SCAM 3:1 MA and Remotely Retrievable Redirect

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by FreeFallin, Oct 21, 2017.

1. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

Hey all, I have been playing around with this for the last few months and I think there is enough here to release it into the wild. I am calling it Single Carabiner Access Method (SCAM), because it needed a simple name, and the ideas are likely a conglomeration of things I ripped off ;)

As a rec climber, my intent here is to contribute to this community with what I have to offer, that being a basic knowledge of physics, a love of climbing, and the annoying habit of overthinking everything. In this case I have been working on a 3:1 MA system that is simple, remotely retrievable, self tending, can be used as a redirect, and can be setup by adding a single carabiner in the tree. I realize I am not the first person to wrap a rope around a carabiner, but the overall methodology is something I have not come across yet in my constant reading and watching of all of you.

The first video explains the basics of what I set out to do and how to setup and use a SCAM 3:1 mechanical advantage. It is a ramble, skip ahead if you don't need all the physics and logic behind what I am doing:

The second video is shorter and expands to include the SCAM Redirect and how I am using it in the tree:

Special mention to @yoyoman for kicking off my thought process, and @Tom Dunlap for the slack tending idea. Feel free to give me feedback, I am always looking for input on safety, usability, and potential ways to improve. :coffe:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

Love it. I love all your captions. I will have to try this out. I think a single carabiner is sweet. Nice video too. I’ll have to keep training to increase my rope walking speed after seeing your ability.

NE Tree and FreeFallin like this.
  3. FreeFallin

It's all in the ankles.

4. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! Have you been able to get the knot fail when it is not under load?

FreeFallin likes this.
  5. FreeFallin

Yes, but only before I added the extra half wrap. I found that without that when it went from unloaded to loaded, the knot would creep down occasionally. Also if the wrap got spread down the side of the top carabiner. Once I added the extra half wrap both of those issues went away.

Tom Lynch and DSMc like this.
  6. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

FreeFallin, I played around with this some today and think it is fantastic! I have been using the ring/carabiner for this but just using the carabiner as you showed is way better. I still need some more time testing it to determine that it is safe enough but it seems to be and I'm loving it. Thanks again.

TimBr, Tom Lynch and FreeFallin like this.
  7. NE Tree

NE Tree Well-Known Member

Nice job on the video's, the captions had me rolling. The redirect looks great, I'll give it a go when I get some time. Thanks for sharing

FreeFallin likes this.
  8. FreeFallin

That's awesome! I used the ring and keychain biner as well, then figured out I could let the ring ride up on the rope, on top of my multicender and tie something like a SCAM in the tree to get rid of the biner. That lasted for about a month then I went to bed one night thinking "I wish there was some kind of metal ring that opened on one side so I could put it on in the tree..." I woke up and face palmed myself realizing carabiners were already invented and I had a pile of them :tonto:

9. FreeFallin

Thanks, my kids think I'm a dweeb. Let me know how it goes, I am curious to see if it works as well for anyone else.

Levi.CO likes this.
  10. Steve Connally

Steve Connally Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I do have to tell you it was about 15 minutes later that I got the burr oak joke.

Cliff_Towle, FreeFallin and NE Tree like this.
  11. macswan

macswan Well-Known Member

Pretty slick man! Nice work, gonna havta play with h that

FreeFallin likes this.
  12. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

Could also be Single Carabiner Advantage Method. ‘Cause of the mechanical advantage as well as the advantage this has being only one carabiner. Also it’s so simple you could slip that in too. Simple Carabiner Advantage Method.
    I love the SCAM acronym. Will this carabiner also work on those difficult stains in my carpet, leave the windows clean without streaks, replace every cleaning agent in my house, and is it non toxic...why don’t you come to my door and try to sell it to me?

Cliff_Towle and FreeFallin like this.
  13. monkeylove

monkeylove Well-Known Member

I like the way that looks, definitely going to try that method out next time I'm out in the trees. The videos were great, loved the "pop-up" messages. Also just subscribed to your YouTube channel.

FreeFallin likes this.
  14. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

There...I finally had (took) the time to read about the latest scam!

A very simple system...well done.

Now I have a reason to buy a new shiny ring that opens on the side with a pulley in it...oh...a roller carabiner!

FreeFallin likes this.
  15. FreeFallin

Haha, I almost cut that part out, but I decided to just go for burr oak... .... stopping now.

Cliff_Towle likes this.
  16. Cliff_Towle

Cliff_Towle New Member

Great vids. Had me ROFLMAO!

FreeFallin likes this.
  17. FreeFallin

I like that too. My first attempt was single carabiner work positioning, but I couldn't figure out how to say SCWP :envidioso

I'm going to come sell you and @Tom Dunlap my latest invention:

Composite
    Arial
    Rescue
    Ambidextrous
    Bend resistant
    Impressive
    Notched
    Ergonomic
    Rings

They are $275 each, today only! I'll even come to your porch and lick one to prove how safe they are.

18. joezilla11

joezilla11 Active Member

That is really cool and really simple! However I don’t own a bdb or akimbo and I’m thinking with my hitch hiker or rope wrench that the biner is already pretty cramped for space so I’m gonna try it out later maybe add a second biner to my bridge and see how it goes

Acerxharlowii likes this.
  19. FreeFallin

In theory it should still work fine with the RW or the HH, just without the automatic tending part. The 3:1 and the redirect are both independent of the device.
    Be sure to let me know how it does, I am interested to see if the 3:1 setup makes things easier or more complicated with a hitch based system.

Acerxharlowii likes this.
  20. Levi.CO

Levi.CO Well-Known Member

Good stuff! Well edited too.

I'm not sure why but I though that you were much younger, like in your late 20's early 30's. I was all like " is this freefallin's dad?" Haha.

Freddie Fisher and FreeFallin like this.