WTB: Spencer DBH tape

Jzack605

Branched out member
Sick of winding by hand 50-60 trees a day on a big project injecting ash. Anyone got a spencer DBH tape in decent condition they’ll part with?

colb

Been here a while
Sick of winding by hand 50-60 trees a day on a big project injecting ash. Anyone got a spencer DBH tape in decent condition they’ll part with?
The shipping is half the cost of the tape, bruh... I think you just want to bitch about having to inject that many trees ;)

Reactions: ATH

ATH

Been here a while
Forestry Suppliers used to be my go-to as well. They've really gone down hill recently. I don't know if not has anything with it, but seemed like soon after the acquired Ben Meadows (who I also liked before).

I have been able to find almost everything I bought through them elsewhere and usually with better shipping. I've even paid more for items just because their customer service was so bad.

I think I got my last Spencer tape from Bailey's??? CSP Forestry has been another source for specialty items.

Last edited:

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I will divide the circumference by 3 and get a real close diameter measurement.

This might not be accurate enough for you though. It wouldn't take much to make up a cheat sheet and have it laminated or taped to your tool box. then you can use any old tape measure. I'd find a cloth tape to reduce the end cracking off.

Or, put this on your phone:

ATH

Been here a while
I have not found another tape that will throw around a big tree as well as a good loggers tape. Nor a tape.that easily accepts a hook it nail to hold in place while I walk around the tree. Nor one that clips on the belt well. Or that rewinds well.

Yes, the ends break. I've always assumed that is a result of being whipped around as it reels back in.

There are other Spencer tapes (or similar) that are not diameter tapes... But if you're buying that, why not just get one that does diameter?

Jzack605

Branched out member
I’ve been using lufkin. But really wish I had the rewind and better storage options hence getting the spencer. I had ordered one awhile ago but it didn’t measure DBH so I gave it to our intern who is going the forestry route. My only complaint was they’re huge!

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
After breaking the end I cut the tape at the one foot point and used throwline to make a new end with the old loop/hinge so I could use the bent nail hook. The throwline was secured to the tape with wraps of electrical tape.

A small throwbag made from a piece of tubular webbing, the shot and hinged ring from a busted throwbag for tossing around the tree.

colb

Been here a while
@Tom Dunlap if the measurements are used for consulting I want the tape to be capable of holding its own on the liability spectrum. Metal does not stretch as much over time and the dbh tapes don't have an expiry that I'm aware of. Not calculating dbh from circumference takes away a real or potential source for error - human, online calculator, hand calculator, etc. A factory issue, unaltered tape transfers liability straight from the tree to the data management system without the potential for questions to be asked, unless they are asked of the tape manufacturer.

SeanRuel

Branched out member
I have a combo loggers/ dbh tape that I drove over. Maybe fixable I just haven't taken the time and don't do injections any more. It's yours if you want to play around with it

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
@Tom Dunlap if the measurements are used for consulting I want the tape to be capable of holding its own on the liability spectrum. Metal does not stretch as much over time and the dbh tapes don't have an expiry that I'm aware of. Not calculating dbh from circumference takes away a real or potential source for error - human, online calculator, hand calculator, etc. A factory issue, unaltered tape transfers liability straight from the tree to the data management system without the potential for questions to be asked, unless they are asked of the tape manufacturer.

All very valid points

I thought that this was for determining the diameter of a tree to calculate the number of injection sites for pesticides. In this case the 'machinist' level accuracy is less important. The accuracy of a 'framing carpenter' is close enough given the variability of getting the same D measurement repeatedly in large diameter trees.

Anyone who does a lot D measurements will start making side bets with themselves to guess the D then measure. One person I met who did trunk injections got so good they didn't need to measure. Like any skill that took some kinda practice. They did measure and record when it was important. For injecting the accuracy of using the right volume of product is key not one or two more or less injectors.

ATH

Been here a while
Anyone who does a lot D measurements will start making side bets with themselves to guess the D then measure. One person I met who did trunk injections got so good they didn't need to measure. Like any skill that took some kinda practice. They did measure and record when it was important. For injecting the accuracy of using the right volume of product is key not one or two more or less injectors.
I find that depends on the trees I'm measuring. If they are all relatively close in diameter, I'll get really good at that. I did some inventory work on southern pine plantations. By the end of a day I was within 1/4" on every tree (we were measuring to 0.10). Now, when I'm marking timber in mixed hardwoods, I'll tally trees 14"-44" (on rare occasion bigger...) and everything in between (2" diameter class). When you are all over the board like that 24" and 26" start to look real similar...especially because 24.9" is tallied as 24" and 25.1" is tallied as 26".

Jzack605

Branched out member
Who ever measured the trees we are contracted to inject did a terrible job on the initial survey. Some shrank an inch or two when we confirm and many an inch-four inches off. Understandable for trees surveyed over a year ago to some extent but for them to be so wrong from a current survey this year is pretty bad. It all made sense when our “oversight” pulled out a DBH tape with a knot in it as a repair.

ATH

Been here a while
Did you contract a price based on sizes? Who provided the sizes? Net loss in diameter or net increase in diameter?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom