Wire core flipline repair?

I holster my saw on my right side, and the tail of my flipline tends to get wrapped around the bar while climbing. The other day, I grabbed my saw real quick to cut a small branch, and cut the sheath of my lanyard by accident. It's a wire core lanyard, and I cut about a foot from the end.
I already got a new lanyard, but was wondering if there's a way to cut the damaged section off and recrimp the end? Anyone have any experience doing this?

southsoundtree

Welcome!

You can make a tape stopper, so your rope-grab won't slide past the undamaged part.

The crimp (swage, I believe) is likely available at a hardware store. I'd probably just tape/ crimp one leg, and leave the factory eye.

I hang my chainsaw on the right, flip line/ lanyard tail on the left. Hand saw on left.
Might help.

rico

Yep.. Keep your cutting tools on the opposite side of your lanyard/flipline attachment point....

Running a damaged flip-line ain't worth the risk, and futzing around attempting to do a janky repair job hardy seems worth the time or effort. Chuck the damaged one and start breaking in your new one.. Problem solved....

southsoundtree

A $1 wire-clamp, taped over, comes to mind.

Damaged versus shortened.

Also depends on the replacement cost. A 15' spliced eye flip line is about twice the cost of an economy 8'er.

A picture helps most discussion... Use the 'Attach files' button, immediately below the text box when writing a post.

erwin

Yep.. Keep your cutting tools on the opposite side of your lanyard/flipline attachment point....

Running a damaged flip-line ain't worth the risk, and futzing around attempting to do a janky repair job hardy seems worth the time or effort. Chuck the damaged one and start breaking in your new one.. Problem solved....
won't work well for me. I'm right-handed, so my saw is on the right side and my flip lines have to be on that side too so I can use my right hand to flip to the left.

rico

Are you saying that you keep your lanyard adjustment (rope grab, prussic) on your right side, and you also roll your flipline from right to left? If so your setup is wrong, and is compounded by the fact that you also hang your saw on the right..

Last edited:

dsptech

I have been doing the same until recently.
Kept destroying lanyards.
Learning to throw from left to right still confounds me but I'm sticking with it.
That's what happens when you never had any training, bad habits.

rico

You do not want to have your lanyard setup hanging from the same side as your rolling hand. We are all gonna have a side that is more natural for us to roll our flip-line from, so if you roll from right to left your lanyard setup would hang on your left, and if you roll from left to right your lanyard setup would hang on the right..Your saws hangs on the opposite side as your lanyard setup, which just happens to be your strong side....That my friend is a proper west coast setup....

rico

As far as your rolling motion goes it will remain the same, and it should be easier as you no longer have your lanyard adjustment set up to contend with on your rolling side...

It will take a little getting used to having your lanyard adjuster on the other side and having to clip and unclip on the other side but you will get used to it quickly......

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom