Really get after it

Cereal_Killer

I bet that feels pretty good, to show up at a new job and crush. Trial by fire doesn't sound like the best hiring practice tho...unless its closely supervised like varsity try-outs.

Absolutely it did!

I would tend to agree, it could have especially bad consequences in tree work!
Having said that, the owner and I spoke extensively for several weeks before yesterday including him coming to one of my job sites so even though there wasn't ever a traditional sit-down interview he already knew regardless of my little industry-related work history I wasn't just BS'ing my way into a job and I could backup how I was selling myself.

Btw day 2 went great! Maybe I'll make my own thread end of the week, for now I gotta enjoy being home while it's still light out. Something I got very little of over the summer.

BoomBitch222

Decided to hijack boombitches thread--today was my first day at a primarily tree care company. I've been doing removals and storm cleanup on my own for about the past 18 months and moonlighting as the climber for a 2nd crew for my buddies company doing removals a few days a week but I finally decided to step up, leave my "fall back" day job and get on with a local company who concentrates on trimming / care over removals. Very different atmosphere then I'm use too but all the guys seem cool, all old school climbers, all on Ddrt, even saw one guy working on a Blake's hitch! They were pretty amazed when I setup SRT and walked up the rope. Had 'em dying right at first when they noticed me run my canopy cinch up to the top and the one guy came over to check out what was up and I said "oh shit I didn't mean to do that, how do I get it back down".

Today was trial by fire, first they had me drive the chip truck (towing the chipper) and then I was assigned to the largest tree on today's property, an 80-90' Ash with 2 dead tops and some general thinning. Nailed it.
Right on man, good shit!! Meanwhile Im just excited that I knew what all the words you used meant lmao Im still waiting for my company to get me my gear so I dont have to borrow someone elses to practice. Also still getting used to doing everything by procedure instead of just hammering shit out. Most days I feel like a caveman trying to fit into civilization lol

Crimsonking

Right on man, good shit!! Meanwhile Im just excited that I knew what all the words you used meant lmao Im still waiting for my company to get me my gear so I dont have to borrow someone elses to practice. Also still getting used to doing everything by procedure instead of just hammering shit out. Most days I feel like a caveman trying to fit into civilization lol
Even having been trained extensively by my first company, I found myself violating some Davey protocol almost daily when I worked there. Some were shop specific rules, granted, but yeah, it’s tough to keep track of all their p’s and q’s. To clarify, it was all liability culture minutia.

If you go by the book there, you will learn the safe way to do everything, so it’s a good foundation. What climbing setup are you getting?

A_Reittenbach

:LOL: Well that might take a bit, me getting good enough for competition I mean (or maybe both?). I got up there and did the thing but it was far from graceful. After watching my co-workers fly around up there I was not prepared for how tricky moving around would be lol How does the competitive thing go anyways? Is it a speed thing?
Time is only part of it, saftey, efficiency, fluent movement, style. It is an excellent place to learn from some of the most knowledgeable people around.

BoomBitch222

Even having been trained extensively by my first company, I found myself violating some Davey protocol almost daily when I worked there. Some were shop specific rules, granted, but yeah, it’s tough to keep track of all their p’s and q’s. To clarify, it was all liability culture minutia.

If you go by the book there, you will learn the safe way to do everything, so it’s a good foundation. What climbing setup are you getting?
All I know from overhearing them talk is that Im getting a Tree Motion saddle? Not sure the brand or type of climb line and then theres just micro pulleys, foot ascender, prussik. Basic setup I guess?

It is really rough sometimes, all the rules. Like if we want to flop a tree but need to set a rope and someone has to put on climb gear to go up to set it- jesus christ on a cracker just give me the rope and let me free climb it up! 10 yr olds do this!!!! Or forgetting we arent supposed to one hand a chainsaw while cleaning out locusts yesterday when the DM showed up, oops lol

BoomBitch222

Good move on the canopy tie comment. Just watch that they dont always make you do the biggest trees on the work order.

Haven't heard from BoomB in a while. Wonder how she is making it.
Slowly lol Its become very obvious that most of my exp is centered around taking a tree apart quickly with little concern for safety so most days Im just a straight up groundie that does the occasional pear shaping. And its rough, being that I was head of everything at my last company, fastest and the only one able to do everything to now being the least expd, slowest at everything. I leave work almost everyday feeling incompetent and shitty because Im just incredibly hard on myself, worrying that the other crew members are frustrated with me because of my social anxiety. But I just keep telling myself that it wont always be this way, that eventually all the watching how others do things and the here and there practice will add up.

Thanks for checking on me :)

CjM

All I know from overhearing them talk is that Im getting a Tree Motion saddle?
:cool: I wouldn't accept anything else, they're hooking you up with a proper seat.
It is really rough sometimes, all the rules. Like if we want to flop a tree but need to set a rope and someone has to put on climb gear to go up to set it- jesus christ on a cracker just give me the rope and let me free climb it up! 10 yr olds do this!!!! Or forgetting we arent supposed to one hand a chainsaw while cleaning out locusts yesterday when the DM showed up, oops lol
You're now on a pro crew. These aren't rules they're the way things are done professionally. Free climbing is what you do at the crag, using a rope for safe access is the job. Plus, they're giving you a $500 saddle, they'll be bummed if it's just laying in your bag.

And remember, that is a top handle saw, not a "one hander," your rotator cuff will thank you down the line, and you won't have a super lame left arm scar. There are no more exceptions for this as of 2017 Z133.

Slow is fast, and they way you do anything is the way you do everything.

Seems like you're in a good spot and have what it takes to stick it out for the long haul- I've seen too many good workers leave or get fired for thinking they knew better. Some day, when you're a veteran crew leader, you'll be finding yourself saying similar things to the new folk, and thinking back to this week in your career with empathy and a smile.

VenasNursery

:cool: I wouldn't accept anything else, they're hooking you up with a proper seat.

You're now on a pro crew. These aren't rules they're the way things are done professionally. Free climbing is what you do at the crag, using a rope for safe access is the job. Plus, they're giving you a $500 saddle, they'll be bummed if it's just laying in your bag.

And remember, that is a top handle saw, not a "one hander," your rotator cuff will thank you down the line, and you won't have a super lame left arm scar. There are no more exceptions for this as of 2017 Z133.

Seems like you're in a good spot and have what it takes to stick it out for the long haul- I've seen too many good workers leave or get fired for thinking they knew better. Some day, when you're a veteran crew leader, you'll be finding yourself saying similar things to the new folk, and thinking back to this week in your career with empathy and a smile.
All fine and dandy until you find out your safety coordinator that was telling you how to do crane work(never done tree work and just lost his laundromat business ) and just joined the Davey Team
I’m ALL FOR SAFETY but all of the big corps you’re just a another number

evo

Slowly lol Its become very obvious that most of my exp is centered around taking a tree apart quickly with little concern for safety so most days Im just a straight up groundie that does the occasional pear shaping. And its rough, being that I was head of everything at my last company, fastest and the only one able to do everything to now being the least expd, slowest at everything. I leave work almost everyday feeling incompetent and shitty because Im just incredibly hard on myself, worrying that the other crew members are frustrated with me because of my social anxiety. But I just keep telling myself that it wont always be this way, that eventually all the watching how others do things and the here and there practice will add up.

Thanks for checking on me :)
I’ve know a few women who really love the TM saddle, but they had a hard time with the TM light

CjM

All fine and dandy until you find out your safety coordinator that was telling you how to do crane work(never done tree work and just lost his laundromat business ) and just joined the Davey Team
That sounds like one specific instance, and I'm assuming you already knew your way around a crane?

At the bigger companies, each local office is different. Can't speak for Davey, but I worked for Bartlett for a time after the company I was working for was purchased. Top notch crew. Saw a full spectrum of Bartlett crews doing storm work with other offices, some were sketch, most were solid. Sounds to me like BoomBitch here has a good thing going, and at any rate it's a step up from where she was.

BoomBitch, I remember when I was just a brush dragger and felt like an idiot when clients would ask me about the job or some kind of tree biology question and I had to say I'm just the help. You'll be surprised how fast that practice adds up.

VenasNursery

That sounds like one specific instance, and I'm assuming you already knew your way around a crane?

At the bigger companies, each local office is different. Can't speak for Davey, but I worked for Bartlett for a time after the company I was working for was purchased. Top notch crew. Saw a full spectrum of Bartlett crews doing storm work with other offices, some were sketch, most were solid. Sounds to me like BoomBitch here has a good thing going, and at any rate it's a step up from where she was.

BoomBitch, I remember when I was just a brush dragger and felt like an idiot when clients would ask me about the job or some kind of tree biology question and I had to say I'm just the help. You'll be surprised how fast that practice adds up.
1 incident but that’s all it takes
I shouldn’t base all corps that way but it’s all about numbers bottom line
If your uncomfortable with something there is no understanding and nothing personal just business
But all the safety stuff is there for a reason and I preach and teach at least 95% of it

Crimsonking

I fully support the safe work practices. My beefs were things like “never tie a ladder on a trailer or truck”. If it didn’t fit in a chip box at the end of day, you were expected to go back for it.

From what I heard of other offices while at Davey, culture is shop to shop, but you will get some crazy corporate stuff, too. I know they’re trying to reform some of the outdated things, just waiting for certain people to retire so they can really make some moves in the right direction.

B_Strange

This is so true. I’m new to the field also and would say self educating is very important as well as asking questions at the right time.

once I got my own climbing set up I practiced on the weekends so I would be ready to go if the job allowed for a slow newbie to have a go.

Get The Tree Climbers Companion and Knots at. Work books and read em and re-read em. Practice knots. Stay safe. Have fun!

BoomBitch222

I fully support the safe work practices. My beefs were things like “never tie a ladder on a trailer or truck”. If it didn’t fit in a chip box at the end of day, you were expected to go back for it.

From what I heard of other offices while at Davey, culture is shop to shop, but you will get some crazy corporate stuff, too. I know they’re trying to reform some of the outdated things, just waiting for certain people to retire so they can really make some moves in the right direction.
Like not being allowed to say “crotch”? Its a BRANCH UNION! Lol Ive never heard anything about the ladders, thats pretty ridiculous. I dig most of the safety standards but sometimes its just silliness. Like I cant climb into a tree without a harness but I can stand on a roof and reach out with pole pruners to do clearance? What the hale

Shane Courville

this was a good thread on female saddles

BoomBitch222

Well to be honest no one follows the two hand rule unless the DM or safety guy are on site. Snap cuts are super useful for certain things but a person could go insane doing them for every branch.

Im glad I took the leap, even if the feeling of being the weakest link is agonizing. My nerves get me goin pretty bad, always afraid of screwing up but someday, you’re right, Ill look back and Im sure Ill be amazed at the distance from here to there :)

BoomBitch222

I think it depends on the hub. Seems like our DM really does care that we all get home safe each day. And the guys take most of it pretty seriously. But every company has a couple shit shows lol

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom