Modding Chainsaws

Roger_Barnett

Here's 2 videos of my ehp 5100, from when it was new. I just got a brand new 5100, so will shoot some videos. I'm sure it cuts 50% faster or better when modded--on muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWm-GFbAHMk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOXghfSb8sA

Hey Ed and Mike, That 3210 sounds like a runner! Yes, Ed, my ehp 192T is underwhelming when modded, but the 3210 is about 7 pounds, so noticably heavier than the 192 at 6.6, I'm sure, and 1/2 pound lighter than a 335/338, which, with only a muffler mod, will probably cut much faster. Did you do before after timed cuts with the 3210? I'm curious how a reed valve saw reacts to mods, versus a piston ported saw.

Even though the 192 isn't super fast, it's still plenty nice, as it about keeps up with a stock 200T if the wood is maybe 6 inches or so..which is all I use it for normally, as just a pruning saw. And that light weight is great!

Attachments

• 84980-LG1H1226.JPG
    84980-LG1H1226.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 125

andy_engelsk

Have done a basic port and polish on my 026 and what a difference! it has much more torque and no longer bogs down in the cut.
All i have done so far is ripp the guts out of the exhaust and enlarge the outlet to the size of the port, with the dremel i shaved about 3 mm all the way round the port and polished it up. then i only finely skimmed and polished the intake, then richened the carb by 1/4 turn.
Next stage would be the transfer ports and the intake, but i need to get a bit more confidence before tackling this.

Roger_Barnett

Bumping this old thread. It's now over 13 years later..and I'm into my 46th year in the trees, Semi-retired but not really.. I have had a lot of saws stolen like the EHP 5100S, a 372XP, which was ported to be near a race saw...and a stock Makita 6300 which had the 79 cc jug. One stolen saw that I really miss is the 056 Mag II, the biggest and baddest of the 045/056 series. Stock dual port muffler, paid $200 for it...

Anyhow, I just picked up a mint Husky 359 to supplement my ehp 357XP, which is getting long in the tooth I got it from City Climber after he retired, years ago now, , along with that ehp 372 and another sweet 372, also ported by Ed, which I still have, thankfully. Looking for a good west coast builder. Hoping the top shelf Cali faller and builder Jack (hotsaws 101 on YT) will agree to massage the 359!!

I'm guessing no one here knows anyone else...There is a guy near or in Newport Or that might do a saw for me. if I can remember how to find him

chiselbit

Bumping this old thread. It's now over 13 years later..and I'm into my 46th year in the trees, Semi-retired but not really.. I have had a lot of saws stolen like the EHP 5100S, a 372XP, which was ported to be near a race saw...and a stock Makita 6300 which had the 79 cc jug. One stolen saw that I really miss is the 056 Mag II, the biggest and baddest of the 045/056 series. Stock dual port muffler, paid $200 for it...

Anyhow, I just picked up a mint Husky 359 to supplement my ehp 357XP, which is getting long in the tooth I got it from City Climber after he retired, years ago now, , along with that ehp 372 and another sweet 372, also ported by Ed, which I still have, thankfully. Looking for a good west coast builder. Hoping the top shelf Cali faller and builder Jack (hotsaws 101 on YT) will agree to massage the 359!!

I'm guessing no one here knows anyone else...There is a guy near or in Newport Or that might do a saw for me. if I can remember how to find him
I have several saws that Jack built, they are all super strong running saws.

Grafted_In

Got my first ported saw a year ago. Hard to go back to stock. Muffler mod at least. Got a 390 from Gordy "West Coast Saw". He's building bigger saws only, mostly for timber fallers. 390, 395 and 461 n up. Woods port or fallers build. He's putting out his own dogs and muffler ports for purchase too. Great guy, good prices, super clean work.

Jehinten

I just ordered my first molded saw. 261 Mastermind work saw, up until now I've only runs stock other than muffler mod and advanced timing on a 193t. Looking forward to the new 261 and maybe some new saws in the future.

Jehinten

I just ordered my first molded saw. 261 Mastermind work saw, up until now I've only runs stock other than muffler mod and advanced timing on a 193t. Looking forward to the new 261 and maybe some new saws in the future.
So this saw has been delayed, but is supposed to be sent out in the mail this next week. On stock saws, I put them into normal use right away. Is this a good idea on a ported saw or should there be a break in period and if so what is suggested?

chiselbit

You can ask Randy, he’s pretty approachable. I run new saws that are adjustable just a little rich for a couple tanks then tune them to nice tan color on the spark arrestor screen. Auto tunes I just put them to work.

MooneyPilot

Porting has nothing to do with break in unless it was done on a new cylinder or if rings were replaced in the process.

Too bad you couldn’t have gotten a 241 to be ported. I have a ported 241. it is lighter and takes a narrow kerf chain, so it will cut with or even out cut a 261 with less weight. It‘s a regular Tasmanian Devil.

Jehinten

Porting has nothing to do with break in unless it was done on a new cylinder or if rings were replaced in the process.

Too bad you couldn’t have gotten a 241 to be ported. I have a ported 241. it is lighter and takes a narrow kerf chain, so it will cut with or even out cut a 261 with less weight. It‘s a regular Tasmanian Devil.
Its a brand new saw, straight from the dealer to the shop.

Jehinten

Just curious as I haven't used one before, but a ported 241 will out cut a ported 261?

As it is, this saw will be replacing a 10 year old 391, so I'm already saving 2lbs on the powerhead. Bit of a loss in cc as well, but I'm hoping the mod will help make up for some of that.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom