SCAM 3:1 MA and Remotely Retrievable Redirect

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by FreeFallin, Oct 21, 2017.

1. goodaking

goodaking Active Member

DSM can you post a picture of what you are describing please. Thanks IAn

2. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

A picture would be nice, but I think he is saying the multiscender is on the stationary leg of the bight directly off the knot on the carabiner. Then the rope continues from the underside of the multiscender back up through the carabiner and the tail hangs from there. This way you are still SRT, but have a retrieval tail looped into the system. Is that right? Rather than having the multiscender on the tail and the bight moving as you ascend and descend. I could be mistaken...

Tuebor and FreeFallin like this.
  3. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

Yes, it is, thanks. I will try and get a picture but your explanation is right on. I use this a lot when setting a normal haul-back with the Petzl Roll-N-Lock as the rope grab with the Petzl Z clipped to it. You can't retrieve it remotely but it is fast, can be set on a loaded line and will travel with you.

FreeFallin likes this.
  4. robinia

robinia Well-Known Member

SCAM/Pfannerman hybrid:
    IMG_5982.JPG

'SCAMmerman'?
    'PfannerSCAM'??

FreeFallin and deevo like this.
  5. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

I love it, and what a great picture! SCAMmerman is too good to pass up, it sounds kind of tuff and illegal or just an indy rock band that takes themselves too seriously
    :banda:
    but I need to give this a shot either way.

robinia likes this.
  6. dsptech

dsptech Member

If I was promoted to a position with this title I would have insisted on having an acronymed badge or patch provided for me that I could proudly wear. :risas2:

FreeFallin likes this.
  7. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Active Member

Well, my coworkers certainly had some fun with it. I live near Anacortes, WA and they have some amusing manhole covers, presumably meaning Anacortes Sanitation Service or something like that. cheers, Stewart

blob.jpg

8. dsptech

dsptech Member

:D
    Awesome.

9. Acerxharlowii

Acerxharlowii Member

Tried with rope runner yesterday and it worked well. It’s a different amount of tension to collapse the bird than without the SCAM( I think because there is not as much weight on the rr when you have the SCAM in place) but once you get the feel for it it’s nice and you don’t have to worry about it collapsing the bird because you can set it up in the opposite side

FreeFallin likes this.
  10. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it worked! When you say set it up on the opposite side... I don't have a runner so I am not sure I can visualize what you mean. Do you mean on the tail end of the rope?

Acerxharlowii likes this.
  11. Acerxharlowii

Acerxharlowii Member

No. I mean opposite side of the collapsible side of rr

12. Acerxharlowii

Acerxharlowii Member

Furthermore, with rr. I ran my bight line through a pinto pulley with biner at bridge and it was almost to smooth with very little friction and made it very jerky when descending. More gear to keep track of too can be a con but still I’d like to try it with rw as well