed to me, usually the cheapest corona, or fanno, money could buy, then my bro went to the saw shop and picked me up a Sugoi Silky, what a sweet saw that is, and I happen to love the nub on the handle, go figure ??
As to polesaws, same again, it is a real love hate thing going on. One thing I do love is out new Stihl pole saws, extends to I think 14 ft(or thereabouts??), and has made a lot of the saw work form the ground just so much easier. I would only consider hauling one up a tree in the most dire circumstance, they are heavy and unwieldy, and tend to make the climber unsafe, I think, using a new tool, heavy, hard to maneuver and the ability to lop a fair sized limb with just a buzz of the throttle, can spell trouble for the unaware.
Good luck with the pole saw reconciliation Jeff, I feel your pain brutha.
Stay safe gang,
-Grais.

PS: just a tip, try to occasionally clean your pole saw or handsaw blade, makes cutting easier. They make some stuff for just this task but, steel brush and some sort solvent will work just as well. Get all that sticky pitch and crud of the blade and she gets right slippery again. Also treat your blade with a bit of mineral oil when it is new or just cleaned, will make it real silky and smooth.

tarzanstree

Yes! Those things are sweet! Definitely money well spent. Kind of like going from a round filed chain to using one of my own chisel ground chains...no comparison...although I still do round file my chains when I am doing a tree job with a lot of dirty trees as it is quicker for me to touch up with a round file than a chisel file, or putting on a fresh ground chisel chain.

Cody

Axman

I am with you on that one Guy, telescoping pole saws are the way to go after you learn how to work with one.

Any feedback on the Jamesons telescoper with the new locking mechanism??? How does it compare to the old??? They have been out for awhile now and I would like to get one. I like my present Jameson only it can be a little aggrivating to work with at times because it doesn't lock down too good on the the first pull stroke and slips. That pole takes a light touch,a sharp blade and some finesse for it to work good but I prefer it over the sectional poles hands down.

I'd also like to get one of those telescopers with a Marvin pruner. Any feedback on those?? I think there would be quite a bit of flex in the middle if extended out full length. But when retracted or extended out part way it should work good. For those real fine cuts out on the tips I think this would be much better than trying to work with a sectional pole pruner.

Larry

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Years ago I bought a telescoping pole from Bartlett MFG, not part of Bartlett Tree. The fiberglass poles are thick enough not to flex too much when I put my Marvin around a piece of dead red oak. Too many of the other telescoping fiberglass poles flex with a slight pull. I'm afraid that I would snap the 'glass sections.

HÖLLENREICH

[ QUOTE ]
Sad to say...Jim and I did some field testing of the Silky pruner head...uh...save your money. Marvin is the ONLY pruner head for me :)

[/ QUOTE ]

you talking the pole clip version? If so Silky sucks sack you need to look imto the ARS pole that is the most strudy when it comes to pulling a string on it.

If not, saw wise, silky is the best on the market hand saw or pole wise.

guymayor

Best telescoping pruner is the Wolf-Garten Chip mentioned (yes that is his good side!) 7-14' very light, clean clip, and more durable than he gave it credit for--mine was run over but still works ok. Anvil head in this case superior. I never tried a Fiskars tho.

No Norwegians here heard of Ergo-Schnitt polesaws? My 9' (3 x 3) model fits in a suitcase, a big plus. ;)

tomthetreeman

I use a baby Zubat in the tree when I need it. It is 4.5 feet long and extends to 9'. I keep the scabbard on with a small bungee, and clip it to a small biner when using the saw.

I agree with the practice to climb until you can't, but realistically, a polesaw will become necessary sooner or later, no matter how nimble/light/skilled you are.

-Tom

TreeStuff

[ QUOTE ]
Jim and I did some field testing of the Silky pruner head...uh...save your money. Marvin is the ONLY pruner head for me :)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. No comparison. The new Silky Sintung is a Taiwanese aftermarket part. Cheaper springs etc. Not sure yet if it is worth the 50 some bucks. I'm not sure why Silky doesn't design one themselves and manufacture it to their usual high standards.

Like someone mentioned you can get a pruner adapter for ARS poles which will work with Marvin etc. But if you are a Silky pole fan you are kind of stuck right now.