Sam ascending 45' up mahogany in Barbados. 7 years old.

rico

Wow. You are a fucking legend. The more I know about you the more I like you.
I was ok on a skateboard in my day, but far from a legend. I was just lucky enough to come up around and be able to skate with both unknown and known pioneers and legends. We were all about skating on vertical or inverted planes. It was new. It was fresh. It was a way of life.. Love to see some vid of Sam shredding....

Mowerr

I was ok on a skateboard in my day, but far from a legend. I was just lucky enough to come up around and be able to skate with both unknown and known pioneers and legends. We were all about skating on vertical or inverted planes. It was new. It was fresh. It was a way of life.. Love to see some vid of Sam shredding....
Your talking like mid late 80s to early 90s? Yea where you are that was the golden age of skateboarding... For real like all the best were over your way

JeffGu

I was ok on a skateboard in my day...
The skateboards when I was a kid were primitive... like steam locomotives compared to the ones when my kids were 12 years old... and like stone wheels compared to the ones available now.

In '84 I had a cast on my leg that went up to my nutsack (a lovely sensation, I must say) and stayed with my ex for a couple of weeks when I got out of the hospital. One day I hobbled outside on crutches to have a smoke and the kids had left one of their high-dollar skateboards at the top of the driveway... I thought, I'll just run this bad boy down the driveway. Really, really stupid idea. I'm lucky I didn't end up with my entire ass in a cast, too. I couldn't believe how easily that thing rolled... like greased lightning compared to the crap I grew up with.

rico

Your talking like mid late 80s to early 90s? Yea where you are that was the golden age of skateboarding... For real like all the best were over your way
Were talking mid 70's to early 80's. The golden era.

Jemco

So this pic's circa 1982ish, of me at age 23ish, taken by my customer, at the spur of the moment, and kind enough to mail to me later.

Fortunately my teenage tradition of using steel chain lanyards when buzzin baggy fan palms, lasted a few decades.

The sequence of events was me reaching up and parting the lowest palm fronds, startling a mother pigeon, that flew out hitting me right between the eyes with its beak, startling me so bad, I did a backflip and found myself hanging upside down, my back against the tree, with my Super2 still in one hand, at the exact moment my client, an old lady snapped the pic, laughing with good humor, as I fumbled about clipping my saw back onto my harness, righting myself, and finishing the job, chipped baby pigeons n all.

More humane than feedin the neighborhood cats.

Jemco image.jpeg

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Will get one up on this thread soon. The park is modern and has a nice vert bowl. He is doing nice drop ins and smoothturns. Building his confidence. He eats and sleeps skating.

rico

Will get one up on this thread soon. The park is modern and has a nice vert bowl. He is doing nice drop ins and smoothturns. Building his confidence. He eats and sleeps skating.
Skating is one of the most free flowing and creative sports there is. The other activity that I enjoyed as much as skating was snow boarding. In fact when I met my wife she was just getting ready to leave California to go work on a chair lift in Telluride Colorado. We hung out for 2 days before she left, fell in love, and I ended up dropping everything to go with here. Spent the winter loading butts on a chair lift, and boarding on my days off. I was so unprepared for moving to Colorado that I spent the winter working without a jacket. Stood in the snow all day long wearing one of my old loggers sweaters, a beat up Thrashers baseball hat, and a pair of vans skate shoes. Froze my fucking ass off that winter. I would probably still be skating and boarding, but I am pretty sure that if I took a hard fall at my age I would seriously fuck myself up.

Burrapeg

Damn, I envy you guys! I spent my teen years, after school every day and in the summer, working in the family machine works and foundry. Started out sweeping the floors in junior high school and by high school was running the smaller engine lathes and mills. All my friends were having fun at the beach. The goddamn foundry was way over a hundred F inside during the summer. My Grandfather would not even pay me. He used to say, why should we pay you? Look at all this free training you are getting; and besides, this will all be yours someday. That was the last sodding thing I wanted to hear!

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Love it Sean. Will tell Sam. We are now living in isolation. Have 17 cases of corona on the island. Not easy right now.

Burrapeg

Love it Sean. Will tell Sam. We are now living in isolation. Have 17 cases of corona on the island. Not easy right now.
Hang in there, Swing, and keep in touch. It is spreading North from Seattle and we have it here on this island now too. Scary times. Went for a nice solo climb yesterday in the sun, however; and it was great to get away from the sodding computer and the news, and breathe some fresh air.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
We go into partial lockdown on Sat. We are now stage 3. 24 cases. Told they are very mild. My wife and I are officially unemployed. Very little money left. We will get through this. God is our keeper is my belief. We are all in this. Hang in there everyone.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom