Lost this bid

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
Did you ever consider the possibility maybe the customer couldn’t afford to have it done properly so they told the company “just clear it back such and such” or “leave the trunk standing” even though it clearly isn’t the way to prune and is an eye sore.

Bashing other companies can make you look like the asshole.
Not sure which example your referring to, or maybe your comment is just in general, I've certainly done clearance trimming but with proper cuts and a chance for normal growth. I have also done 2 part removals where the trunk is left standing on a large removal but I make a plan with the homeowner to come back and remove the trunk once finances have replenished.

Honestly the 2 part typically ends up being a hassle and I may quit offering it. One in particular that's happening right now, I took out a large spreading oak last spring except for the 40" diameter trunk about 35' tall. Homeowner wanted me to reach out once work slowed down in the winter to complete the removal. I reached out 3 times with no response while the ground was hard and frozen. Now that we're getting spring rains and the ground has thawed he's in a hurry to get the rest of it down. It happens to be next to a septic tank and field bed, so it'll likely be wet until mid summer at this point.

Jehinten

I was just more so saying I’ve heard of homeowners before saying to only cut half a branch and leave a stick as a stub, or leave a trunk standing in order to save some money.

I also was just saying, in my honest opinion I think avoiding saying anything about other companies to homeowners makes you look more professional, because if you said “oh they shouldn’t have done such and such” somebody could interpret that as you just bashing other people to try and get a job.

I’m not saying you or anyone here is doing that, I was just making reference to whatever was said about being tempted to ask homeowner who did it.

I personally try to avoid any discussion about other companies to homeowners.

Just my opinion
I agree with that and try to avoid mentioning other companies as well, unless as a referral. I've had customers ask me about other companies or mention that X company worked for them before. It's definitely a time for vague statements and weasel words.

You get one or two "tree topping" companies working a neighborhood and it will look like hell!...and then when all the sprouts come out the owners say "look, the tree is fine"

Al_trees

Saying Company X sucks is one thing.

Saying what was done goes completely against tree biology, the industry knowledge base, and ANSI standards is different.
Absolutely. You are right on. This as an older thread but still a valuable teaching tool. If you say the other contractor is garbage that doesn't mean too much to someone who "thinks" you only care about being paid at the end of the day.
A factual explanation goes a long way and you come off gleaming as the professional. I can't tell you how many times over the years a potential customer has hired someone else to save a buck and then called me a couple years later to hire me for a job that costs twice as much.

I will add though I don't go out of my way to explain how other company "x" did a shitty job and to call me in the future. They already know that because of an unhappy experience and all their friends noticed too.

dmonn

Participating member
Around here, with all the dead ash trees, I sometimes see them "topped" "out back" to leave as a snag for wildlife. I even left a 20 ft stem to use as a trellis for a flowering vine my wife planted at the base. Nothing nearby to get damaged when it eventually falls over. I figure it'll last 3-5 years where it is, and look pretty cool when the vine covers it.

oldoakman

Been here a while
This was a Cit tree topped so the sign could be seen. The owner will be in court next week. The City is seeking $10,000 restitution in addition to the normal fine. DBH is 12-14 inches. Yeah, it gets old and frustrating. I have a flat spot on my forehead from banging against a solid object.

Attachments

• 20201111_092245.jpg
    20201111_092245.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

climbingmonkey24

Branched out member
This was a Cit tree topped so the sign could be seen. The owner will be in court next week. The City is seeking $10,000 restitution in addition to the normal fine. DBH is 12-14 inches. Yeah, it gets old and frustrating. I have a flat spot on my forehead from banging against a solid object.

While on the topic in that situation where a town sues for damage or unauthorized work performed on a city tree is the owner of the company or the customer who is held liable? Anyone know?

Last edited:

oldoakman

Been here a while
In this particular situation and with the way our tree ordinance is written, I cab cite the person/company doing the work if I catch them in the act or if I have a witness that will testify to it. In this case I can also cite the property owner which is what I have done because they "Caused" the action to happen by hiring the person/company to do the work. They were also cited because the reason for the cutting was to open a view to a sign which is specifically not allowed in our ordinance. The cutters in this case where fly by nights looking for beer money. They are in the wind somewhere. Court is next Wednesday.

Jehinten

I’m not worried about loosing the bid, I lose plenty of them with as many licensed and many more unlicensed tree services in my area. Buuuuut, I look over from a job that I did win to see this property that I had bid. 3 trees in total the highest priority was the large oak tree with several large dead limbs then two smaller trees with very minimal dead limbs. Maybe 2-3 max of 2” diameter limbs per tree. I submitted a quote with the specs that we would do a more thorough inspection of the smaller trees as the dense canopies made it hard to guarantee that there were no other dead limbs.

The oak now has 10’ stubs that have no branch growth at all on them and the smaller tree closest to the house has almost every limb under 4” diameter cut off. The 3rd tree wasn’t trimmed near as drastically, making me wonder what happened with the other two trees, particularly the second tree.

I don’t usually bash other companies but I was tempted to knock on their door just to see who had completed the work.

Just wanted to complain:D Feel free to inform me if this is some cutting edge pruning technique that I am not aware of, or post pics of similar circumstances that you’ve seen.
Oddly enough I was sent these pictures today of a tree just around the corner from the trees in my original post. I'm not sure who was involved, but the tree was felled across the street and directly on top of a parked car.

Attachments

• IMG_5457.jpg
    IMG_5457.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5473.jpg
    IMG_5473.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 82

Jehinten

Bullseye! (If you were aiming for the car.) Funny how their truck isn't parked close enough to be in view.
Thats because their truck was parked halfway down the block with the doors open and the motor running... The ultimate liability insurance policy...
Haha. Yea, I don't know what exactly was going on during this job, maybe dismantling was taking too long so they switched to felling before the top was completely out?

In the first pic you can see the two pull ropes are under tension and are set quite a bit too low for a decent pull. The blue rope is set at a good height (although I wouldn't pull on the front half of the canopy) but it was left slack while felling.

rico

Been here a while
Haha. Yea, I don't know what exactly was going on during this job, maybe dismantling was taking too long so they switched to felling before the top was completely out?

In the first pic you can see the two pull ropes are under tension and are set quite a bit too low for a decent pull. The blue rope is set at a good height (although I wouldn't pull on the front half of the canopy) but it was left slack while felling.
Just noticed your avatar Jehinten.. Have you sent a pic to August? Think he would get a real kick out of it....

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
That sounds like a good guess. Pretty common to see shortcuts taken when someone is trying to make up for under bidding a job. And not just for tree work. I've bid jobs too low before, but that's on me. Just took it as a learning experience without sacrificing quality or safety.

Jehinten

Lost his tree 65-75 degrees sideways..Did this fool cut all his hinge? Me thinks so....
A hinge! We don't need no bloody hinge! Lol

I swung by while I was out today and snapped a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210417-132745_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417-132745_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20210417-132756_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417-132756_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20210417-132814_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417-132814_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom