Advice please! Haulotte 5533a (Should I buy?)

Anonymity

When I crunch all the numbers, engine repairs, boom certifications, annual truck safeties, fuel costs (the list is very long). It seems much, much better to look at some of these towables. Even if I need to get one that goes on a trailer.

Btw, thanks everyone for your comments regarding atv, I think generally it’s a bad plan! Thanks for your help

Jehinten

Bad idea on the atv. Just to easy for it to get away from you.

Why not an under cdl bucket truck if worried about cdl?
My 4 wheeler would laugh at me if I tried to tow a 50' lift with it. A mini however tows with no problem and can make a tow behind do zero degree turning.

However if I were buying I think I'd lean towards the under cdl truck vs a tow behind

Anonymity

Most are technically 55' with 60' work height. There is quite a large selection of these trucks in both rear mount and mid mount with chip boxes.

Cdl, what would I search under (what is there common name) to look at trucks like that. And is cdl an American standard or Canadian? Or both, I know there are different weight classes here in Canada, but are you sure the weight restrictions are the same in the different countries?

Fivepoints

Cdl, what would I search under (what is there common name) to look at trucks like that. And is cdl an American standard or Canadian? Or both, I know there are different weight classes here in Canada, but are you sure the weight restrictions are the same in the different countries?
I didnt notice you were in Canada. I would still go bucket truck or crawler lift. I own a 60 ft bucket truck. Mine is a cdl truck but I have other trucks that there's no under cdl version possible.

southsoundtree

Air brakes below 26,001 make a truck require a CDL, I believe.

I heard a local independent tester had a 1 ton with air brakes, or some smaller end truck, available to rent for the test.

Reach

Air brakes below 26,001 make a truck require a CDL, I believe.

I heard a local independent tester had a 1 ton with air brakes, or some smaller end truck, available to rent for the test.
On a truck 26k or below, in the US, air brakes make no difference. A CDL is not required, nor is an air brake endorsement required - it’s not even available for sub-CDL trucks. We researched this pretty thoroughly before we bought our first F650 with air brakes, to make sure we would not have any problems.

Anonymity

I think some of the rules are different between the countries.

Anyway, the main reason I’m not that interested in bucket trucks is basically because a 60-80 foot bucket truck with all the operating costs. Large tires, brakes, licensing, safeties, boom certifications, engine maintenance, fuel, etc. Would be more expensive to operate (MEETING PROPER SAFTY STANDARDS, not just some rusty old death trap bucket truck) than many comparable lifts.

southsoundtree

Looks like you're correct.

How would a regular driver be trained/ tested to deal with air brakes?
Strangely, a cdl license- holder can be restricted from an air-brake equipped CDL truck, but a regular license holder can drive a non-CDL
With air brakes.

Strange like how a smaller truck, staying under 26,001 can tow a 10,001+ pound trailer doesn't need a CDL.

Laws don't have to be sensible to be laws.

VenasNursery

On a truck 26k or below, in the US, air brakes make no difference. A CDL is not required, nor is an air brake endorsement required - it’s not even available for sub-CDL trucks. We researched this pretty thoroughly before we bought our first F650 with air brakes, to make sure we would not have any problems.
As far as I know if you don’t have a “Class A” cdl you have to have an “air brake” endorsement to operate air brake vehicles

I have a class a cdl with chauffeur, farm, and air endorsements

Reach

Looks like you're correct.

How would a regular driver be trained/ tested to deal with air brakes?
Strangely, a cdl license- holder can be restricted from an air-brake equipped CDL truck, but a regular license holder can drive a non-CDL
With air brakes.

Strange like how a smaller truck, staying under 26,001 can tow a 10,001+ pound trailer doesn't need a CDL.

Laws don't have to be sensible to be laws.
I don’t understand that one either, as air brakes are just as complicated on sub-CDL trucks as the are on the bigger trucks. We require our drivers to read the air brake section of the CDL manual or have previous air brake experience, and prove they actually know what to do with air brakes before we are putting them behind the wheel of a truck that size.

PA laws really don’t make sense. We have one law on the books that makes nearly every car in the state illegal:

1. “Automobiles traveling on country roads at night must send up a rocket every mile, then wait ten minutes for the road to clear of livestock.”

2. “If a driver sees a team of horses, he is to pull to one side of the road and cover his machine with a blanket or dust cover that has been painted to blend into the scenery.”

flushcut

It amazes me that laws like that are on the books. I would also be willing to bet you would be arrested if you shot rockets off every mile.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom