SCAM 3:1 MA and Remotely Retrievable Redirect

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by FreeFallin, Oct 21, 2017.

1. rope-a-dope

rope-a-dope Well-Known Member

The bight with biner works great on the dmmhitch climber, but the wrench must come off. The quickie worked flawlessly the one time I scammed it so far. The bights just spilled right off the redi-branch.

SomethingWitty and FreeFallin like this.
  2. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

I have used removable pin shackles outside of tree work quite a bit, but have not gotten to play with the quickie yet. It looks like it would work just fine, like I said above it takes a lot of unloaded violent shaking to get a carabiner to rotate in the SCAM knot, so I would expect the quickie to be the same way. There would likely be some friction increase from the rotating pin compared to a pulley, but still better than a carabiner.

3. Acerxharlowii

Acerxharlowii Member

I just tried it with petzl z and RR at home and it was pretty smooth

FreeFallin likes this.
  4. Acerxharlowii

Acerxharlowii Member

Going to try it tomorrow in the field I'll let you all now

FreeFallin likes this.
  5. FreeFallin

This is great to hear, thanks for the post back!

Let us know how it goes today.

6. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying this as a redirect. The one difficulty I have with dragging a bight with me is it is just that, a drag. I have been playing with ways to decrease the friction. Here is one idea I had.
    I know you said not to use a revolver;), but...
    Now I only have a wire gate revolver, but if you have a hydra on your bridge you can run the bight on the little pulley and it makes a huge difference. I was running the rope through both the carabiner and the revolver to add the security, but I really like separating the bight from running against the multiscender. So I might have to get a locking revolver if it will fit in the hydra. I used a xsre mini carabiner to tighten up the tending while advancing up the line. It worked pretty well, but I feel like it is getting away from being as simple as 'a single carabiner'...
    IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

PS. This was a really ugly pin oak tree that the client only was interested in having reduction pruning on a few upper branches that were over the neighbors property...they took care of the lower limbs earlier.

deevo and FreeFallin like this.
  7. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

Here is a quick video of it working.

8. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Well-Known Member

Yeah, just tried this same thing in a big cedar in my back yard. Two Petzl Z Roller Biners, one on top, and one on bottom in the third hole of a Paw on my bridge. BDB in opposite outside hole on the paw, to keep the bight away from the Bone. Just got those Z Rollers the other day, love them! But man it is dangerous to walk into WesSpur with a VISA card. All those goodies! Say, what are we going to call a twin-biner SCAM? I can't think of anything. And SCAM sounded pretty cool. cheers, Stew

FreeFallin, evo and John_KAYS like this.
  9. FreeFallin

Wow, this is really cool to see it in action with the bone!

I like the lower pulley, I tried it with adding a micro pulley onto my primary biner and it was really smooth but a little slower disconnecting, I didn't like the way it clanged around on my multicender, and you know how I am about dropping things :whistle:.

At first I thought you putting the bight on another hole in the hydra would mess up the tending but as long as you pull from below it seems fine.

I like the little biner to keep things lined up nice, the shackle on the pre-production Akimbo is oriented horizontally so it might not work as well. I am going to give the revolver another shot in this configuration and see how it does.

Great testing, and thanks for filming it!

Acerxharlowii and John_KAYS like this.
  10. FreeFallin

I am so glad there is no arborist supply near me or I would go broke, and the folks at REI just put their nose in the air when I mention tree climbing :endesacuerdo:

Dual Z's! That is a crazy cool setup, but it does blow my acronym away... unless that configuration becomes the
    Sheave Carabiner Access Method :bailando:

John_KAYS likes this.
  11. Burrapeg

That works for me! SCAM is simply too cool an acronym to lose. Wasn't there some old song about Bringing in the Sheaves?

- Stew

John_KAYS and FreeFallin like this.
  12. Freddie Fisher

Freddie Fisher New Member

As a non American I can't help but chuckle at the need for an acronym when naming just about anything!

13. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm working on a Better Underwater Testing Thingy... gee, I wonder what I should call it?

FreeFallin likes this.
  14. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Maybe I should combine it with my Hydraulic Engineering Applications Device...

hseII and FreeFallin like this.
  15. Burrapeg

Yeah, kinda weird. The Brits are into that pretty heavily too, especially the government and military. I live Stateside but my family is from Lincolnshire. I was a student volunteer with an archaeological team in London for a while in the early 70's and finally got promoted to Archeaological Survey Supervisor.

Wesley Full, dsptech and FreeFallin like this.
  16. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

What I like the most about the scam is the single and retrievable carabiner use. With an easy on-and-off-the-rope tool like the Akimbo or BDB, it works better for me to run with the tool on the static leg of the bight, like a more typical haul-back system. This makes it very smooth and easy to tend with no extra carabiners. However, it does require removal of the tool from the line for retrieving the carabiner, but since you need to lanyard in anyway and you can't drop either tool by just removing the rope, this works for me.

John_KAYS likes this.
  17. FreeFallin

Interesting, so are you saying that you essentially setup a SCAM, and then transfer your multicender onto the bight you pulled through, and then transfer it back to the tail leg to release the SCAM?

I am assuming you clip your tail into an auxiliary carabiner somewhere so you don't lose it.

18. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

No, I set the RollClip Z on the line as you show but with just one leg of the bight through the carabiner all while leaving my Akimbo on the line. I then take the tail from under the Akimbo and also pass it through the carabiner to form the bight. The Akimbo only has to be removed when the time comes for retrieving the carabiner. It is very smooth and simple.

Yes, if working at any angle, you must not lose the rope tail.

John_KAYS likes this.
  19. FreeFallin

Ah, I see now, my brain took a different road to the same destination.

So that is kind of a hybred approach where your progress capture device (multicender in this case) is moved to the middle of the MA system as opposed to the end where I have it.

I tested this early on, but that was before I had the SCAM knot and when I was still using a solid ring. I still like having the tail captured in the system, and not having to disconnect the Akimbo to release the bight, but I need to go back and play around with this again, there would be gains in reduced friction.

This is good stuff!

20. goodaking

goodaking Active Member

yup a pulley on the bight attached to you bridge help tremendously. when i was dry crotching it helped keep things moving smooth!

FreeFallin and John_KAYS like this.