woodsman’s surprise

pete3d

Yesterday afternoon I fell a tall, green, but rotten hearted Poplar. Once it was on the ground I discovered that the heavy trunk had trapped the rope that I had installed to pull it over. This is something that happens once in a blue moon. I had to cut the trunk about 25 feet from the stump to free the rope, something I would not typically do as the log only had value as “forest food”. As I cut the chainsaw seemed to go through the wood as though there were nothing there. I had to make three cuts and free two short blocks to release the rope. Prying the sections apart I could see that the log was completely hollow, then, out jumped a frightened but healthy looking raccoon, who immediately ran away.

Once I regained my composure, I could see that the tree had fallen in such a way that the entrance hole to the hollow section was directly against the ground not permitting the raccoon to exit. I was very chagrined at all the trouble both real and potential I had caused that raccoon, but very pleased that through extravagant good fortune he was able to escape. You might say that for that fellow lightning struck and he won the lottery.
ADFAD227-2C6F-44A6-BADB-2B5256C81900.jpeg

pete3d

Cut it into 3-ft lengths, make flippy doors out of car mats, and sell them as dog houses.
I like your thinking here Jeff but let’s take things up a notch, add a touch of class, lose the car mats and find some used Yosemite Sam mud guards for doors. That’s a little more in keeping with the rustic aesthetic of the dwelling and I’m pretty sure the raccoon would approve.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom