HUMAN.....man is still at it.... THIS dude is on something

samsquatch

Only thing I really don’t like is the carelessness in the planning of the cut and that is portrayed as acceptable. It may be that the other trees were coming out (not disclosed) but smashing the hell out of other trees because couldn’t be bothered rigging, planning the fall (initial impossible notch direction, then abandoned to a possible but badly planned lay) makes arborists look lazy as hell - yes some exist but shouldn’t be portrayed on video as acceptable procedure...
Agreed. I shook my head as I saw him drop that stick into another tree. Def a rookie move. I wish there was a way for us to tell other viewers that it's not acceptable procedure. Oh wait, there is! the video comments

RBJtree

I agree with most of that. Here is what I dispute, a 48" DBH oak, 70ft tall a lead at 24" will be in the lower 1/3 to lower 1/2 especially near a house drop, which is in the lower 1/2 those proportions seem off. I was speaking generally that smaller branches are easier to manipulate that larger wood which obviously is lower down. You can always paint a picture of a situation outside a generalization. Example, no center, short wide tree many obstacles, wires everywhere. Again the example you use would be a challenge but not really what I was saying. That's why we love this work though, because things are different most every time. I do appreciate your response though because I do like those challenging ones.
Yea, that was an extreme example. Not the norm. Todays tree was a pain in the ass. Not that big, but similar situation. I'm just saying, sometimes the brush is more of challange due to circumstances.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Has anyone reached out to Human? Possibly to steer him in the right direction or address potentially dangerous situations? As I’ve come up through the ranks in my career I’ve had a few mentors to guide me, but I’ve been lucky. It’s difficult to navigate this industry because of the lack of structure and training. All I’m saying is instead of bashing him on this forum maybe we shouldn’t judge to harshly and try to help him. My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair thing. But he caught wind of me posting this and disabled it on here. That means one thing to me. He does not want true feedback. He is on here somewhere. Possibly reading as we post. How would he have got wind of the post. It was working when I posted it I am pretty sure.

Last edited:

owScott

I'm saying he's submitting his videos, without editing out the mistakes, not that he's making mistakes on purpose to get them on film. Nobody here is going to give the guy a gold medal for good tree climbing or cutting. And Youtube doesn't give him a gold medal for his tree climbing abilities either. It's all about views, and I'm not afraid to watch a video of someone who highlights mistakes in our business.
I am not saying he is making mistakes on purpose just that the idea that people will learn from his videos is not the intent of his videos. Props to him for leaving the mistakes in but i think he doesn't realize they are mistakes or the extent of the mistakes which to some of us seems lame. The root of the conversation is what is his motivation? Is it really all about views? if so i am totally out of touch which isn't out of the question. These videos represent nothing to me but a good conversation in the evening before bed. As far as the tree work shown, useless.

owScott

Yea, that was an extreme example. Not the norm. Todays tree was a pain in the ass. Not that big, but similar situation. I'm just saying, sometimes the brush is more of challange due to circumstances.
I know what you are saying though but generally height is our friend something people who don't do this don't understand. They don't need to be tall to be tough.

owScott

Fair thing. But he caught wind of me posting this and disabled it on here. That means one thing to me. He does not want true feedback. He is on here somewhere. Possibly reading as we post. How would he have gotton wind of the post. It was working when I posted it I am pretty sure.
Youtube is like homeowners they think everything is great. You post some thing here expect feedback. I don't think anyone here is bashing. This is a site where professionals chop it up and people wander on here looking for an " atta boy" after posting some bullshit should stand by. I always try and choose my words very carefully here because I expect you all to challenge me.

deevo

He has gotten better but in all honesty he just does not seem right. Not really bashing the vid, but as I am sober over 14 years I can spot addict behaviour. Hope I am wrong. His voice and demeanor just sounds wrong.
He’s probably hooked on Oxy’s from all his accidents, the guy seriously is a tool and should quit doing tree work and be a Walmart greeter

ATH

Fair thing. But he caught wind of me posting this and disabled it on here. That means one thing to me. He does not want true feedback. He is on here somewhere. Possibly reading as we post. How would he have gotton wind of the post. It was working when I posted it I am pretty sure.
Does YouTube count views differently (or is advertising different) if you have to watch it there instead of embedded here? I assumed that is why it is set that way???

samsquatch

Youtube is like homeowners they think everything is great. You post some thing here expect feedback. I don't think anyone here is bashing. This is a site where professionals chop it up and people wander on here looking for an " atta boy" after posting some bullshit should stand by. I always try and choose my words very carefully here because I expect you all to challenge me.
Wow bro, nothing like an elitist attitude! I guess greenhorns like me should turn cold shoulder and not be a part of this community? I seriously doubt that the vast majority of contributors on here are 30yr tree veterans. I know they are here, and that's what makes this place so great, because without this place those veterans would be inaccessible to someone like me.
Dude should get bashed for making stupid mistakes, otherwise the average joe watching it won't know that it's a mistake. But a dead horse is a dead horse. You think he's looking for an atta boy? You think he needs your validation? I doubt that.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
@Samsquanch he is looking for an atta boy. Let's be realistic. Watch his style and attitude. It speaks volumes. @owScott is not being elitist he is making a discerned observation. Be in this biz long enough you will be able to spot the atta boys quite easily.

Woodwork

Somewhere along the line a couple months back I saw a video where a guy was rigging down a big tree and a big piece of the tree swung around and hit the spar right next to the arborist, and it looked like it would have killed the guy if it had hit him ... is this the same guy? That video scared the bejeezus out of me, serious close call.

ETA: Never mind, I found it here.

Last edited:

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Somewhere along the line a couple months back I saw a video where a guy was rigging down a big tree and a big piece of the tree swung around and hit the spar right next to the arborist, and it looked like it would have killed the guy if it had hit him ... is this the same guy? That video scared the bejeezus out of me, serious close call.
Yes

rico

I can't speak to Humans motives with his vids, but it is very clear that he has no fucking quit in him, and loves/is proud of being a tree-man. Props for that!

Again I believe that for whatever reason he is the sort of fella that has a hard time keeping his head in the game for long periods of time so he is prone to lapses in judgement and the subsequent fuck ups. Its not for me to guess if its drugs, brain chemistry, or that's just the way he is. I do know he is gonna continue doing what he does and display his ups/downs and struggles/success's for the world to see.

Human is the quintessential underdog, and I for one am always pulling for the underdog. Here's to Corey progressing as a human and tree-man, beating his demons, and staying safe. I'm pulling for you bro.

Last edited:

samsquatch

@Samsquanch he is looking for an atta boy. Let's be realistic. Watch his style and attitude. It speaks volumes. @owScott is not being elitist he is making a discerned observation. Be in this biz long enough you will be able to spot the atta boys quite easily.
Hmm. Call me progressive, or naive maybe, but I'm not going to assume someone's motivations with an online video are so selfish without knowing the person. I guess you can be a porch dick if you want, the rest of the world will keep on spinning, and the greenhorns will take over this industry from the veterans. So, learn we will!

samsquatch

ETA: Never mind, I found it here.
That was him. Foolish, and he called himself out on it. Im glad I got to see it, from the safety of my computer.
I've heard from tree veterans this kind of thing happening if you're not careful. Had it not been for honest people ignoring their own pride when posting the vids, I would have never seen it actually happen.

southsoundtree

And there is nothing wrong with being a greenhorn. Just be cool with it. Eventually that will change. As long as one keeps learning and growing one's skillset. This is general by the way not directed at you @Samsquanch .

Everyone started at Zero. Lots of people never made it very far, past.

Doesn't take 30 years to be super pro.

Some take 30 years to be super average.

Don't start making videos that sound like Human's/ Daniel's, @samsquatch, or professing to be great, if you're good, or good if you're fair, or fair if you are dangerous.

ATH

Wow bro, nothing like an elitist attitude! I guess greenhorns like me should turn cold shoulder and not be a part of this community? I seriously doubt that the vast majority of contributors on here are 30yr tree veterans. I know they are here, and that's what makes this place so great, because without this place those veterans would be inaccessible to someone like me.
I took @owScott to mean YouTube is where you go to tell everybody how awesome you are. Buzz is where you come to learn what you did right or wrong, the same for what others did right or wrong then go do it better next time. Green or well seasoned, we all have a lot to learn and at least something to offer.

Attitude doesn't get anyone anything too useful here, it seems.

Chaplain242

Hard to nail down motives, attitudes, or level off a video as someone can pull looking like a pro or novice depending on their day, but when posting videos I believe should endeavour to either self critique and explain whole thing, or do it well, or why post it when we all know that video is a big part of learning these days.

We can’t be perfect but teaching/learning by videos can organically propagate and an effort should be made to demonstrate solid technique. I am sure if the criticism pointed at many Youtubers may have been mitigated by first getting scrutiny in-house rather than launching on Youtube and hoping technique/explanation passes expectations.

Most people that commercially train spend a lot of time rehearsing and getting feedback before launching their training. I think too quick a release of these videos is probably causing much of the angst...