Does testing rope strength weaken it?

Woodwork

Thanks for your reply, JeffGu. I was hoping you would weigh in on this since you were so helpful on my "Roof Job" thread. I ended up making four roof anchors like those you mentioned in that thread...would like to figure out a way to leave them up there for future work, in fact...

Bart_

To the original title/question: loading a rope to its breaking strength constitutes the one cycle to failure data point. Running 10 or 20x less than that load turns the rope into "huge number of cycles before any possibility of failure". So depending on the rope's history, you are dipping into its unknown durability reservoir by doing the test. Per an earlier post, a sort of statistical sample can occur by break testing a sample off perhaps one end of the rope. So, short answer, yes, strength testing the rope does cause damage by using up some of the cycles to failure, worsened by how hard you test the rope.

take care

Last edited:

Woodwork

Thank you, Bart. Exactly what I was looking for.
(Unfortunately, the parts of the rope I'm concerned about are in the middle, rather than the ends, so I'd probably need to cut the rope in half, then cut the end off one of those halves for testing.)
Jeff

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom