Maasdam Failure

dmonn

Personally, I've considered redirecting the puller back to the stump so I can cut/ wedge/ pull things myself. Who's better at it all, me or the groundman?
I can't believe I never thought of doing that. I work alone, and it's often a long walk around the danger zone to go from the tree I'm cutting to the rope puller to add some tension. Duh! "Work smarter, not harder". That also means I could leave the redirect within the danger zone--less than half the distance from the tree to where I've been setting up the rope puller.

Serf Life

I’m looking to buy a 5 to 1. Do you guys have any suggestions for a kit, or should I just buy the pieces individually?
Been down this rabbit hole for a while. Really depends on budget and how big you'll go. Decided on the cmi rp105d which can take 5/8 and mbs of 20k but is closer to $120 each. Been tickling the limits of the smaller ones and I don't like doing that. The kits look stupid expensive. Bearings are nice but added $ so depends on how smooth you want the system. Check out @oldfart videos for extra sweet ideas too.

Jonny

I’m looking to buy a 5 to 1. Do you guys have any suggestions for a kit, or should I just buy the pieces individually?
I’d like a pair of 2”sheave Rock Exotica Omniblock double pulleys. Price works out close to the same as those fiddle block sets or the Aztek Omniblock kits. The Aztek kits are for small rope I think 8mm, with the regular Omniblocks you can use 1/2” or smaller.

I have a Rock Exotica double PMP and a RE double mini machined pulley, I like waiting and watching for stuff to come up on eBay for nice prices. I’m partial to Rock Exotica stuff I guess. Works well enough but wish 1 or both had built in swivels sometimes.
D574D6AD-13B9-4A96-9FB4-569272F2B868.jpeg

Camp USA makes some double pulleys for around 40$ each if you’re looking to save cash too. Haven’t used them but they look nice and have decent reviews. https://www.moosejaw.com/product/camp-usa-dryad-double-pulley_10308560
Or spend 10$ more for the Pro version with bearings instead of bushings.

Ryan Keats

I'm thinking of getting two of these omni blocks:

Will connecting a prusik to the swivel via carabiner be an issue? thinking of getting 7/16" htp for the rope, or similar

JeffGu

You can connect the carabiner either to the Omni-Block's attachment device, or to its swivel eye... there is room for two or three carabiners, but keep in mind this will stop the pulley from being able to swivel around.

I assume you want to use a prusik for progress capture, like below?

OmniBlocks-progress-capture.jpg

Jonny

Isn’t the 90 degree corner on those for tending prusiks? Probably no difference, the cheek plates will scoot the prusik along just as well.

@Ryan Keats looks like a kick ass setup, I’ll likely get the same pulleys eventually. Like Jeff showed, they’ll take multiple biners. Also the swivel eyes are nice and rounded, cordage friendly so you could have one spliced right on a loopie or an eye. You gonna just leave them setup with the rope already in them? I use a lot of 1/2” rope for rigging, so I just put them on whatever rope I already got in the tree, but already put together with rope and stowed in a bag sounds nice and fast too.

The Aztek kit looks so sweet and I believe there’s a built in cam for progress capture on one or both pulleys but I just can’t justify that kinda cash on something that maxes out with 8 or 9 mm cordage.

JeffGu

Isn’t the 90 degree corner on those for tending prusiks?
Yes, it is... and it helps... I had some of the OmniBlocks out, down in the basement, and just slapped a prusik cord on there to snap a pic. Wasn't even thinking about it. Works better if you use the 90* corner for the load side.

Ryan Keats

Sorry guys not entirely following what you mean by the 90 degree corner for tending prusiks.

What do you think about Htp? That good enough?

Jonny

Look at Jeff’s pic, when looking at the Orange side of the Omnis on the lower left of them is a corner, it’s there for prusik tending but not really necessary. I don’t think they put it on the 1.5” ones.
Sure HTP should work fine.

JeffGu

Yeah, the 2.0 and 2.6 have them, but not the smaller 1.5 ones. All 3 of those are in the pic.
I rather like using kernmantles for mechanical advantage setups. Lots of strength in small sizes, and the stiffness under load isn't a problem. Also, very static. Don't want to spend half your energy just pulling rope stretch.

Jonny

Yeah I use 1/2” 12 strand a lot, can keep pulling the stretch out for a while. I just already own a lot of 12 and 16 strand 1/2” so I wanna use it up.

That 3/8” stable braid sounds nice for this purpose though. I’m sure HTP won’t disappoint either.

JeffGu

MAPC-Omni1.jpg

Also, when doing this, the eyes of the prusik will rub on the rigging rope. That's not a good thing. An easy fix is to buy a pack of regular garden hose washers at the dollar store and use about six of them between the eyes of the prusik cord on the carabiner. The rope will rub on them, instead of the eyes, and they just spin.

MAPC-Omni.jpg

Ryan Keats

Oh I got it, thanks guys.

What do you guys think of making Tom Hoffman's urig system? Better, worse or the same as two omni blocks? I like the fact that the prusiks and rope don't rub on each other in the u-rig system.

Rob Stafari

An old timer I know has been through quite a few maasdam and older unknown manufacturer rope pullers like that. They definitely have their limitations. I've seen the broken teeth and the bent handle. The continuous run of the rope is nice, but the 1500 lb capacity is a serious consideration. I am a pulley guy myself, but have a maasdam in the truck I might use some day.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom