WTB large saw

Jhilliard6

Hi all, I'm in the market for a used large saw in the 80-100cc range, and wanted to see if anyone was looking to get rid of anything they had lying around.

I essentially need a saw that can handle a 36" bar for a eucalyptus removal I have coming up. The tree has a 6' diameter trunk at the base, but that trunk only goes up 5ft and then it's 4 smaller trunks from there. Pretty funky tree.

Currently the biggest I have is a 77cc husky 280s which I'm considering using, but I just don't know if it'll have the cajones to pull a larger bar well when buried in hardwood.

Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you

Reach

Maybe check out local rental companies? Theees a couple around here that rent big saws.
Your 77cc saw will not pull a 36” in something hard very well, our 90cc saws complain when doing it.

Jehinten

Assuming your probably running a 32" bar, you could make it work for no more than the amount of trunk that you have. Its a bit extra work but your talking about cutting it into 3 rounds if you go firewood length or only twice if you cut into 2.5' rounds for a loader to carry.

Bury your saw all the way in and work all the way around the trunk, you'll probably have about 12" left in the center, then cut from the top down to the left of that 12" and the right of that 12" you'll now be able to cut the center out, although it'll be cut a couple inches higher than the rest. Repeat for the flush cut.

Its not ideal, but if this is the only job that you need a bigger saw, it might make more sense to save the money. Also buying used saws is sometimes getting someone else's headache. The first 660 i ever bought would start and rev great, but would barely cut once in wood (I wasn't able to test in wood before buying, my mistake) ended up costing an extra $600 to have rebuilt. Then it was stolen a year later (unrelated, but while I'm complaining about it... lol)

Jhilliard6

Thank you for the replies.

I'm eyeing a couple used and missing some parts husky 390xps going for around 200 in decent condition. I could probably get one running well for 300-400 total and have a good 390 with a few hours of my labor put into it.

I've seen those holzforma saws before and they've entrigued me a bit.. you can pick one up on ebay for around 360 shipped and go through it yourself to check all hardware and retune.
I may even end up that route because it'll only be used maybe 3-4 time per year, and even a Chinese clone could last a few years under that kind of use, wouldn't you all think?

Jehinten

I've seen those holzforma saws before and they've entrigued me a bit.. you can pick one up on ebay for around 360 shipped and go through it yourself to check all hardware and retune.
I may even end up that route because it'll only be used maybe 3-4 time per year, and even a Chinese clone could last a few years under that kind of use, wouldn't you all think?
Stored properly with empty fuel and oil tanks, possibly.

I've looked into them out of curiosity. Their website has a disclaimer, (paraphrasing from memory) that if German customs opens the box and sees a complete chainsaw, they will confiscate it at your loss.

Jonny

Depends on the area and population, but I’ve had great experiences with Craigslist. My biggest saw is an MS650, looks like new, runs great, very reliable and got it for 650$.
That’s what’s nice about Craigslist or other sites that have local listings. You can look it over, and run it and decline to buy if something ain’t right.

BTW, I really like my MS650, and reviews are generally pretty positive. The big complaint is that it’s not an MS660. Same chassis, basically same saw and weight, but minus around 6cc. So a 660 would be a bit more capable saw, but I’m happy with an 85cc. Pulls a 36” in American elm and other very hard/dense wood just fine.

Jhilliard6

Depends on the area and population, but I’ve had great experiences with Craigslist. My biggest saw is an MS650, looks like new, runs great, very reliable and got it for 650$.
That’s what’s nice about Craigslist or other sites that have local listings. You can look it over, and run it and decline to buy if something ain’t right.

BTW, I really like my MS650, and reviews are generally pretty positive. The big complaint is that it’s not an MS660. Same chassis, basically same saw and weight, but minus around 6cc. So a 660 would be a bit more capable saw, but I’m happy with an 85cc. Pulls a 36” in American elm and other very hard/dense wood just fine.
Thanks Johnny, I'm actually looking at a 650 right now and may jump on it then..

chipper1

A 70cc saw will run a 36" with full skip chain just fine, but it may not oil it very well.
If you ca get 390xp's for 200 I would grab them up, parts are pretty cheap, that 650 is a solid saw too.
Personally I do everything I can to avoid the chini stuff and I hav since the mid 90s. Much of it will run great, but it's touch and go because of a lack of quality control. Back when in the mid 90's when it was imported by our own people there was better quality control, now days it's coming right from the Chinese companies and things change daily.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom