Lost this bid

Jehinten

I’m not worried about loosing the bid, I lose plenty of them with as many licensed and many more unlicensed tree services in my area. Buuuuut, I look over from a job that I did win to see this property that I had bid. 3 trees in total the highest priority was the large oak tree with several large dead limbs then two smaller trees with very minimal dead limbs. Maybe 2-3 max of 2” diameter limbs per tree. I submitted a quote with the specs that we would do a more thorough inspection of the smaller trees as the dense canopies made it hard to guarantee that there were no other dead limbs.

The oak now has 10’ stubs that have no branch growth at all on them and the smaller tree closest to the house has almost every limb under 4” diameter cut off. The 3rd tree wasn’t trimmed near as drastically, making me wonder what happened with the other two trees, particularly the second tree.

I don’t usually bash other companies but I was tempted to knock on their door just to see who had completed the work.

Just wanted to complain:D Feel free to inform me if this is some cutting edge pruning technique that I am not aware of, or post pics of similar circumstances that you’ve seen.

Attachments

• 20201121_101233.jpg
    20201121_101233.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 226

Jehinten

Not the best view, but here is a Google street view that shows how they looked before

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201123-064056_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20201123-064056_Maps.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 89

colb

I’m not worried about loosing the bid, I lose plenty of them with as many licensed and many more unlicensed tree services in my area. Buuuuut, I look over from a job that I did win to see this property that I had bid. 3 trees in total the highest priority was the large oak tree with several large dead limbs then two smaller trees with very minimal dead limbs. Maybe 2-3 max of 2” diameter limbs per tree. I submitted a quote with the specs that we would do a more thorough inspection of the smaller trees as the dense canopies made it hard to guarantee that there were no other dead limbs.

The oak now has 10’ stubs that have no branch growth at all on them and the smaller tree closest to the house has almost every limb under 4” diameter cut off. The 3rd tree wasn’t trimmed near as drastically, making me wonder what happened with the other two trees, particularly the second tree.

I don’t usually bash other companies but I was tempted to knock on their door just to see who had completed the work.

Just wanted to complain:D Feel free to inform me if this is some cutting edge pruning technique that I am not aware of, or post pics of similar circumstances that you’ve seen.
The one on the left is a trident fukinaoshi. :LOL:

HigherGroundArborist

We work hard to educate our potential clients when it comes to pruning. We do A LOT of pruning in the Spring, Fall and Winter. Whenever we quote pruning work we specify that all pruning will be done to industry standards, and we urge the clients to only seek bids from certified arborists and explain to them why.

Reach

This was the story of my life for years where I used to live. Since relocating in 2013, I haven't had to give the "topping is bad" talk and I'm very grateful for that!
Must be nice! I seem to give that speech at least once a week around here, and I know after I give it, the guy will go and call one of the other local “tree services” who will just chop and jack away quite happily.

Fivepoints

Probably over half of our 'competition' advertises topping as one of their services. It gets really old having to explain how bad topping is for the health of the tree. Some people want it done, consequences be damned. I've literally walked way from several of these folks and hopped in the truck to leave. A lot of times, refusing to do it even of it costs you a job, makes folks take notice.

chiselbit

Must be nice! I seem to give that speech at least once a week around here, and I know after I give it, the guy will go and call one of the other local “tree services” who will just chop and jack away quite happily.
That’s what it’s like here. The customer feels cheated if they don’t get a big pile of firewood out of every prune. Even some of the ones that I convince to not mutilate their trees call me back year after year and want a “little more” off it. I walk away from lots of jobs and there’s always plenty of hacks ready to step in who have no qualms about removing 24” limbs or like the op’s pic, just randomly making sawdust.

southsoundtree

Probably over half of our 'competition' advertises topping as one of their services. It gets really old having to explain how bad topping is for the health of the tree. Some people want it done, consequences be damned. I've literally walked way from several of these folks and hopped in the truck to leave. A lot of times, refusing to do it even of it costs you a job, makes folks take notice.
When asked about topping, it gives me opportunity to offer other services, such as windshield smashing, roof hole installation, 60 grit sandpaper car washing, and then ask if they want to pay me for any other irreparable damage to their valuable assets.

arborandearth

Oh Gawwwwd...lol. I know exactly what happened...they underbid, had no clue how to prune, first one took way too long because they decimated it, and they actually did the last 2 a service because they wanted to get out of there. Every once in a while, they get what they pay for.

Jehinten

Drove past another fine example of great pruning today. I never saw the "before" tree, but safe to say that they didn't do it any favors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331-214706_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210331-214706_Gallery.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 40

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom