Search results

  1. chris_girard

    Scissors

    What do you guys/gals consider the best scissors out there for splicing, especially for HMPE/Dyneema line
  2. chris_girard

    GRCS Winch

    I lift regularly too, just not as much as we lower, so like I said buy a Hobbs H2, the most overlooked lowering device out there, yet the very best and first invented in the 1970's. Everyone else's is just a copy in one form or another.
  3. chris_girard

    GRCS Winch

    I have a solution to all this...buy a Hobbs H-2 Lowering Device and you'll never have to worry about wraps jumping and use a GRCS when you have a lot of lifting to do, which let's be honest, isn't really that much.
  4. chris_girard

    Climbing in open air /dead space

    Exactly!
  5. chris_girard

    GRCS Winch

    I will always be a HOBBS guy, but I am smart enough to know when there is something better out there for lifting material quicker than my H2
  6. chris_girard

    GRCS Winch

    I have never run it without using the pigtail
  7. chris_girard

    GRCS Winch

    Thanks for the info Muggs. I have always harped on my guys to run whatever lowering device they are using with a fairlead, so I know that it's not a fairlead issue. David Driver (X-MAN) used to have the same problem with the old GRCS model. I wonder if that is why Greg switched to a different...
  8. chris_girard

    Is this a green ash?

    I'm 99% sure that it's Green Ash
  9. chris_girard

    Maine climber killed in accident

    Agreed
  10. chris_girard

    Maine climber killed in accident

    Guilty has already almost killed himself and is another accident waiting to happen. You would think after his friend Jed was killed last year, he would be a little smarter, but not with the shit that I have seen him post. Reg, is a true pro and continues to impress me with his work.
  11. chris_girard

    GRCS Winch

    I had one of the original GRCS models from many years ago and the winch always jump wraps whenever I had more than 1 turn on it and locked up on us, whenever we tried to let pieces run. Does this happen with the newer models? What Harkin winch does the newer models use?
  12. chris_girard

    Saw preference?

    My favorite crane saw is a woods ported Stihl 362 with either 20" or 24" bar.
  13. chris_girard

    Lightning Threshold

    Same here Steve.
  14. chris_girard

    This is rigging!

    Yeah, with no gear reduction on the Hobbs, I kind of thought that the torque was going to be an issue.
  15. chris_girard

    Petzl guideline on choked carabiner anchor for spar work

    I demoed it for a week for TCIA a few years back and honestly wasn't impressed and I'm a big Petzl fan.
  16. chris_girard

    This is rigging!

    I'll be curious to see how much weight you can lift with the torquing of the drill. Keep us posted, thanks.
  17. chris_girard

    Petzl guideline on choked carabiner anchor for spar work

    I contacted Petzl last year about the change, and they had no idea why someone in the technical department changed it to the Petzl "Ejaculation" device which I found kind of weird? Petzl still shows the Zillion in a biner choked configuration. I choke my spar trees daily with a biner, Zigzag...
  18. chris_girard

    rip cuts to reduce rigging forces

    Hi Evo, we already tried that trick in the past and still had issues. X-Man (David Driver) has the same issue with his and has a way to mitigate it, but he also has a Hobbs. I think that Greg uses a newer version of the Harken Winch, so maybe there is no longer any "jumping" issues. Other than...
  19. chris_girard

    rip cuts to reduce rigging forces

    The majority of tree work is lowering pieces rather than lifting them. This is where the Hobbs outshines all other lowering devices, and it never jumps wraps the way the GRCS does (at least the older models like I had used to always jump).
  20. chris_girard

    Ziplining logs

    Thanks Tom, that's exactly what I was looking for. I remember this thread from years ago and was impressed with Eli's rigging.

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom