Looking at getting my first hand ascender. I like the look of the simple ones like the Petzl Basic and the Climbing Technology Simple, but I am worried they won't be as ergonomic as an actual handled ascender. That being said, I'm sure they would still be easier on my forearms than just gripping...
I just realized that yesterday and it broke my brain. Not sure why I interpreted the instructions the way I did. I tried picking the strands the way you mentioned and it worked perfectly.
I've seen Stockton and Foresman's. They were both super helpful. Haven't seen Poplar Mechanic's yet, but will check it out for sure.
Stockton is a Teufelberger ambassador, so I assume he is certified to do at least that splice. I don't know much if anything about Foresman and Poplar Mechanic...
Rookie splicer here. I've been making eyes of various sizes for practice. I've been working with 3/8" and 9/16" stable braid, and 1/2" Nystron. Just realized I have been doing my tapers wrong.
I've been pulling and cutting every 5th strand in the cover, rather than 4th and 5th. So I tried the...
What is the standard size dead eye for something like a block and how is it measured? I've heard some people say 10", is that the inner diameter, or circumfrence?
Got a bag of rope recently with 4, 30' hanks of HTP. Was hoping to practice splicing, but I don't think you can splice HTP. Any clever uses anyone can think of besides a new lanyard?
Any akimbo users out there (production Rock Exotica versions), do you find that you need to switch friction settings when you switch from SRS to MRS on the same rope? I'm thinking about crane work.
I have both. The footie is a very good product. Personally, for me, I didn't love the spring, which seems really freaking strong. That being said, I will still take it over the Pantin I had, which had the opposite problem of a weak spring.
The biggest downside to the Footie I found was it...
Still new to splicing, but would like to send some of my splices to a lab to break them and see how they did before I feel confident using them for climbing and rigging. Anyone know of any such labs in the greater Philadelphia area, or near the east coast in General?
I'm really in the early stages of thinking about it, and have no commitments so far. Still weighing the pros and cons of stepping out on my own. I don't think I will ever want to run a big company, nor will I want to stray too far from production until I need to/can't physically do the work...
Wondering if there is anyone out there who tried to go out on their own, either as a contract climber, or starting their own tree service who ended up regretting it? Or any words of caution for someone entertaining the thought?