Worker's comp

Gareth's Tree

Do you guys do anything to lower workers comp? I am in a group rating program that lowers it's significantly, but, I was wondering if you do things such as tracking what hours guys spend around the shop, or doing jobs that do not required the same workers comp rate as cutting a tree down?

southsoundtree

We have to track different risk classes per employee.

Tree work is an "all day" risk class. If you do tree work for part of the day, you can't separate it from shop time, which is about 1/5 the rate.

Stump grinding is different.

Shop time in the 'contractor's permanent yard'.

Landscape Maintenance...clean-up without chippers or chainsaws, or tree climbing.

Contract estimation.

An office worker can only be an office worker, ever. Can't have an office worker who is also a field worker, as best I understand it.

Reach

We have to track different risk classes per employee.

Tree work is an "all day" risk class. If you do tree work for part of the day, you can't separate it from shop time, which is about 1/5 the rate.

Stump grinding is different.

Shop time in the 'contractor's permanent yard'.

Landscape Maintenance...clean-up without chippers or chainsaws, or tree climbing.

Contract estimation.

An office worker can only be an office worker, ever. Can't have an office worker who is also a field worker, as best I understand it.
That is my understanding as well. Our insurance company tells us that any employees who do ANY tree work must ALWAYS be classed as tree workers for work. comp. purposes. Training programs, safety manuals, provable training/safety culture can make a difference, but may not be a big enough cost difference for a small operator. Talk to your agent, they can help you figure it out. If they cannot/will not, you need a different agent.

southsoundtree

Machine power will reduce claims, increasing output, reducing employee-hours and WC.
Safety culture (starts with brain, ends with PPE) will reduce claims.
Letting people do what they want, how they want, without good training, planning and communication, creates claims.

YMMV

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
The only way I found to lower WC rates was to have all of my workers go to an industrial workers contractor. Then ‘I would ‘’hirethem as ‘day laborers’. The company charged me a percentage of total wages.

This was perfectly legit No weaseling to dodge paying full taxes and insurance.