FreeFallin

Hey all, I have been playing around with this for the last few months and I think there is enough here to release it into the wild. I am calling it Single Carabiner Access Method (SCAM), because it needed a simple name, and the ideas are likely a conglomeration of things I ripped off ;)

As a rec climber, my intent here is to contribute to this community with what I have to offer, that being a basic knowledge of physics, a love of climbing, and the annoying habit of overthinking everything. In this case I have been working on a 3:1 MA system that is simple, remotely retrievable, self tending, can be used as a redirect, and can be setup by adding a single carabiner in the tree. I realize I am not the first person to wrap a rope around a carabiner, but the overall methodology is something I have not come across yet in my constant reading and watching of all of you.

The first video explains the basics of what I set out to do and how to setup and use a SCAM 3:1 mechanical advantage. It is a ramble, skip ahead if you don't need all the physics and logic behind what I am doing:

The second video is shorter and expands to include the SCAM Redirect and how I am using it in the tree:

Special mention to @yoyoman for kicking off my thought process, and @Tom Dunlap for the slack tending idea. Feel free to give me feedback, I am always looking for input on safety, usability, and potential ways to improve. :coffe:

Last edited:

John_KAYS

Hey all, I have been playing around with this for the last few months and I think there is enough here to release it into the wild. I am calling it Single Carabiner Access Method (SCAM), because it needed a simple name, and the ideas are likely a conglomeration of things I ripped off ;)

As a rec climber, my intent here is to contribute to this community with what I have to offer, that being a basic knowledge of physics, a love of climbing, and the annoying habit of overthinking everything. In this case I have been working on a 3:1 MA system that is simple, remotely retrievable, self tending, can be used as a redirect, and can be setup by adding a single carabiner in the tree. I realize I am not the first person to wrap a rope around a carabiner, but the overall methodology is something I have not come across yet in my constant reading and watching of all of you.

The first video explains the basics of what I set out to do and how to setup and use a SCAM 3:1 mechanical advantage. It is a ramble, skip ahead if you don't need all the physics and logic behind what I am doing:

The second video is shorter and expands to include the SCAM Redirect and how I am using it in the tree:

Special mention at @yoyoman for kicking off my thought process, and @Tom Dunlap for the slack tending idea. Feel free to give me feedback, I am always looking for input on safety, usability, and potential ways to improve. :coffe:
Love it. I love all your captions. I will have to try this out. I think a single carabiner is sweet. Nice video too. I’ll have to keep training to increase my rope walking speed after seeing your ability.

FreeFallin

Thanks for this! Have you been able to get the knot fail when it is not under load?
Yes, but only before I added the extra half wrap. I found that without that when it went from unloaded to loaded, the knot would creep down occasionally. Also if the wrap got spread down the side of the top carabiner. Once I added the extra half wrap both of those issues went away.

DSMc

FreeFallin, I played around with this some today and think it is fantastic! I have been using the ring/carabiner for this but just using the carabiner as you showed is way better. I still need some more time testing it to determine that it is safe enough but it seems to be and I'm loving it. Thanks again.

FreeFallin

FreeFallin, I played around with this some today and think it is fantastic!
That's awesome! I used the ring and keychain biner as well, then figured out I could let the ring ride up on the rope, on top of my multicender and tie something like a SCAM in the tree to get rid of the biner. That lasted for about a month then I went to bed one night thinking "I wish there was some kind of metal ring that opened on one side so I could put it on in the tree..." I woke up and face palmed myself realizing carabiners were already invented and I had a pile of them :tonto:

John_KAYS

Could also be Single Carabiner Advantage Method. ‘Cause of the mechanical advantage as well as the advantage this has being only one carabiner. Also it’s so simple you could slip that in too. Simple Carabiner Advantage Method.
I love the SCAM acronym. Will this carabiner also work on those difficult stains in my carpet, leave the windows clean without streaks, replace every cleaning agent in my house, and is it non toxic...why don’t you come to my door and try to sell it to me?

monkeylove

I like the way that looks, definitely going to try that method out next time I'm out in the trees. The videos were great, loved the "pop-up" messages. Also just subscribed to your YouTube channel.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
There...I finally had (took) the time to read about the latest scam!

A very simple system...well done.

Now I have a reason to buy a new shiny ring that opens on the side with a pulley in it...oh...a roller carabiner!

FreeFallin

Could also be Single Carabiner Advantage Method. ‘Cause of the mechanical advantage as well as the advantage this has being only one carabiner. Also it’s so simple you could slip that in too. Simple Carabiner Advantage Method.
I love the SCAM acronym. Will this carabiner also work on those difficult stains in my carpet, leave the windows clean without streaks, replace every cleaning agent in my house, and is it non toxic...why don’t you come to my door and try to sell it to me?
I like that too. My first attempt was single carabiner work positioning, but I couldn't figure out how to say SCWP :envidioso

I'm going to come sell you and @Tom Dunlap my latest invention:

Composite
Arial
Rescue
Ambidextrous
Bend resistant
Impressive
Notched
Ergonomic
Rings

They are $275 each, today only! I'll even come to your porch and lick one to prove how safe they are.

That is really cool and really simple! However I don’t own a bdb or akimbo and I’m thinking with my hitch hiker or rope wrench that the biner is already pretty cramped for space so I’m gonna try it out later maybe add a second biner to my bridge and see how it goes

FreeFallin

That is really cool and really simple! However I don’t own a bdb or akimbo and I’m thinking with my hitch hiker or rope wrench that the biner is already pretty cramped for space so I’m gonna try it out later maybe add a second biner to my bridge and see how it goes
In theory it should still work fine with the RW or the HH, just without the automatic tending part. The 3:1 and the redirect are both independent of the device.
Be sure to let me know how it does, I am interested to see if the 3:1 setup makes things easier or more complicated with a hitch based system.